“Ok stay”

Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Ok stay”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Very clean and neat. New and very trendy . Staff helpful and pleasant. Rooms small, a little claustrophobic for me. Huge tv right at the foot of bed. No blinds to let in light . There was a trendy piece of light blocking vinyl you pulled up and down over window,so either opened or closed. Our room needed privacy, so with these closed, felt a little like sleeping in a cave. I thought it was a little pricey for what you got, but good location.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are the same, but if there was a larger one , ithan we had
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Not a hotel for those looking for luxury or even regular 4 star amenities, but it is new, clean and is a fine place to rest your head. The lobby looks like a juice bar not a traditional check-in and the staff is young friendly if not terribly knowledgeable. There is no restaurant but there is some kind of food counter where I ordered breakfast (egg sandwich). No room service. No special seating - you eat in the lobby. It is designed for those who are interested in a communal travel experience (ie reminded me of when i was younger and staying in hostels in europe and met other folks backpacking - but don't get me wrong - no shared rooms and higher standards than that!). The room is small and the shampoo and soap is in the shower in dispensers like those in the gym. There is no iron in the room. I was there for a business meeting next door and hadn't yet fully wrinkled all my suits so this was a good choice for me. Had I been further along in my multi-city roadshow perhaps the lack of room service etc may have become more of an issue. The hotel is connected to an office/retail complex which does have some restaurants although I did not partake so can not comment. We paid about $130/night I believe which seemed about right.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Some friends and family and I were in town for a wedding, and this hotel was selected for the guests. The staff were wonderful. Always pleasant and helpful. The facility itself was great. I especially enjoyed the fitness center. It's small but has high quality equipment. The bar was also fun to hang out in. There was live music on Thursday night. The rooms are great too. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed July 26, 2012

The Aloft usually costs more than we like to spend, but we took advantage of a special and were very pleased. The room was very clean and comfortable. No unsightly mildew in the shower and everything well-designed. I really liked the fact the TVs are on the outer walls, making for a quiet room at night. Be aware that there is a $5 per night charge for parking. We found the staff friendly and efficient. We would certainly stay there again for the price we paid on the special.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Davis, CA
Reviewed June 26, 2012

The staff was terrific; friendly, efficient and on the ball. The decor is nice and modern and the music is fun - dance in the evenings and more chill in the mornings. Tiny salt-water pool seemed not to get much use. Pretty good little fitness center. Nice showers, but no bath.

It is a 40-minute walk to the UNC campus, all uphill, but the Chapel Hill buses are free and there is a stop right across the street from the hotel for the S-line, which goes through the Med Center and then to the main campus. Ask at the desk when the van is scheduled; not as often as I would have imagined. Fortunately the walk back to the aLoft is all downhill!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, IL
Reviewed June 21, 2012

My wife and I were in town for a wedding in Oct 2011 for our first trip to Chapel Hill/Durham. Chose the Aloft to stay on SPG points because it was newer, and we really enjoyed the hotel for our 2-night stay.

Well-designed large rooms with a comfortable bed, good HDTV with HD channels; large bathroom; only having a shower was a slight disappointment, but it had good water pressure.

Cool lobby area with a bar, pool tables and a nice breakfast area with some good, inexpensive options (although one morning we took a short drive to Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen for the best breakfast biscuit sandwiches ever!)

The workout area was large and well-appointed, and the saltwater pool looked cool but we did not get to use it.

The valet parking worked well for us, and all of the staff at the front desk and valet could not have been nicer and more friendly. A short drive to UNC and also pretty close to Durham/Duke. Would definitely stay here again next time we are in the area.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 7, 2012

My stay was short - I arrived at 1am and checked out at 8am - but Aloft made it easy for me. While the drive from the airport into Chapel Hill is very dark, the hotel is a direct route and easy to spot for an out-of-towner. Valet parking is included. The rooms were clean with plenty of space. Grabbing a coffee and breakfast sandwich had me on my way to work in the morning.

I would stay again the next time I am in Chapel Hill - and found it an easy commute to the UNC campus, too.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business