“Intimate restaurant with excellent food”
Review of Kitchen

Kitchen
Ranked #19 of 298 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have been to Kitchen on multiple occasions, including lunch and dinner. I never leave disappointed. The food is always wonderful. I love the mussels and have very much enjoyed their fresh salads. The restaurant is very small inside but I very much like the intimate feel. Food and decorum very much feel like a French Bistro. It is a wonderful hidden gem in Chapel Hill.

1  Thank amf5100
There are newer reviews for Kitchen

Reviewed April 21, 2013

My wife and I have been eating at Kitchen regularly ever since it opened about four years ago. The Barrows who own and operate Kitchen are gracious hosts and Dick is a very talented and experienced chef. The menu is basically French bistro with some standards such as duck confit, mussels and fries and hanger steak that are always available. There are always specials that typically are dependent on fresh ingredients that become available. They have a good selection of reasonably prices wines (by the glass or bottle) beers and ales with some on tap. The staff has always been nice and helpful. They do accept reservations for groups of five or more. We often try to arrive by about 5:45 so we can get a table. If you arrive at 6:30 or so you may understand Yogi Berra's observation about his favorite restaurant: "The place is so popular, no body gies there any more." If you encounter that situation, you can give your name to Sue Barrow and ask her how long before you can be seated and them spend dome pleasant minutes in a nearby pleasant independent bookstore, The Flyleaf, which is inn the same strip mall.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

We have been to Kitchen a few times. They generally do very good job and have earned a good reputation. We recently had flounder there that was done very nicely, as was rabbit (!), a special that night, and the lamb ragout, but our swordfish was overcooked, so it was tough. It's surprising that they would serve swordfish overcooked, because it goes from being fabulous to not so good very quickly, and suggests that they don't know how to do it. They also had a Macon white wine that was not as good as the usual white burgundies from that area.

The other notable about Kitchen is that the noise level can be very high.

Overall the menu is unusual and good. We'll go back, but I hope our experiences are better in the future, and we'll go early so it's a little less noisy.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Went to dinner here on a recommendation from a friend. My wife, son and I had a great meal. Everything was excellent. Service was great, local brews, local food, local feel. It is fine dining quality wrapped up in Chapel Hill casual.
We have returned and the experience was the same.
This is a great restaurant.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

My husband and I come eat a the bar fairly often, you can't go wrong with big plates or small. The food is very consistently excellent and the service is top-notch. I love the smoked fish plates, chopped salad and my husband loves the steak frites but he claims the hamburgers are the best ever. Nice selection of big and small plates. Great spot and great folks!