“great location - poor breakfast”

Holiday Inn Express Chapel Hill
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Georgia
“great location - poor breakfast”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

To be fair, let me start out by saying that I stayed at this motel from July 4 - 7 during a very busy holiday. This is not my first time at this hotel. I usually stay here twice a year (alternating between this one and the one next to it) and have never had a bad experience. Up until this most recent visit, I liked this motel due to their great morning breakfast. There was ONE, very young girl working breakfast over this holiday. The morning of the 5th, I went down at 6:30 for breakfast and everything was great. On the 6th, my family and I went down at 8:00 for breakfast. There was coffee and ONE bagel left (seriously, nothing else). I ate the bagel. Not sure what the 20 people behind me did. All tables were filled and we went up to our room for me to drink my coffee and eat my bagel. We got breakfast elsewhere. On the 7th, my family went down at 8:30. There was NO coffee. The girl brought out "hot food" and it went to the people who were sitting at the tables already waiting. I went to the pancake machine and it spit out one pancake and was out of batter. I told the girl and she worked on the pancake machine for 25 minutes while there were NO muffins, hot food, coffee, etc. Everyone was complaining and leaving to eat elsewhere. Very bad start to two days! There needed to be at least two more people working breakfast. There are only 15 chairs for people to sit and eat breakfast.
Also, just for those reading this, do not be deceived by the website stating "pool". Notice it says "pool available". There IS NOT a pool at this motel. However, there is a motel next to it that has a pool. This motel has some sort of deal with the other motel that allows its guests to use that pool. It is a very short walk to the pool next door. IN addition, I had a "coupon" this time for this motel. It stated that it could not be used during holidays. I thought that meant that the rate for the actual holiday, the 4th, would cost more. I thought that I would be able to use it for the rest of the week. The girl at the desk informed me that "holiday" meant from the 4th through the rest of the week. Therefore none of my days were discounted which was a disappointment. This motel is very clean, safe, and in a quiet location. One exit on Hwy. 40 in each direction takes you to LOTS of eating places and shopping. Nice computer area with printer.

Room Tip: Took off of service due to breakfast.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Alvin S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chapel Hill, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. Thank you for alerting us to the issue regarding the breakfast and please know that this is not acceptable. We have since made some changes in the procedures and this will not happen again. We hope you will come back and give us another try to make your stay wonderful!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel three times for business, and each stay has been excellent. This particular stay was July 2013. The staff is consistently very friendly, welcoming, and helpful. Rooms are very clean, modern, and quiet. AC worked extremely well. As we are traveling with more and more gadgets these days, abundant electrical outlets are appreciated. My room had plenty of outlets right where I needed them. Free breakfast was the typical fare for HIExpress and was quite good. Nothing at all negative to say about this location. I'll continue to stay here if my business travels bring me back to Chapel Hill.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
upstate NY
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Service and staff are excellent at the HI Express. Good location just off the highway and about 10 min from UNC. Rooms are very nice with refrig and microwave. The only complaint is the A/C system which often felt very cold when set at 73, but felt warm at 68. It was impossible to get the room at a level temperature. Thermostat must have not been working correctly.

• Stayed July 2013
Dobbs Ferry, New York
Reviewed June 29, 2013

My family stayed at the Holiday Inn which is right near a small strip mall and another small mall with restaurants. It was just 5 minutes from Univ of North Carolina where my daughter was possibly looking for college. Service at the desk was excellent and the rooms were small but just fine. The breakfast waas surprisingly good. The price was definitely right and so it was a great value to stay there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Alvin S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chapel Hill, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. We are happy that we were able to provide a good stay with good value for you. Please come back to visit us again when you are in the area!
Johns Creek, Georgia
Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a few hours, we were visiting friends and used this as a sleepover place. Made reservations through hotwire. Checked in late at 11.30 pm. Everything was great but come Sunday morning when you have nothing else to worry about and want to sleep, we were woken up by knocks on the door, by housekeeping at 9 am, I did not want to get up and shouted saying we are sleeping, but the knocks kept coming and I had to walk to the door to say we are sleeping. Unfortunately that was it, could not go back to bed and just checked out by 9.30 am. I don't know if it's lack of training or stupidity.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Peaceful H
Alvin S, Principal Correspondent at Holiday Inn Express Chapel Hill, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. I sincerely apologize that we did not deliver on our goal of giving the best service for each of our guests. We will use your feedback to get better on that goal and we will make sure that we make the necessary housekeeping training adjustments. Thank you again and please give us another chance on your next trip to our area.
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I just returned from an 85 day stay, alone, at this hotel. I was there for medical treatment at UNC. The manager, Orlando Faison, has shaped the employees into a dream team. I used to be the Customer Service Trainer for a fortune 500 company. I have also taught and practiced interior design. I notice things others would not. I had a very comfortable mattress, a hi-def TV, a large enough desk to do serious work, and unfailing wi-fi. Even the shower head was wonderful. The maintenance folks, Greg and Dino, proactively maintain the rooms. That means you won't get a clanking heater/AC. Over all that time, actually nothing broke, but Dino kindly made a minor modification in my room so I could get some real fresh air.

I would never have made it for 85 days with the HIE only paying attention to the task and objects in their care. I made it because the employees are cordial and caring. To me, that's the greatest form of customer service. On the front desk, Tony often asked about my well being. Being 5.5 hrs. from my home for so long, I really appreciated it. They knew my name and had the good customer service skills to used it. Most often, Florencia cleaned my room. I wonder if the boss knows that in spite of having her own 6 kids at home, on Mother's Day, she was cleaning my room with the same big smile on her face that she always has. I was humbled. She's so good at her job, I wanted to take her home. One day, when I was ill, Sylvia in Housekeeping put some breakfast aside for me. Dino, in Maintenance is known for his random acts of kindness, in addition to his professionalism and skill. When I was too ill to lift so much as a lima bean, he assited me with bags and heavy items in and out of my car. He's focused on the needs of others and thinks out of the box.

For all kinds of good restaurants, you have only to drive less than about 4 miles in various directions to have your choice. With a fridge in the room, you can refrain from eating out too much. You'll have easy access to UNC hospitals and they offer a shuttle van to go there. This HIE has managed to plant itself in a PERFECT location. Easy driving to any and everything. If they don't have what you are looking for in a 5 mile radius, you don't need it.

I will be returning for cancer follow-up visits, and this place gives me comfort and quietness to recover. As a woman traveling alone, I was safe and happy. A special thanks to Monalynn, Clifton, Harshal, Kiara, Jed, K.C., Moe Soe, Greg, Dino, Sylvia, Tony, and Florencia, for making my life so much better than it might have been, as a cancer paitient. I am an expeienced traveler and have even had an extended stay in The Netherlands. This place is great in no small part due to the employees.

Room Tip: Room 207 is not too close to the elevator, or the ice machine, thus it's quiet. Outside the win...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank NewDog2
Greenville, SC
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I booked this because I was traveling on business, but stopping in Chapel Hill to visit with some old friends. The hotel is within walking distance to a strip mall that has a few restaurants, including a Thai restaurant.

This hotel sits next to a Hampton Inn but the Holiday Inn was $40/night less. Check in was easy and at the time the desk person informed that there is a manager reception in the Hampton Inn I was welcome to join if I wanted - both are owned by the same corporation so there is reciprocity.

The room was comfortable with flat screen TV and nice work area. The bed was comfortable. The free hot breakfast was fine as they go.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank bfstacy
Alvin S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chapel Hill, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Thank you so much for your review! We are glad you enjoyed the breakfast and our newly upgraded HD TV's! It is great to be able to share amenities with our sister property next door as well. Please do not hesitate to come back and visit with us again!