“Sooo Dry”

Carolina Smokehouse
Ranked #12 of 34 Restaurants in Cashiers
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: It's a BBQ restaurant on the highway between Cashiers and Highlands, NC. (I think they refer to it as "The Cashiers Highway." There aren't many places to eat -- kinda rural and mountainous, but this restaurant has big signage and located right on the highway. The card I picked up said "Rob & Tammy Williams, with ph no. 828-743-3200, fax 828-743-9770
Vero Beach, Florida
“Sooo Dry”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

I'd heard mixed reviews of this place so I wanted to try it myself. I got two sandwiches to go, one beef with cole slaw and one pork with applesauce. They were both way too dry and I didn't get the cole slaw, just 2x applesauce which was absolutely terrible. I liked the atmosphere of the inside, but I won't be back.

Visited January 2014

Florida
“Never Again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I where staying in highlands and decided to take a ride over to cashiers. We stopped at Carolina smokehouse for some dinner. We both order a simple hamburger and french fries. The waitress took our order and less then five minutes the food was served. I said to my wife wow what service. The French fries were cold and the burger tasted like it was microwaved. It had a funky taste to it. I would skip this place and go eat at Wendy's next door.

1 Thank ladybug59
Lancaster, South Carolina
“BBQ is always smokin”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

Great BBQ, sweet tea, onion rings, Texas toast. Don't go to this place for atmosphere.....or better yet....go there for some atmosphere.....but not upscale dining. Very basic, great people, great service. You will leave full for less than $10.

Visited December 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great BBQ Meats & Onion Rings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

I got the chopped beef, which had a really nice and deep smoky flavor. I don't eat pork, but my wife does and says it was even better than my beef. The waitress warned us that the spicy sauce was really hot so we got it on the side with some sweet as well. There was nothing to worry about, though, as the spicy was nowhere near being too much. The accompanying french fries and cole slaw were nothing special - frozen and commercial, but they're not why you go to a BBQ joint. The onion rings were another matter altogether and were up to the standards of the meat. Big thick slices of onion with a lot of flavorful batter. Order the onion rings to go with your meat and skip the fries.

We were there for an early dinner and they hadn't switched from the lunch menu to the dinner menu, yet. I felt like the lunch portion was a little on the small side, at least as far as the beef was concerned. (My wife says the portions were perfect for her and the kids, though.) The waitress seemed like she was in a big hurry and made some mistakes in our order even though we tried to clarify it when we placed it having sensed her lack of focus.

We come to the area every year and will definitely visit this place again. It's a great unpretentious barbecue joint that we can take the kids too without sacrificing food quality. The same can't be said for a lot of the restaurants we've tried in the vicinity.

• Visited December 2013
Lake Worth, FL
“Local BBQ OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

This is definitely the local bbq hangout. Very rustic, slanted floors, license plates on the walls. Ribs were tasty but chewy. Okay overall. would not go out of my way to go back if I were in the area.

Visited November 2013