“Funky, cool, and wonderful!”
Review of Aloft Chapel Hill

Aloft Chapel Hill
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Durham, North Carolina
“Funky, cool, and wonderful!”
Reviewed July 17, 2010

We got a great deal for a night at Aloft Chapel Hill through livingsocial.com, and had a wonderful overnight getaway. The pool is saline (instead of chlorinated - how cool is that?!), the 24-hr workout center has big windows so you can see outside, and the room, oh man, the room! The decor was simple but very funky and cool. While small, the room's layout was European (a friend called it the "Ikea of hotels") and there was plenty of room for the two of us. Good-sized windows overlooked a beautiful plaza that we never would've guessed was there. We had a king-sized bed with an enormous flat screen TV on the opposite wall. The bed's headboard went nearly to the ceiling and formed one wall of the sink area of the bathroom (which included a safe, magazines, a lovely closet area, small fridge, and full-length mirror). The toilet/shower area of the bathroom was entirely closed off, but the shower stall had frosted glass on the wall shared with the bedroom. As a result, privacy was maintained, but it was the best-lit shower I've ever been in. The window opposite the frosted glass let in wonderful light. There was a little hideaway for an iron and ironing board near the frosted glass in the bedroom. There was even a funky blue-green vintage clock on the bedside table.

The desk contained a neat little box that you can plug your computer into (free Wi-Fi, if you want it) that hooks up to the TV, so you can show movies or anything that you have on your computer or DVD (or download from on-line) on the big screen TV. That rocked! Harry Potter looked great on the big TV.

My favorite part of the room was the bed. The bedspread was a pure white down slice of heaven. I *never* trust hotel bedspreads b/c they're always dirty and gross. Here, though, you can see that how clean it was - and it was soft and warm and wonderful. The entire facility was spotless. I walked around the room in my socks the whole time to see if it was all really as clean as it appeared (I have a pseudo-phobia of hotel room floors - I hate nasty, dirty floors), and my socks stayed white! That was a huge deal for me.

Lest you think I work for the company (I don't, I promise!), our stay was not perfect. There was no room service, although there was a bar and a snack area in the lobby. My husband went downstairs and bought me a fruit salad for breakfast, but some of the fruit was moldy. The staff replaced it with apologies when we took it back, and the second one was fine. Overall, the staff were all kind and gracious, and the service was excellent throughout.

We have little kids, and can't afford to go there regularly, especially at Aloft's normal prices, but we had a fabulous time there and will definitely be on the lookout for deals in the future.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
United States
Reviewed July 11, 2010

We tried this only because we got a special deal: $55 for one night plus two drinks.

It was well -worth the price!

Fun, active bar at night (some guy from Atlanta paid for all our other drinks). We walked across the street to a great restaurant (there are four or five nearby).

Some might find the bed a bit hard, but I had no problems with it (better than being soggy).

No phone book in room (no Bible, either). Safe and mini-fridge.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HomoQuiScitOmnia
Reviewed July 8, 2010

Our family stayed at the Aloft using a voucher we had purchased. It really is modern and different, which can be good or bad depending on your tastes. The dance music in the lobby seemed pretty loud, and the bar closed early on the night we were there. Small but serviceable indoor pool. Be forewarned that the hotel is right next to a fire station, and several times during the night we head loud sirens. Our room faced south (the entrance) and several times we heard loud cracking noises. Don't know if that was the building or awning settling or what but it was a jarring noise. Don't know that I would have paid full price but okay on a discount or voucher.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank TarHeel
apex, nc
Reviewed June 29, 2010

Check-in was very easy. I used a living social deal and couldn't find my coupon and the person at the desk looked through a very long list to find me. They brought an air mattress with colorful fish sheets for my kids. The pool was very nice. It was small but not very croweded. They have a pool table and a lounge. They have self-serve quick food area and free coffee in the morning. The towels were nice and soft and thick. The beds were very comfortable with soft sheets. We liked the layout of the rooms with a nice big bathroom in the back and a great view out the large windows. It was nice that the beds were not up against a shared wall so it was queiter. The walls were thick enough that we never heard our neighbors.

Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 27, 2010

Never stayed at a hotel with such cool ambiance! Elevator floor changes color when stepped on, great black tiling in bathroom, big TV with all hookups for a/v, audio, s video etc, pool table, comfy bed.
Would be nice to have a restaurant on-site but cocktails (bar opens at 5), breakfast sandwiches, and snack options were good. Several good restaurants in walking distance.

• Stayed June 2010
Germany
Reviewed June 4, 2010

My husband and I only needed to stay one night at Aloft Chapel Hill, a property that as of this writing has only been open for about a month. Located at 1001 South Hamilton Road in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, Aloft Chapel Hill is right next to a new looking upscale shopping area that also appeared to have a number of higher end apartments or condominiums available. The hotel shares an underground parking garage with with this shopping area. Parking is free for Aloft guests.

