“Second Opinion”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I wrote a review of Kitchen several months ago titled "Flambéed" after having a very badly overcooked meal. But so many of my knowledgeable friends had insisted that it was a good place, I noted then that I thought it deserved a second chance. It did.

One of the things I really most enjoy eating is pâté. Kitchen's house pâté is the best I've ever had. Anywhere, anytime. It comes on the cheese board and I could have eaten way too much. They also offered Chateau Vitallis Mâcon-Fuissé, an enormously pleasing Chardonnay that was a perfect pairing.

Go. Eat.

There are newer reviews for Kitchen

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Kitchen looks unpromising: a strip mall on the edge of town. But inside is a different story: it's cool, with a real buzz, and excellent lighting and decor. Our food ranged from the good (an underpowered mac and cheese, a very small but tasty leek tartlette) to the outstanding - a stout and chocolate cheesecake described as 'orgasmic', salmon was 'perfectly cooked', the squash and mushroom gnocchi was excellent. Some fabulous wine on the list.

Definitely a place to brings out of towners to show them what great style and flair there can be in NC.

Kitchen doesn't take bookings and there was a line - spend the wait time in the nearby bookshop or having a cocktail at Lucha Tigre (2 doors down), or bring your laundry and wait in the warmth of the adjacent laundrette.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Greg Cox from the local Raleigh paper, just released his top 25 restaurants in the area...and kitchen is one of them. We live around the corner and didn't know it existed, so last night we thought we would try it and give it a go. I am so pleased we did - great food, atmosphere and the staff are friendly and welcoming! They don't take bookings, so thank goodness we arrived at 5.30pm on a Friday night because by 5.40pm there were no spare seats. My husband had oysters and coq an vin and I had escargot and gnocchi. Everything was delicious, and we have a great bottle of Pinot noir to top it all off! This place is a hidden gem and well worth checking out!!

Reviewed January 30, 2013

We love 'Kitchen'. It's our go to place for excellent food with a fun, stylish yet casual ambience. We've been there several times for special occasions and for a quick bite. It reminds us of some of our favorite New York haunts. But it's even better since the staff brings forth some of that southern charm and hospitality. Their beet salad and the Mussels with fries are excellent staple choices we enjoy. They also change up the menu so we're always up for something new and they never disappoint. Great place and a hidden Chapel Hill gem!

Reviewed December 23, 2012

Simply put, great fresh food expertly prepared.

We went there for lunch while visiting Chapel Hill.

The menu is french but accessible, with a mix of enough but not too many choices. I had nichoise salad; everything was fresh, with an appropriately light but flavorful dressing. My wife, (who is not vegan), had the vegetarian sandwich and found it to be wonderful.

Don't let the appearance from the street deter you. It is a little place in a small commercial strip with a simple sign. Inside it is pleasant but unpretentious. The food is the star here.