“A work of art on a plate”
Review of One Restaurant - CLOSED

One Restaurant
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: W. Barbee Chapel Road
Transit: Service by Chapel Hill Transit Authority.
Description: [ONE] offers elegantly simple cuisine paired with distinctive International wines. Integrated dining and kitchen areas allow you to watch our chefs prepare one-of-a-kind dishes that will please all the senses. Whether you are looking for a casual ambiance in which to enjoy rare wines or just a fresh take on local fare, [ONE] is your one place for good food and wine.
Reviewed May 27, 2012

The flavors of each course were amazing and unique. I got the seafood crudo with siracha sorbet. My husband got the foie gras. For entrees I got the halibut with compressed mango/ avocado salad and my husband got the steak freeze. The explosion of complex flavors in our dishes rendered us speechless for a moment. So often we are blown away by the appetizers in these artsy restaurants that when the entree comes it pales in comparsion. NOT SO HERE!
For dessert I got the passionfruit souffle and my husband, the preserved fig. Words cannot express how much I enjoyed the souffle. Bravo to the individual who invented the combinations of flavors we experienced last night, you are very talented. Go online and read the menu. The descriptions are spot on.
Our service was perfect. A host made regular rounds to check if we were enjoying our dishes. It happened so the white sangria was not for us (we are martini-types). The host graciously offered a replacement from the bar. The wine list is top notch. They offer all our favorites,
Far Niente, Heitz Cellars, Caymus Reserve & many others. Also notable is that the "by the glass" wine was excellent quality. Often the wines by the glass in restaurants are the cheaper ones. I will say that the restaurant was probably 50% full. I hope once people hear about this place, the service and food remain unaffected. If so, this place will definitely be on my 'regular' dinner list.

Reviewed May 16, 2012

Whether one goes for lunch or dinner the menu always surprises and it's a challenge to choose. On a recent visit for dinner we started with the Baby Mixed Green Salad with Hazelnuts. The salads were bigger than the usual serving and well-executed....beyond the standard lack- luster salads which often appear at table.
My companions ordered the Miso & Palm Sugar Salmon "Sous Vide": French for under a vacuum. This method brought out the flavors perfectly and made for a tender fish. Accompanied by Bok choy and forbidden rice it exhibited none of the rococco excesses which some times occur in Asian Fusion cooking.
Another friend had Duck...done crispy and medium cooked...no grease, dryness or toughness. I opted for the Scallops: big meaty scallops cooked also to perfection and given just enough seasoning to compliment the seafood.
Our server was helpful and had great suggestions on wine, The list is farily extensive.
For dessert we had the Milk Chocolate assortment: in this arrangement the Avocado Ice Cream (yes, avocado) was a revelation as was the Semi Freddo which literally means half frozen...it's similar to ice cream ( but in this instance superior to it). Velvety chocolate perfection.
The atmosphere in this open kitchen restaurant is calm, inviting and sophiscated.I hope the Chef keeps imaginative & innovative menu coming: I can't wait to see what the Summer menu will bring!

Reviewed March 26, 2012

Simply put, One is really good. We had eaten there several months ago and while we had enjoyed the food, the service was erratic. That has been fixed and One is a winner. Inventive and delicious food, a very good wine list, with interesting wines at all price points, and fine service. It is an unusual space, but a very nice one, with good lighting and plenty of room -- one does not feel shoe-horned in. Overall, a great place to go.

Reviewed March 9, 2012

I'm surprised at some of the recent reviews that were a bit lukewarm or worse. I recently returned from a second trip to One and I thought that it was really good. The service that we experienced here was some of the more polished and professional that we've encountered in the Triangle. They also do as good of a job with presentation as anyone in the area (a weak spot of many of the better places in the RDU area). But most importantly, the food was delicious. I had a lamb dish that was perfectly cooked, really one of the better lamb entrees that I've had and I eat a lot of lamb. They also do a great job with soups, the two that we've had here have been outstanding, full of an interesting depth of flavors. They also have a good wine list, and we've received good recommendations from the sommelier. Next to Lantern, this might be my favorite fine dining restaurant in the Triangle right now.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

We have been to One several times since its opening over a year ago. They have an interesting and changing menu with some interesting meat, fish and vegetarian choices. One time I had one of the best roasted salmon entrees served with brussels sprouts and mashed parsnips. The next time the white fish was decidedly overcooked and the vegetables nearly dead.

On one occasion we ordered a bottle of Caymus Conundrum (due to its medium-dry character it is best served quite cold). When it came the bottle was almost at room temperature and obviously too sweet. The waiter told us it was the last bottle and the best they could do was put it on ice. Wish they had told us before it was opened.

Service has been slow and almost forgetful on almost every occasion we have gone. One time I had to remind the waiter that he had forgotten to put the cost for our wine order on the bill!

This restaurant has the makings of an excellent eatery but a lot of things will need to change for that to happen.