“Aloft is A Laugh”
Review of Aloft Chapel Hill

Aloft Chapel Hill
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Reviewed November 15, 2010

The Aloft in Chapel Hill , NC Is ok if you are 20 to 30 years old. The beds are unconfortable , they don't seem to look out for the older gender. Your room consist of a bed , TV , shower , sink , somewhere to hang your cloths , a VERY SMALL fridge , and a thin posh couch. The lobby is the only place with half way confortable seating , if you can find one without some very rude patrons. The female staff were very nice , however was promissed an item for several nights never recieved. On top of everything , we had a very sick family member , and told them that we may have to stay a few nights past our reserved time and would like to reserve our same room for a couple of more nights , they said they could accomidate us , but when time to deal with one of the male staff that claimed he put notes on our account , it was like he was in a forget zone and it went down hill from there. If you are a game person and like to party , carry on to the Aloft. If you are not , like we were not , dont go there. VERY OVER RATED JET SET , not for us older generation.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank Whatever088
Chelsea_Alexander, General Manager at Aloft Chapel Hill, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2010

We regret that you did not enjoy your stay and apologize for any inconvenience. We typically pride ourselves on offering exceptional customer service and regret that this was not your experience.
Aloft as a brand is non traditional in its look and feel. The loft like rooms are designed to be modern, spacious and simplistic. The lobby on any given day is promoted as being a lively, upbeat destination for mixing and mingling and even more so on a city wide event like a UNC home football weekend. With these attributes, this non traditional atmosphere may not appeal to everyone.

Reviewed November 8, 2010

A great hotel in an awesome location. Staff was incredible and the whole experience was very cool. Not your normal hotel. Has a great bar and good specials.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2010

I get the them behind aloft, but I've stayed at a lot of different hotels and I would say Aloft, for the money, was just mediocre. The beds were definitely not that great and honestly the place looked a little dirty, like someone needed to vaccum. If you want to spend 100 dollars plus, I would say stay a couple of exits down at Hotel Sierra. Aloft does not have a full kitchen or any seating but Hotel Sierra is home away from home, I love it. Aloft is also located in a random location with a view of the gas station. It is also true about the firetrucks(previous users review), they do go off and it's LOUD. The only thing I really liked was walking across the street to a spot called JuJuBe, the food was soooo good.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2010

Aloft is a unique experience, almost an adventure in itself. Guests are made to feel special in every possible way. Although totally state of the art, wireless, connected etc., the net effect of this establishment is similar to staying in a very high end B&B. If all the Aloft "instances" that constitute this hotel chain are like the one in Chapel Hill, a new standard has been set, and the bar for competitors is very high indeed. The associate, who greeted us, dealt with all our little "wants" over the next 48 hrs, and seemed to work tirelessly throughout, is a truly exceptional person -- her name is Karen.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2010

We stayed here because of it's proximity to the UNC campus, it's convenience to RDU airport, and it's reasonable price. The fresh air and modern decor of this urban style hotel is noticable right away when you walk in the door from the loading area, where we were greeted by friendly and helpful staff. There is plenty of comfortable seating space near the check-in desk, around a half wall with a pool table, and more seating in a lounge area with a nicely decorated bar at the back that serves drinks and small appetizers. There were several other young couples in the bar/lounge area each time we passed through to the elevators, so I got the sense that some people like to come and just have a drink. There was hip music playing all the time, but nothing that I would consider obnoxious or rowdy. There were also computers available behind the check-in desk for guests.

The re:fuel area had a nice mix of fresh drinks, ice cream, and sandwiches for a reasonable price, and we bought sandwiches for a late night snack the second night - they were pretty tasty (the sandwich + chips + drink is a great deal, BTW). We didn't use the gym or the pool, but we checked out both and they were gorgeous: nice open pool area with seating and towels nearby, and the treadmills, etc. had nice big personal TVs.

