“Nice vibe, lovely staff”
Review of Aloft Chapel Hill

Aloft Chapel Hill
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Pleasant, less chic (and less frenetically hipster) version of W. Common areas and rooms are well conceived, cleverly designed and and comfortable. Deli-style breakfast service offered ample choices at reasonable prices. Small pool and nice workout room. Nice to see a wide variety of guests...young families, young couples, older couples.

As is usually the case with Starwood properties, the staff are warm, welcoming and accommodating (one of the front desk staff was on the phone patiently guiding someone in a car to the hotel...quite nice). Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms away from highway are quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
efleishaker, Guest Relations Manager at Aloft Chapel Hill, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2013

Hi NYerinexile,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I’m glad you had a positive stay and were able to enjoy our features and amenities. Your loyalty with Starwood hotels is important to us, and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

I travel a lot for business and this is one of my favorite properties. Great customer service (specifically Cory at the front desk), clean rooms, nice workout facility. I always feel at home when I'm at the Aloft Chapel Hill.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
TLozano, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Aloft Chapel Hill, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Hi thetravelguy55,

Thank you for your loyalty and for your positive feedback. I am glad our accommodations and staff are always able to make you feel like home. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Visually this is a beautiful place. It has a very urban feel and is well done. I was there on Halloween and that was the biggest issue. The man checking me in was so understanding of just how tired I was and was kind enough to put me in a room. Wry far from the festivities in the hotel. Unfortunately that didn't save me from all the party's in the rooms around me. Small rooms but has all you need. No restaurant in the hotel and no breakfast, that's a minus for me when traveling for business. You pay for parking too and a tip for the valet.

Room Tip: Upper level if you want to be away from bar and game room area noise from lower level.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Hi Kristen,

Thank you for writing about your recent stay. I am glad you enjoyed your overall accommodations and hope you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

This hotel is what you would expect from an Aloft, except that I would say the common areas are much nicer. The rooms are exactly as you would expect, but the bar area seems to be better than that of other Alofts.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I love the Starwood brand in general, and I have stayed at several different Aloft hotels in the past, but this was my least favorite of all my Starwood hotel stays.

My husband and I got married at the Botanical Garden just a mile down the road and booked a stay here for the night of our wedding (Friday night). First of all, I had trouble booking just one night because apparently they require a minimum stay of two nights if there is a football game that weekend - thereby effectively rendering the hotel useless to anyone who just wants a single night. I can't help but think they miss out on business because of this. The price was also pretty ghastly compared to what I've paid at other Aloft hotels - almost double. Anyway, I found a loophole that let me book for one night.

We showed up and checked in, and paid $8 to use the parking garage. They gave us a tag, and we drove into the designated parking area (a garage shared with a residential (?) complex.) Turns out there were only about 20 spaces reserved for the Aloft hotel in addition to those outside (which was probably another 20). Huh? I refuse to believe that many of the guests take the BUS to the Aloft hotel. Why don't you have enough parking for all of the guests? OR, why don't you keep track of how many of those parking passes you sell so that guests don't have to waste 20 minutes driving around looking for a parking space only to feel ripped off because they paid and spaces weren't available?

We finally pulled back up to the front and asked the gentleman at the valet stand if there was additional parking since the garage was full. He told us that our options were to park at the bank across the street (I'm sure the bank loves that), or to use the valet. We replied that we had already paid the $8 for the garage, and his response was that it was ok to use the valet since you had to paid the $8 to use that anyway. (Which I now believe to be false based on other reviews. So basically we were scammed out of our $8.)

We gave the car to the valet, being exhausted and just wanting to be done with it.

The room is a typical Aloft room (nice amenities, comfy bed, not-so-private toilet area) - except ours had 3 bright red juice/drink stains on the carpet. Er, might wanna get those cleaned or replaced, you guys?

Checkout was easy enough, but then the next day I noticed a $50 charge on my card. When I called to ask what it was, they said it was a hold on my card for incidentals. It was eventually released, but I'm not sure why they feel the need to do this - I've stayed at tens of hotels this year, and they are the only ones to enact a policy like this. What happened to just charging my card *IF* I bought something?

Anyway - in short, my least favorite of all the Aloft/Starwood hotels in the country. I will not be returning to stay, nor will I recommend this particular hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Wanderlust919

Hi Wanderlust919,

I appreciate you taking the time to write about your recent stay. I am sorry you experienced such an inconvenience with regards to the parking and incidentals charge. I will share your feedback with our management teams so that they can look into these issues further.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

While this hotel may feel as though it has been picked up off of South Beach, Miami and placed in the academic green spaces surrounding Chapel Hill, it has all the amenities you would like for a short or extended stay. The entire hotel is decorated in a chic hip lounge design with lots of stylish lighting and geometrically patterned art. Nearly every sign, wall, piece of air, doorway, or something has been turned into a decorative lighting feature. They definitely picked a theme and ran with it, but you can appreciate the consistency although it may feel a little extra at times (i.e. - the floor in the elevator is filled with a moving gel that shifts under your weight).
The rooms are clean and quite stocked with anything you might need. The hotel staff are friendly and parking is available via valet or self parking. Each come at a cost. Self park is $8/hotel room - no limit on number of cars.
Wireless internet is available to paying guests. The gym is clean, small, and has all the equipment you would need for your run on the run. Breakfast and snack items are available for purchase in the lobby. I did not personally visit the lounge, but it seemed like an enjoyable and popular meeting spot for those on business.
I was there for a conference with friends, but the hotel seems to cater to many business folk.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the main highway. A room facing the restaurant and shopping area n...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank SegaSam
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at the Aloft in Chapel Hill, NC. It was very nice, very handy, and super fantastic staff. They were helpful and telling us what sites to see and how to get around the area.
A must see is the botanical garden that is located within a mile of the hotel.
Very nice stay and we would love to go back.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
TLozano, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Aloft Chapel Hill, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Hi Cadan,

Thank you for your positive comments about your recent stay. I am so glad you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. We look forward to welcoming you back again!