“Great Food, Great Owners”
Review of Kitchen

Kitchen
Ranked #15 of 300 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went out with some friends last night for dinner. We had a wonderful meal and the menu was fantastic. The restaurant uses fresh ingredients and has such a nice French flare.

The only drawback is that there are no reservations allowed. Also, with such a small bar, you are left with the dilemma of possibly waiting (up to an hour) or going elsewhere. Fortunately for us, our friends packed a nice cheese plate and we grabbed a bottle of wine-yes, a defacto tailgate before eating :)

Overall, great place to eat! We will return.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Small restaurant in a strip mall, but great food and friendly and knowledgeable wait staff. I ordered something that I did not enjoy and they noticed and gave me a new meal at a lower cost. They aim to please. Lots of folks come there for drinks and appetizers. I will definitely go back there - soon!

Reviewed February 19, 2013

A new place to try for dinner can be intimidating. As soon as you walk through the door of this tiny place, you feel as if the laundromat next door can't possibly exist in the same building. My friend and I sat at the bar and had a fantastic experience. Ever notice how waitstaff can either make or break a place? This place knows exactly how to treat their customers, with just enough attentiveness to be helpful, without overdoing it. We started with the charcuterie pate and baked oysters (a somewhat strange pick together, but still fantastic). The pate is obviously homemade, and has the spicy mustard to compliment it perfectly. We each tried a different entree, and each was delicious and flavorful, so much so that we didn't speak for several minutes-we were too busy savoring the bites. We recommend the Thai mussels with french fries, and also the coq a vin. Coq a vin is a dish that many claim to have perfected, with very few actually succeeding. And coming from a person who has a French heritage and grew up with traditional French food, this particular version of the classic was mouth-watering. The flavors were so perfect, so simple, it seemed a shame to not be face down in the bowl. And for the amount of food you get, the value seems like a steal. Dessert is not something to be missed in a place like this. The apple tostado and the creme brûlée were a great choice, but somehow I think that you couldn't go wrong with anything on that menu. As I gazed around, it seemed other customers were choosing a variety of items, so obviously this place is not known for just one particular item. I liked the French flair to this little place, and I plan on definitely coming back. The only person this place might not work for is little kids, as this appeared to be a place that catered to adults, with no children's menu in sight.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

I wrote a review of Kitchen several months ago titled "Flambéed" after having a very badly overcooked meal. But so many of my knowledgeable friends had insisted that it was a good place, I noted then that I thought it deserved a second chance. It did.

One of the things I really most enjoy eating is pâté. Kitchen's house pâté is the best I've ever had. Anywhere, anytime. It comes on the cheese board and I could have eaten way too much. They also offered Chateau Vitallis Mâcon-Fuissé, an enormously pleasing Chardonnay that was a perfect pairing.

Go. Eat.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Kitchen looks unpromising: a strip mall on the edge of town. But inside is a different story: it's cool, with a real buzz, and excellent lighting and decor. Our food ranged from the good (an underpowered mac and cheese, a very small but tasty leek tartlette) to the outstanding - a stout and chocolate cheesecake described as 'orgasmic', salmon was 'perfectly cooked', the squash and mushroom gnocchi was excellent. Some fabulous wine on the list.

Definitely a place to brings out of towners to show them what great style and flair there can be in NC.

Kitchen doesn't take bookings and there was a line - spend the wait time in the nearby bookshop or having a cocktail at Lucha Tigre (2 doors down), or bring your laundry and wait in the warmth of the adjacent laundrette.