What struck me the most was the modern, colorful decor in the entire hotel, and I really liked it a lot. I wouldn't say our room was small by any means, but it was surprising how cleverly they used the space, with high ceilings making our room feel bigger. Modern bath fixtures and a nice big stand-up shower. They also had coffee/tea and a single-cup coffee maker in the room, which was great. We got free wifi (not sure if that was because we are SPG members or not), which was reliable and fast. Our room also had a very comfortable king bed with a big flat-panel TV mounted on the wall with lots of free channels, and a really awesome media-hookup box on the desk that I've never seen at a hotel before (A/V inputs, HDMI, USB, etc.). We didn't test it with the TV, but it's definitely intended to be used to hookup your laptop, etc. to the TV. I used the USB port to charge my phone without a problem, and I definitely think this is a nice modern feature of the rooms. Our room had two nice big windows that went all the way to the ceiling, and the lighting was soft and gentle in the room, even though they use fluorescent lighting throughout. We got the sense that they were very environmentally conscious at this hotel (e.g., no trash can liners, recycled paper cups, energy efficient lighting, etc.).

My only complaint would be that the bar's food offerings are pretty limited, but the re:fuel station (24hrs., self-serve, then the desk can just put it on your room) more than makes up for it. If you want a real meal when staying here, there were several shopping centers nearby, and the little square up the steps above the hotel's parking garage within sight of the front door that has a gelato place, thai, and a few other restaurants. We'll definitely go back!

Reviewed October 3, 2010

The hotel was really very cool and hip, but clearly these reviews were written by the staff!.

Here's the real truth about Aloft... I loved the decor and the staff was very friendly. The look of the hotel and the room was clearly its best feature. The bathroom and shower tile looked like wall paper, something I have not seen and thought was funky. I loved the large bench and the big flat screen TV also. The lobby had a look and feel of a metro night club, and the bar was awesome with fiber optic lights built in to the counter. So as far as the look, it was top notch.

However, as nice as the materials were, many things about the room were simply not practical or functional. For example, there is no door or partition separating the bathroom area from the bedroom area. They are back to back on the same wall. So if one person needs to use the bathroom in the middle of the night or early morning, they wake up the person sleeping if they turn on the light.

The toilet and shower area could be closed off by a heavy pocket door for privacy from the sink area, but again no separate light switch for the toilet/shower area, so if you shut the door be prepared to be in the dark. That means if you need to use the toilet in the evening, you must leave the door open to get the light. No door to separate from the bedroom area means you can also hear the person in the bathroom too! The one shower wall is the wall to the right of the bed on the other side. It’s frosted, so you don’t see in, which was aesthetic, but not practical. Light coming from the shower goes into the bedroom too. (Can you tell I am not a morning person?) Call me crazy, but I just think certain bathroom activities should be private.

Then there were a bunch of little things too. There are no hooks in that bathroom either, so after a shower, there is no place to hang your towels. The towels were on a rack above the toilet, but if someone is in there with the pocket door closed (obviously during the day), the other person doesn't have access to towels unless they disturb the person on the toilet. There is plenty of room under the sink, so they need to put extra towels and washcloths there too.

Another problem is there is no microwave, which in a necessity in every room. There is plenty of room for one, next to the coffee maker, so I didn't understand why the room didn't have one.

We had a lot of TV channels to watch, including ones I would have to pay for at home which was nice, but none of the music channels were available. It would have been nice to have that option.

So again, it was a modern, metro and "swanky" place with some cool materials, but you can't forget the practicality of the rooms either, which is the case with Aloft.

Reviewed October 1, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Aloft for a weekend, and while we had a nice enough time, we definitely think it's lacking in a few things. And let me point out we've stayed at some really nice hotels all over the country, including the young, trendy cool chains like Kimpton.

The "cool factor" at Aloft is taken so far that the guest rooms are too stark and, quite frankly, just end up looking cheap. The only audience this would impress would be those who haven't stayed at other hotels like this but do it much better, like Kimpton.

The guest rooms were very mono-chromatic with absolutely NO art on the walls... not even modern, abstract art. Just nothing. The king size bed only had two pillows and two small decorative roll pillows. (And the bed was not very comfortable.) The bathroom didn't have much counter space or even any open shelving above it. Nothing would have been less "cool" by fixing all these things.

Other less than impressive things: The pool is indoor and small. There is no hot tub. No rooms have balconies.

Things I DID like: the lobby was nice and open, and had a trendy look. The lobby bar served good drinks and had a good vibe. There was a pool table in the lobby, next to the bar, where I played a few games and enjoyed the time spent there. There is also a very convenient building next door where you can just walk to upscale restaurants.

So while my overall experience was fine, I wasn't bowled over by anything at Aloft. I would recommend the hotel only for those who want the trendy, kinda modern look but aren't expecting too much.