“Excellent food, especially if you're into seafood”
Review of One Restaurant - CLOSED

One Restaurant
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: W. Barbee Chapel Road
Transit: Service by Chapel Hill Transit Authority.
Description: [ONE] offers elegantly simple cuisine paired with distinctive International wines. Integrated dining and kitchen areas allow you to watch our chefs prepare one-of-a-kind dishes that will please all the senses. Whether you are looking for a casual ambiance in which to enjoy rare wines or just a fresh take on local fare, [ONE] is your one place for good food and wine.
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Shane Ingram's Chapel Hill venture reflects his unique style. The emphasis on presentation is obvious. If you're into seafood, this place is worth a visit. I am not, so there were slim pickings for me, but my spouse loved the seafood entrees. The desserts are prepared in one corner of the open kitchen, and we were next to this section. It was extremely well done and delightfully presented. The presentation of the wine list on an iPad was somewhat unique. The lounge is wonderful. Worth a visit.

Reviewed July 28, 2011

Decor is spartan - but food is superbly prepared and presented. My cioppino and wife's sashinmi tuna starter was up to San Francisco standards. Crispy skin chicken on an bed of interesting vegetable melange, and a wild salmon dish were excellent.
Wine and beer list is extensive, and there was a variety of appetizing desserts - if we only had room left.
There is ample parking - always important

Reviewed July 13, 2011

It was a Wednesday night, my boyfriend and I were starving. Not just starving for substance but starving for food that was worth eating. We had dined at ONE for lunch before and were blown away by the quality of food and service. (The BLT is the best. Juicy and flavored to perfection.) We decided to splurge a bit and go for dinner. Upon entering the restaurant an endearing young woman greets us with a smile and welcomes us in like we were family. We are late eaters so most places are not too thrilled to see us walk in at 7:30 (dinning prime time) without reservations. The restaurant was busy but not over crowded. We were given several options on seating, they serve the dinner menu in their bar area which is totally posh and cool but you feel comfortable is jeans and then they have a "food bar" which overlooks the open air kitchen in addition to regular table seating. We decided on the main dining room. After settling in our server was extremely helpful in helping us pick a bottle of wine to pair with our entrees. Service was great, they really go out of the way to be professional but friendly and we were well taken care of. For apps we had an octopus salad and ceviche, two things I had never dreamed of eating. WONDERFUL. Both dishes prepared perfectly, the octopus was nice and tender, full of flavor. Then we had the scallops and steak. I love scallops so I am generally really picky when I eat them. Both entrees were great, maybe less salt next time. The steak was cooked medium rare and we actually ate it medium rare (I hate when you order meat and it come to your table over cooked). We shared a dessert, a lemon tart that was to die for. It looked like a work of art on the plate and tasted even better. As you can tell we really enjoyed this spot. We will be going back as often as we can!

Reviewed March 18, 2011

My wife and I dined here recently, attracted by the reviews on Trip Advisor. Decor was very nice, wait service was professional. The food was not. Our salads were horribly overdressed, I had asked for the kitchen to leave off the pear slices from mine -- didn't happen. I had braised short rib which was truly excellent, although the vegetables were somewhat undercooked. However, my wife's duckbrest, supposedly medium rare, was very undercooked and therefore tough. It was largely inedible. Coffee was good [decaf expresso] but the dessert [supposedly a macaroon with sorbet] was atrocious. It consisted of a pile of tasteless, non-complementary bits [dry brownie, piece of round chocolate, piece of round mint-like stuff and strawberry sorbet] one on top of the other. We had thought to go back there next weekend while staying in Durham overnight but will now dine elsewhere.

Reviewed March 6, 2011

A friend recommended One Restaurant and after reading reviews we went their for my birthday. The food was sensational and gluten free friendly which is always great for me since I have Celiac Disease. It was fun to peruse the wine list on the iPad they hand you when you sit down. The waitress was professional yet easygoing and hip. My only complaint is the lighting was a bit bright if you are seated near the open kitchen. I hope to go back next time I am in Chapel Hill. My husband found the interior a little cold or bare but I liked the contemporary feel.