“Amazing seafood”

Cuisines: Seafood
Mansfield, Ohio
“Amazing seafood”
Reviewed August 12, 2011

I am glad I did not read the reviews before we went. We took the ferry from Ocracoke to see Cape Lookout lighthouse and had time before our return. 2 local people told us to eat there - they said the seafood was good and local. We followed their advice and were happy. What everyone says about the decor is true - it is run down. But the staff is very friendly and the food is really good. I had 1/2 lb of boiled shrimp (only about 10, they were huge!)that were wonderfully seasoned. Baked potato and fried ocra were good. Husband had fish, crabccake and shrimp (all fried) and it was good. The crabccake had big lumps of crab in it and was very good (I tasted!) Son had chicken planks and fries (crispy and plenty) and he was very pleased with his meal as well. One of the best things about the meal were fried bread/hushpuppies brought to the table after we ordered. They were hot, served with soft/melted butter and were amazing. We asked for another basket before the meal was done. I had a glass of wine and hubby had iced tea but the whole bill was still around $50 for the three of us- far less than anything we have experienced so far in outer banks dining. Get past the 70's beachside theme and enjoy the people and the food.

• Visited August 2011
4 Thank slrv61

Abington, Pennsylvania
“really run down”
Reviewed July 16, 2011

stayed on cedar island with friends and decided to go to the pirates chest for dinner one night.
The staff couldn't be nicer but like the other poster said all of the seafood was frozen not fresh,I cant understand why use frozen when the whole area is a fishing town and fresh seafood is available almost anywere on cedar island I saw a roadside stand selling lg shrimp 3.00 a pound right off the boat. I also agree I had the scallops and they were tiny bay scallops from god knows were. If i had to choose to eat i would drive a little farther and get some good quaility seafood beaufort has great places to eat go there!

• Visited July 2011
2 Thank bcruz
“Best seafood in NC”
Reviewed January 15, 2011

First of all, I'm assuming that person complaining about the shrimp burger has never had one. Why would you want lettuce or tomato on your shrimp burger?? Also, why is everyone complaining about the way it looks? I mean, while you were driving through downeast did you expect this place to look like a palace with valet parking? The seafood everytime I've ate there was amazing. By far the best in eastern NC. The prices are great for the amount of food you get. Most restaurants charge $20 for about 6 shrimp of questionable origin and quality.

3 Thank Eastcc
Beaufort, North Carolina
“Mediocre food in a dated setting”
Reviewed June 30, 2010

The restaurant and motel seem to have fallen on hard times as they have not been upgraded in perhaps 30 years (at least to me). The seating is a bit shopworn - vinyl booths located by room air conditioning units in the wall. I am unsure of how old the carpet is, but it's highly worn and discolored. However, these are tough times, so let's get to the food, which is the reason we went there. Service is OK. The waitress was attentive but a bit scatter-brained, so things arrived in batches. Plus she overcharged on one entree. My salad was served after the dinner arrived. The food quality was medoicre at best. We had to request hush puppies after the meal was served (was supposed to come with it). The fried oysters were overcooked, but passable. The coleslaw was mostly a tasteless salad dressing concoction, so we did not eat that. The odd thing is, we have eaten at this establishment at least a couple times a year for the last 20+ years and this was by far the worst meal they have ever served us. One had oysters and the other scallops - bill was $40 for a very mediocre meal. On the plus side, it is located right next to the Cedar Island to Ocracoke Ferry and it is the only restaurant within about 25 miles. So one has very limited choices in Down East NC. Perhaps they need a better fry cook...and some interior updating. You can do much better for less (or comparable) money elsewhere (Harkers Island, Beaufort or Morehead City) within about an hour's driving.

2 Thank chemjim1
Southport, North Carolina
“Bring your own food to the ferry!!”
Reviewed June 16, 2010

We did not stay at the motel but did have "lunch" at its Pirate Cove Restaurant since we had a reservation for the 12:30 ferry to Ocracoke. The motel's info on the web is deceptive because it shows a full two-page menu of salads, sandwiches, soup, desserts and entrees. But when you arrive at the poorly-maintained restaurant, all you get is a dog-eared, one-page sheet of photocopied paper listing a handful of salads and sandwiches, plus the soup and salad bar. The diner-like dining room sports vinyl booths with rips closed with Duct tape. My husband and I ordered the shrimp burger and the fish filet sandwich, which arived with soggy, undercooked french fries and completely unadorned buns - no lettuce, no tomato, no nuthin'. If we take the same ferry some other time, we'll bring our lunch in a cooler and eat at the picnic table next to the visitor center (which was closed for repairs when we were there). There is a nice beach nearby for passing the time until the ferry leaves.

1 Thank southportravelers