“Not too good”

Captain John's Dockside
Ranked #95 of 312 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Seated right away and the service was quite good. The food just wasn't good. It wasn't even average, which is a shame because it had decent reviews.

Reviewed April 13, 2018 via mobile

Dockside has soft shell crabs in for the season. They are 3 for $21. You also get a salad and a potato of your choosing. The service is excellent. The soft shell crabs were excellent!

Reviewed January 25, 2018

I went to Dockside a month or so ago and ordered one of their Greek special platters... it was delicious! I've been back ever since for more broiled (and fried) fish. I ended up having my birthday party in the Bar event space in the back, and it was perfect. Fit all of my friends and family, and had a great fun, friendly atmosphere. Food is always fantastic, and Capt. John is extremely nice!

1  Thank goHeels2018
Reviewed December 28, 2017

When I first moved to NC years ago, it seemed like there were a lot of restaurants like Dockside, I'm talking about fried seafood restaurants. To me Dockside is like one of those old style restaurants, and going there is like stepping back in time. For better or worse.

We've eaten here probably a half dozen times over the last few years and the food has always been pretty good. Most of what we've eaten has been fried seafood, although it isn't something I want to eat often. Lately we've been ordering their salt & pepper catfish, which we both think is the best thing we've eaten there. I'll also mention that they have really good hush puppies, although we try not to eat too many of them.

Reviewed October 6, 2017

We've dined here many times over the past 20+ years and overall the food is usually good. (They changed the breading on the fried foods awhile back and don't care for it. ) Last night we came close to walking out before even sitting down. As the sweet hostess was trying to find us a table we could hear her ask 2 waitresses if she could seat us at their station. The first said "no, I'm too full now. You've got to give us a break!" The other also said no way as she stormed past the hostess and us standing there in disbelief ! They actually cared not that PAYING customers were standing there watching it all! Finally, the hostess sat us at a table and one of the waitresses rushed by and said "be with you in a minute". Five minutes later, another waitress named "BJ" stopped and took our drink order (it wasn't even her station). When the first waitress finally came by we told her BJ got us, her only reply "I'll see if she'll keep your table" as she rushed off. BJ was very nice and attentive, even though she obviously was also very busy. Captain John might want to speak to his wait staff about attitude and customer service. Might need more wait staff too.

Been to Captain John's Dockside? Share your experiences!