“Modern, youthful and tech friendly”
Review of Aloft Chapel Hill

Aloft Chapel Hill
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I am a 31 year-old "hipster" librarian. I visit Durham/Chapel Hill at least 3 times a year and usually stay in Durham. But the hotel I usually stay at was booked, and everything else in Durham is subpar in my opinion. Since I come to the area to visit doctors at Duke, I like my hotel to be nice... not super fancy or expensive, but I want it to be a retreat from the stress of doctors' visits. I decided to stay at Aloft in Chapel Hill this time around (my first Aloft stay ever). It was very easy to find and not too far from Duke (about 20 minutes).

Staff: Everyone was so nice! I checked in at 10 pm and Mario at the front desk got me checked in quickly and set me up with a "MacPack" to connect my computer to my in room flat screen tv. He seemed very cheerful for 10 at night and it was refreshing. Even the maids were very friendly!

Cleanliness: It's relatively new and everything was VERY clean and well put together.
Decor: Modern and hip with very cool lighting. Pop art, cement, wood accents, etc. The beds were very comfortable. The tile in the bathroom is beautiful and there is a glass panel that lets natural light in. Despite what I read in previous reviews, I had no issues with noise.

Amenities: The kitchen/snack area (24 hrs) downstairs is well stocked. Fancy (but well-priced) coffee maker, mini Ben and Jerry's ice cream to treat yourself, yogurts, cereals, chips, cookies, sandwiches and much more. In the morning, there was fruit, beautiful pastries and cooked to order breakfast sandwiches. The WXYZ Lounge was hopping at 10 pm -- full of young professionals and had a fire going in the fireplace. There is also a pool table. And Bliss products in your room! Complimentary water in your room! The indoor pool looked nice, but I didn't get to use it. I'd say the same about the gym. Refrigerator! Safe! Tobacco Road is right next door and has food until midnight or 2 am (depending on the day of the week.)

One of the best things about this hotel is that is seems very well thought out for today's modern world. There are outlets near the bed to plug in your phone or computer. The the light switches are also easily reachable while laying down. There is also a connectivity station on the desk which lets you plug various devices (HDMI, VGA, RCA, and more) in and connect to the flat screen tv.

I would definitely stay here again. I felt very welcomed and comfortable.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank kalani100

Reviewed February 21, 2013

We definitely recommend staying here. It's a fun place with great staff (particularly the front desk and the car valet guys), has spacious rooms with great bathrooms and was very reasonably priced. We particularly liked the large flat screen tv with easy external device access (so we could watch netflix from my computer) and extra cables are available from the front desk if you haven't brought your HDMI cable with you!!). Lots of nice touches like the Bliss spa soap/shampoo and the complimentary water bottles in the room. The free coffee in the lobby is also a huge step up from the tasteless brown liquid typically found in hotel lobbys!
Separating the toilet/shower from the sink area (which is huge!) is a great idea. The xyz bar was also well stocked and inexpensive for a hotel (a pint of Blue Moon and a glass of white wine came to $10 in total!). Parking is $6 per night. We will definitely stay here again when we visit the Chapel Hill area.

Room Tip: We had a room that faced the highway, which is busy and a little noisy. If you are sensitive to road...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ian S
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My husband and I have spent two wedding anniversaries here and really enjoyed it. Although we have traveled the world and at times go to other locales on our wedding anniversary, for these two particular times we had to stay somewhat local. Staff were friendly, hotel was very clean and modern, and it was fun to take a dip in the pool, relax at xyz with some snacks, play a board game in the lobby or play a game of pool.

I would like to see a comfortable couch or sitting area in the room itself, but that is something Aloft needs to look into - not this particular hotel's fault.

Breakfast staff went out of their way to make us a made-to-order breakfast. Yes, you can order breakfast from the kitchen - there are foods in the grab and go area, but also can order breakfast.

Just a fun little staycation for our wedding anniversary. Enjoyed working out in the exercise room as well. Aloft is a neat little brand of hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jen P
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I guess I'm just traditional, but I don't like the concrete/stark look. It was ok, but in a good location. There are a couple of restaurants, a nail salon, and a couple of good boutique shops. I shopped there when I needed to look nice for an event.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I would recommend staying here. It's only about 20 minutes from the Raleigh airport and it's about a 5 minute drive to the main street of Chapel Hill & Carrboro. There's parking, a bar that opens until 2 am that also serves food, and a 24-hour cafe area where you can get anything you want. The front desk is very helpful and friendly. The rooms are spacious, definitely have a starwood feel with a simple chic tone. Flat screen tvs, Bliss Spa shampoos, lotions, soaps. Huge sink area with iron and hairdryer and the bathrooms are new and modern. There's also a pool and pretty nice fitness center. There's a pool table in the lobby & free wifi in rooms & lobby. They give you complimentary water in the room. I think parking costs $6 per day. If you're visiting chapel hill, you should definitely rent a car because they're a lot cheaper than cabs. A one way cab ride to the hotel from the airport is $45.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 4, 2013

First time stay at Aloft, to visit our daughter at UNC. Great location, super convenient to the school, and a very affordable price were the two main reasons we decided to try it. The 'W' style shows through as the lobby and bar areas are modern and full of energy. When we stayed there were alot of 20 somethings also staying there and they were playing pool, working out, swimming in the pool or having a cocktail. The rooms are adequate. We had two queens (for me, my wife and our son). The only storage in the room is a small closet space opposite the sink, so travel light when you go. The bathroom area is nicely appointed. The sleeping area is ok, beds are decent, pillows were too soft for our tastes. A wall mounted flat screen TV made for good entertainment and I loved the retro alarm clock, which was easy to set. The hotel offers breakfast but no other meals, however, there are a couple of good restaurant choices steps away (We dined at Piola, a good choice). Overall, a good choice and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: They have complimentary newspapers such as WSJ and USA Today available in the lobby.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 23, 2013

quiet, comfortable, clean, close to UNC Aloft is a gem. Guests do not have to leave the hotel to find almost any need for a pleasant stay. Just outside and in the neighborhood are stores, restaurants and night life for the more adventurous. A complete hotel and a delightful stay.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family