“A note about parking”

Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed August 21, 2014

Other reviewers have done justice to the great food here. I want to help with the parking, which is very tough in downtown Chapel Hill, especially if you are not familiar with the area. If you go to the Internet site parkonthehill.com, you'll get an up-to-date map showing the parking options near Franklin Street (the main street in downtown), including parking locations several blocks to either side of Franklin, with cost, hours when they become free of charge, etc. Great resource!! It helped us when we were trying to make it to the deli in a pouring rainstorm recently.

There are newer reviews for Mediterranean Deli & Catering

Reviewed August 1, 2014

My main complaint is this...there are too many choices to choose from. I've been to Israel, Greece and Turkey and these guys hit it out of the park. Great value and the food is terrific. There's no ambiance here but that's ok. I'll definitely return!

1  Thank Zimbim
Reviewed July 29, 2014

My wife, 2 kids, and I were driving past Chapel Hill on the interstate and it was near dinner time. We found this place on Trip Advisor and the reviews made it sound great so we decided to stop. It was about 5 miles to downtown Chapel Hill, we had trouble finding parking (we ended up in one of the public parking lots across the street and about a block from the restaurant), it was raining heavily, and we couldn't get a walk signal to cross the road despite several attempts pushing the button. We nearly gave up and settled for McDonalds, but we had come so far we decided to jaywalk when someone pushed the button to cross the other direction and we finally got our walk signal.

I'll admit my first thought upon entering the restaurant was that it was overrated. The decor is a bit dated and the food did not appear to be anything special. It took us a while to order, but in the end we decided to try a sampler platter, a spinach roll, and a few sandwiches. In our families classic style, we all shared a bit of everything. All the food was amazing, even the Morrocan couscous with raisins. (and we hate raisins!) The dishes had unique combinations of ingredients with favors that worked. We don't normally eat this type of food, so we don't have much to gauge the restaurant against, but we will definitely stop by again when we are in town.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

Eat here if you are ever in Chapel Hill. Just walking by he restaurant will entice you into the dining room. Our experience was fantastic! Highly recommend to everyone we know going to Chapel Hill.

Reviewed July 26, 2014

I am almost embarrassed to discover this currently rated as the #1 Dining Experience in Chapel Hill, having written well over 100 reviews here and "discovering" this place by accident. We were actually headed somewhere else for dinner, and a parking situation (no surprise in Chapel Hill, am I right?) found us literally just driving by and me going "that looks good" and someone pulling away from the curb at that same moment...

Anyway, this place was FANTASTIC. No, it is not "fine" dining in the usual sense, but the food is amazing, and the selection rich, and if you cannot find something that makes your eyes bigger than your stomach to choose from, you deserve to starve, or survive on dry bread and water. It has EVERYTHING I could possibly think of Greek plus a lot more.

It is reminiscent of a NY Deli set-up, where you order and pay at the counter -- in this case there has to be at least 30-40 feet of counter space behind which is tiers of foodstuff -- desserts, salads, fruits, sides, sandwiches, platters... all authentic Mediterranean dishes.

If I lived here, I could easily see this being a "go to" dining spot. As it was, it was a great capstone to a two day visit.