“Don't”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed June 29, 2013

It was very disappointing. The food was lacklustre and tasted very bland. I ordered one of the specials which was a pork vindaloo. While the amount of sourness and heat was nice, the pork was all tripe or cuts from the belly. I left all the pieces of pork because they were just pure soft fat. Moreover, the meal was not cooked fresh. When our waiter was unsure whether they had enough pork vindaloo another reassured him that there was five gallons of it out back. For me at least, I would expect my food to be prepared fresh, especially given that I payed $18 for it. The curry was part of a Thali, yet I received no Bhaji as written and two of the "dishes" were a teaspoon of raita half a teaspoon of lime pickle. Seating was a wooden bench out of which tree-sap was leaking. When i stood up my white trousers stuck and are now stained.

There are newer reviews for Vimala's Curryblossom Cafe

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Vimala's is a relatively recent addition to the Chapel Hill eating scene. Since opening about three years ago, VImala's has gained greater popularity with those looking for inexpensive Indian food in the heart of Chapel Hill. We went there on a Wednesday night for the first time.

You order food at a counter and seat yourself. The food is then brought to your table. Service was swift and friendly. The staff are definitely the 'alternative' crowd which makes it a fun place.

We ordered the vegetable pakoras and were surprised with a huge platter of crisp goodies. Our entrees were the kimchi uthappam. If you haven't ever tried either kimchi or uthappam, this is the way you want it. The kimchi was sour and spicy while the uthappam was crisp and steaming hot -- just the way it is served in south India. The sambhar (the lentil broth that typically accompanies many south Indian dishes) was loaded with vegetables and spiced just right though normally it would be a lot more soupy.

We had no room for dessert but while we contemplated it, Vimala stopped by our table to chat about the history of the restaurant and to make sure that we were having an enjoyable experience. How wonderful!

2  Thank SelectTraveler
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Mango Lassi was sour, the sweetness is very much part of the taste was missing. Chicken Salad was fine but Chole plate barely made the cut. Overall, 2 stars; needs a bit of class and real taste of Indian food. I guess I yet to come across good Indian food in the triangle. So Vimala's Kitchen didn't really surprise me..

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Wonderful food in a relaxed setting. Great patio. Vimala is an amazing woman with a generous heart who makes great food. Try it!

1  Thank stokesnet
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We had heard about this "socially responsible" Indian restaurant, and went there for a celebratory dinner with our two kids. The decor is shabby, the tables like those you would get at a bad garage sale, the line long (I have no idea why so many people eat here, simply donate some money to a charity if you want to help out, and go elsewhere to eat good food, I say!!), and the food quality very poor. This is the first and only place where a garlic naan is not made in a tandoor, but is a reheated readymade bread you get in the Indian grocery stores ($1 for a pack of 10 or so), with some garlic sauce smeared on it. I have eaten in Indian restaurants in many US states over the past two decades and this uniformly is the absolute worst Indian food I have come across. If they are "socially responsible", I admire that, but for goodness' sake, serve some decent INDIAN food if you call yourself an Indian restaurant.

Like one other reader said, there are several Indian restaurants in Chapel Hill/Durham/Morrisville/Cary/Raleigh, so you can safely skip this one (if you want to eat Indian food, that is).

BTW, we ate out another day at another Indian restaurant as a make up meal, we did not want our celebratory dinner to be this bad!!!

5  Thank World_Traveller2050