“Lunch is now being served”

The Gamekeeper's Tavern
Ranked #15 of 33 Restaurants in Cashiers
Cuisines: American, Bar, Contemporary, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Sapphire, North Carolina
“Lunch is now being served”
Reviewed May 24, 2014

Lunch is something new this year at The Gamekeeper's Tavern. My husband and I tried it yesterday and we thought it was one of the best lunch places in the area. The menu has a large variety of items and it's reasonably priced. I had the lentil coconut soup, thick with lentils, black beans and tomatoes. Delicious! I also had the half a sandwich and chose a turkey wrap. My husband had the sashimi tuna salad and he loved it. The salad was great and the tuna was prepared perfectly. You can eat lunch inside or out on the porch. Nice atmosphere in both places.

• Visited May 2014
GKTavern, Owner at The Gamekeeper's Tavern, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Thanks for joining us on our newly renovated porch for lunch. We are glad you enjoyed your lunch. We look forward to seeing you again soon and if there is anything we can do to make your lunch more enjoyable just let us know.

Highlands, North Carolina
“Great service, food not so great”
Reviewed May 22, 2014

Trouble started when we parked in the front of the restaurant. Could not find our way in. The front door directed us to the lounge. Went to the lounge area and there was no exit or entrance to the dining area. A waitress saw us in distress and came to show us an alternate route. She said they are trying to get folks to come in the back way. No instructions seen about this. Food - asparagus was almost raw for each of 5 diners. Taken back with promise to cook more and return. Never returned. Scallops were extremely salty. I ate them, but gave feedback to the manager who took the information. Service was exceptional. Would not recommend this to friends. Too expensive for food not to be exceptionally good.

1 Thank Marleengm
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are sorry the food did not meet your expectations. We would invite you back to enjoy the entire experience we provide here at the Gamekeeper's Tavern. As we confidently serve the finest farm to table food in the area. We are sorry you did not see one of the many signs directing our guests to the main entrance in the rear of the building, our intentions are not to make it difficult. We will certainly consider even more signage for our future guests.

Thanks,

GK
YOUNG HARRIS
“Magnificent Crab Cakes, etc.”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

My husband and I ate dinner at the Gamekeeper's Tavern on Hwy. 64 in Cashiers/ Sapphire last week. I frequently try crab cakes when I visit a new restaurant that features them on the menu. These were the very best I've ever tasted!! I also enjoyed the spinach salad, and amazing soup with Thai spices. My husband was in the mood for "normal fare" and ate a burger which he thought was wonderful. We shared a most unusual bread pudding for dessert--also, magnificent. We'll return whenever we're in the area. Service was exceptional. We chose to eat inside since we had been hiking all day outdoors, but the restaurant has a lovely screened-in dining room dominated by a huge fireplace. There are many good restaurants in this area, but this one needs to move into the top 3.

• Visited May 2014
GKTavern, General Manager at The Gamekeeper's Tavern, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Thanks so much for taking the time to review us. We are big fans of the crab cake too and are glad you enjoyed it. Look forward to seeing you again soon.
Highlands, North Carolina
“Beautiful, clean, exceptional food and service”
Reviewed May 12, 2014 via mobile

Recently moved into the area and have been trying restaurants throughout the area.

I must applaud this is the cleanest and best kept restaurant I've seen in many years! You'd think its brand new. We viewed the dining room but took a table in the lounge area. The dining room is stunning. The lounge is on the rustic side and adjacent is an outdoor porch area which I would have loved to enjoy had it not been for the height of allergy season.

My party of three enjoyed a several course meal which was tasty, exactly as ordered and served in a reasonable amount of time. The portions were comfortable - not too little and not too much. The choice of wines was exceptional.

The staff was courteous without being overly or uncomfortably friendly (read: professional). The hostess and manager pleasant and accommodating.

I've found it hard to find restaurants I would like to frequent here. This is indeed one I will return to.

I don't often right nice reviews. Reasonable price, cleanliness, atmosphere, good food and competent staff make this a joy to dine at.

Visited May 2014
We want to first welcome you to the community and hope we see much more of you. If there is ever anything we can do to make your time with us more enjoyable just let us know.

Thanks,

GK
Spartanburg, South Carolina
“Great evening!”
Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

Awesome place. Manager was perfect. Try a custom wine tasting and the crab cakes. Best ever. Thanks for a great night. I don't have anything more to say, but this thing requires 100 characters. Cheers.

We appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. We enjoyed hosting your wine tasting and hope you enjoy your Umani Ronchi when it arrives. We thank you and hope to see you all again soon!

Cheers!