“yummy bread pudding”

The Gamekeeper's Tavern
Ranked #16 of 34 Restaurants in Cashiers
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 8, 2014

enjoyed the ambience, but the food is way too pricey for what you get. Filet reduction sauce tasted like it came from a McCormicks dry packet, but filet was good. The bread pudding ended things nicely, but for the price, I'd recommend the Brown Trout Mountain Grille for quality, consistency and variety at a more reasonable price.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

We weren't expecting to find a restaurant with so many gluten free options on the menu - and Gamekeeper's exceeded my husband's and my dietary and flavor expectations. From past reviews, I think there has been confusion about the back entrance, but upon parking we were easily directed by a well-located sign with an arrow. We requested patio seating so we could hear the Bluegrass trio during our meal. The main dining room was rented for an event (rehearsal dinner?), but there is plenty of outdoor and lounge seating available. We made reservations but it seemed like they had some walk-in seating open as well. We had no problems whatsoever with the "team serving" here; our waitress, hostess, food-server, and the manager all checked on us unobtrusively. We heard them conversing with several other tables and they seem to be able to play off the guests to customize the experience, whether you want to be left alone or chat it up. We've eaten at many great locations across the globe, from AAA five diamond and Michelin starred to hole-in-the-walls, diners, and food trucks, and this measured up as another fine experience. We started off with candied bacon, because why not? It was delicious, probably not nitrate-free, but we could've honestly had it for dessert, it was that "melt in your mouth" rich. We continued with a spinach salad and beet/goat cheese salad. The cheeses elevated the dishes - the Parmigiano-Reggiano was pert and peppery and the goat cheese was not your standard round/crumbly but spongy and mild. We went all meat for the mains. I am in awe of the elk chop. My last Elk experience was at Victoria and Alberts (Elk medallions), and this was such a delightful contrast. It was perfectly seared on the outside and pink and tender on the inside. The wild-berry glaze had just the right touch of boozy sweetness. My husband's six-hour pork ribs were mouthwatering. When your mouth keeps watering as you eat each bite, you know it's good. The barbecue sauce had some spice and went really well with the sweet potato fries. Regarding the management - we had no cause for complaint, but a couple next to us had to send back a chicken dish - I'm unsure why. The management went above and beyond, getting details of what was wrong and offering to correct any mistakes, bringing out menus and more suggestions, specially preparing another dish with some chef's extras in a timely manner (all this happened and the couple still left before us), making sure the replacement dish was great, as well as reducing the bill. That's top notch service in my opinion. My only suggestion is this: please put some gluten free dessert(s) on the menu! A Crème brûlée or flourless chocolate cake, or even a berries and cream dish in season. We liked it so much that we are going back tomorrow, and I may just ask the chef if they can whip something up!

Reviewed June 1, 2014

I have eaten many times at the Gamekeeper's Tavern with my daughter who loves it because of the Beet Salad their policy to allow dogs on the porch. The food (for the price) isn't exceptional, but the atmosphere and general "vibe" contribute to a pleasant eating experience. For this reason we brought our very good friends to the restaurant. My steak was literally as tough as old shoe leather. I didn't want to make a fuss in front of the friends and spoil their evening, but when the waitress removed our dishes, my steak was gnawed and uneaten. I tactfully explained to her that this meat was unacceptable to serve this to any more diners. You might have thought (in lieu of taking the dinner off the bill) that the one dessert would be comp'd. Neither happened. I won't go back.

1  Thank G8T0RGAL
Reviewed May 24, 2014

Lunch is something new this year at The Gamekeeper's Tavern. My husband and I tried it yesterday and we thought it was one of the best lunch places in the area. The menu has a large variety of items and it's reasonably priced. I had the lentil coconut soup, thick with lentils, black beans and tomatoes. Delicious! I also had the half a sandwich and chose a turkey wrap. My husband had the sashimi tuna salad and he loved it. The salad was great and the tuna was prepared perfectly. You can eat lunch inside or out on the porch. Nice atmosphere in both places.

GKTavern, Owner at The Gamekeeper's Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2014

Thanks for joining us on our newly renovated porch for lunch. We are glad you enjoyed your lunch. We look forward to seeing you again soon and if there is anything we can do to make your lunch more enjoyable just let us know.

Reviewed May 22, 2014

Trouble started when we parked in the front of the restaurant. Could not find our way in. The front door directed us to the lounge. Went to the lounge area and there was no exit or entrance to the dining area. A waitress saw us in distress and came to show us an alternate route. She said they are trying to get folks to come in the back way. No instructions seen about this. Food - asparagus was almost raw for each of 5 diners. Taken back with promise to cook more and return. Never returned. Scallops were extremely salty. I ate them, but gave feedback to the manager who took the information. Service was exceptional. Would not recommend this to friends. Too expensive for food not to be exceptionally good.

1  Thank Marleengm

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are sorry the food did not meet your expectations. We would invite you back to enjoy the entire experience we provide here at the Gamekeeper's Tavern. As we confidently serve the finest farm to table food in the area. We are sorry you did not see one of the many signs directing our guests to the main entrance in the rear of the building, our intentions are not to make it difficult. We will certainly consider even more signage for our future guests.

Thanks,