Check in at Aloft Chapel Hill is 3:00pm. We arrived at about 5:00, feeling tired and in need of a rest. We entered the lobby and immediately head the pulsating sounds of techno music, which I felt was turned up a hair too loudly. We approached the "Aloha Desk", which is just another name for the check in area. It's staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

The clerk was on the phone, so I alerted my husband to the self-serve check in, which was near the desk. The self-serve check in allows guests to check into or out of the hotel as well as check in and print boarding passes for airlines. I thought that was pretty handy. The clerk rang off before we had a chance to take a closer look at the self-serve check in.

Our room

We were assigned room 502. Eager to unload our bags and get freshened up, we hurried to the elevator, where the music was still pumping. I was beginning to feel like I was checking into a gymnasium instead of a hotel. Luckily, the music was not piped into the halls.

Our room at Aloft Chapel Hill was decorated in bold colors: blues, purples, greens, and yellows. The room featured a king sized bed with a fluffy white duvet stuffed with polyester fill. Mounted on the wall was a 42 inch high definition television loaded with lots of channels, including several by Showtime. There were two windows that offered a nice view of the shopping area below. Under the television, there was a futon bench. I can't imagine anyone actually sitting there, but the funky style seemed to go well with the decor. There was a light blue retro looking alarm clock on one nightstand, while the other supported a telephone. A desk in the corner also had a telephone and a place to plug in gadgets.

The bed was very comfortable. We slept very well and we appreciated the excellent television.

The bathroom

The bathroom has a toilet and a walk in shower. There's no bathtub, but the shower head at the Aloft Chapel Hill was great, giving a hot shower with plenty of water pressure and heat. There were two squeeze bottles mounted on the wall, offering shampoo and body wash from Bliss Spa. A sliding door offered privacy. The sink was located outside the water closet, a convenient style, since it allows people to do their bathing and toileting in private while not depriving another guest the opportunity to use the sink.

Storage and other stuff

There's a wall behind the sink with closet space and shelves with a coffee maker and a safe. A small refrigerator is under the sink area. There are also regular wastebaskets and recycling baskets.

The bar

We decided to go have a drink at the bar, so we headed back down to the lobby, where the bar was open for business. When my husband ordered a Manhattan, the bored looking bartender informed him that she didn't have any bitters, though they were on order. My husband said that was okay. I opted for a Chimay and the bartender told me she only had two left. Later, when I asked for a Delirium Tremens, I was told that they were out of them.

There's a pool table in the lobby, which some people were taking advantage of. I also noticed a small display near the Aloha Desk, which contained things like toiletries, over the counter drugs, and even some travel games for kids.

Dinner

Aloft Hotels don't have a full restaurant. Instead, they have what they call "Re:Fuel", which is a grab and go type food outlet where patrons can purchase light food and beverages. We decided to see if there was anything to eat in the shopping area. Unfortunately, the area is still being populated and a lot of businesses aren't quite up and running yet. We ended up eating dinner at Saffron, a brand new Indian restaurant that was on its second night of business when we stopped by. I can definitely recommend Saffron if you like Indian food.

Aside from Saffron, there was a deli that was slated to be open for business soon. A strip mall nearby offers a Thai restaurant. It's close enough to walk to if you're so inclined.

Staying in Shape

Aloft Chapel Hill has Re: Charge, a small gym open 24/7 and equipped with treadmills, ellipticals, stationary bikes, and stairclimbers. There are strength machines and free weights. Those who like to jog can use the jogging trail directly outside of the hotel. There's also a small indoor pool.

For kids...

Aloft Hotels definitely have a youthful appeal. For that reason, it should be no surprise that Aloft offers a program for kids called Camp Aloft. Kids who stay at Aloft get air mattresses, goodie bags, kid friendly food options, and access to the splash pool.

Checking out

Our checkout went smoothly until it was time to get out of the parking garage. For some reason, the gate wouldn't open for us and my husband had to get an Aloft staffer to help him escape the garage.

Overall

Our night at Aloft Chapel Hill cost about $142. We were left with a good enough impression of the brand to try a stay at another Aloft location in Charlotte, North Carolina on our way back to Georgia. I would recommend Aloft Chapel Hill to travelers seeking a mid scale hotel that caters to tech savvy clientele. I would not recommend Aloft to those who don't like a "hip vibe", loud music, or self-service.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank knotheadusc
Duluth, Minnesota
Reviewed May 24, 2010

Aloft in Chapel Hill is brand new, having opening around Mother's Day. It is very hip, modern and filled with eye candy. My husband and I loved the beds so much we couldn't move. Our teens were in the lobby until Midnight playing pool, snacking and swimming in the saline pool. Breakfast is like a fun easy mart, self section process. Very clean, reasonably priced and 5 minutes from my husband's appointment at UNC hospital.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business