“Nice boutique hotel. Big rooms.”

The Siena Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Reviewed July 9, 2010

Had a nice one day stay at the Siena Hotel and was pleased with the large room I had. I believe it was a regular room and it had a seating area with a couch and chair. Nice window/doors and a huge bathroom. Very reminiscent of an older european hotel and the lack of totally modern furniture and things like other hotels was actually what made it neat. Very friendly and helpful staff too.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for The Siena Hotel, Autograph Collection

Reviewed June 29, 2010

We booked two rooms thru Priceline, got great deals. My husband and I had one room , our 16 yr old daughter and best friend had the other. Very smooth and comfortable check in (early at that). The rooms were very average as far as decor goes, but huge in size. I think the bathroom was the largest I have ever used. The theme seemed to be European, but just missed a bit. We only stayed one night, being we picked up our daughter and friend from a golf camp locally before heading back home. I was ready for dinner before the rest of the group, went down to the lobby bar for a cocktail while wating for the rest. I sat there for about 10 minutes before I asked the bartender for a drink to be brought to a table for me. Not what you expect for an upscale bar. Very pleasant service after I asked for some. The bartender seemed more interested in talking to the hostess on the other side of the room?? Kind of odd. Overall, I'd say it was a pretty good stay, just not exceptional for a 4 star property. Oh, and if you like to workout, they give you a pass to go up the street to a gym. Not really convenient, although it was a decent gym.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank PittMonkeygirly
Reviewed June 28, 2010

I have to agree with the other reviews.
The Siena is a decent hotel, but not at all a four star.
We had two rooms, adjoining. The doors stick, there is a mini fridge on the floor in the bathroom, the marble is cracked on the vanity, the curtains were really dirty and moldy, the TV old ( my kids had a room with a flat screen), the view was of a dumpster.
The hotel is next to a gas station and on a very busy road.
That being said, the staff was great. I booked online with Priceline and paid about $90.00 per room. The staff allowed us to get adjoining rooms and reccomended great places to eat. Do not pay more than what we did. You'd be upset.
The lobby furniture is over the top Italian: a little shabby and torn. Our room felt like the furniture was from a clearance sale. Nothing really matches and it is over the top Italian. Why in the South did they go with Italian, I'll never understand.
The business center is small, but decent. Free internet is great. I never ate the free breakfast. Too many good places in town to try.
It's a three star hotel at best.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank matissegirl
Reviewed June 23, 2010

We saw this advertised as a four star hotel. It is not. However, the hotel is fine as long as you know it is on par with a standard Marriott or Hitlon. I would have been really disappointed if I had paid close to the full rate! The hotel is on Franklin, a busy road that leads to UNC.. You will need a car to get around.
The decor is dated- lots of gold and very ornate. Our room was large and the bedding was fine- nothing special or noteworthy. The hotel is quiet and in a safe area. Parking was easy to find out front each evening.
There are no extras like fitness or pool. Newspaper was at our door each morning, a basic turn down service nightly (curtain drawn and a chocolate on pillow) and two robes in the room were the only special features that might set this place apart.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank dlj5
Reviewed May 7, 2010

Our room was lovely and exceptionally spacious, with an extremely comfortable bed. All of the fittings of the room were in good repair, and the wifi worked fine. The complimentary hotel breakfast offered plenty of variety, exceptionally good coffee, and an attentive waitstaff. Our sole dinner at the hotel restaurant was an anniversary celebration, and the experience was excellent in every respect. There's a little terrace in the front garden where one can enjoy a leisurely drink.

This hotel has no pool or similar amenities on its grounds, but the hotel's service, the ambiance of the lounge and bar, and the rooms themselves are excellent. All in all, the hotel reminds me of a first-class, old-fashioned British hotel more than anything else. The Siena is quite convenient to downtown Chapel Hill by car but it's not the average person's idea of walking distance (it's Chapel HILL!).

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 9, 2010

First, the interior of the rooms in terms of bedding etc. WERE TOP NOTCH. Good quality sheets, etc. The room itself however needed some repair. The entertainment center was missing hardware, the coat rack was missing coat hooks. Parts of something were laying on the vistors guide to the hotel. Bathroom leaked, some cracks in the sheetrock. Maybe I just got a bad room. The common areas of the hotel were still very nice but overall the place looked like it needed a good cleaning and updating. Lots of big overstuffed gold leaf furniture everywhere...the reviewer who said that this hotel had a "Vegasy" feel hit the nail on the head. It was not a bad hotel but if I paid the full published rates I would not have been very pleased. The hotel food services (bar, etc.) are very expensive, but you are within easy driving distance to a number of great restaurants and the Chapel Hill bus (which is free, safe, and very clean) stops outside and the hotel has a free shuttle to downtown.. I would not spend time hear to eat. There is no pool, no gym. Basically this is a very nice place to sleep. The business center was in an old hotel room. The bathroom to the business center was an old hotel bathroom with piece of PLYWOOD laying on top of the tub so you would not try to get in the tub while you were in the business center. Bizarre.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank Chplhill
Reviewed January 22, 2010

As stated, not many frills at all. No pool, no exercise. But we both loved it. We got this hotel on Hotwire, and while that made the price nice, there were some consequences of that which bugged us both. I had seen lots of reviews here and elsewhere on the great free breakfast spread. But when we checked it out, we were told that our rate didn't offer the breakfast. Kind of mean... We also noticed all 3 days that in the morning everyone had a newspaper in front of their doors except us. Hmmm. Not a huge deal, but it definitely left us feeling less important than the other guests.

Aside from that, the rooms are gigantic, and extremely comfortable. The bathroom had a nice tub surrounded by some kind of neat soapstone or something. Definitely Italian-like. And cotton balls and q-tips! I've never seen that in any class hotel. There was a small fridge under the sink in the bathroom.

The wireless Internet was free and very powerful. Maybe we were lucky that there was an access point right outside our front door.

Aside from the "class" treatment, it was a real nice stay and I'd definitely stay again. BTW, Hotwire rated this as a 4 star. I would definitely call it a 3 or maybe a 3.5 star at best.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple