“Excellent way to get away after Christmas”
Review of Laurelwood Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cashiers
Laurelwood Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cashiers
Reviewed January 7, 2014

What a great getaway! Rates were exceptional and the room was superb. I was within 10 - 15 miles of many beautiful waterfall trails that I hiked throughout the weekend. Very quiet property and services were excellent. I could also walk to the local coffee shop each morning. I plan on coming back again this spring!!!!

Room Tip: Off season rates are great! Choose an upgraded room for more space.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank SCGrants

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Drove from Clearwater, Fl with our 2 teenagers to find a wonderfully decorated and warm cabin. Main living room, master bedroom and two twin beds in loft. The staff was very friendly and the location in Cashiers near Highlands, Sapphire Valley and Gorges Park was very convenient. After the kids went skiing/tubing we enjoyed being by the fireplace(gas) during the evenings. Laurelwood provided a discount on lift tickets at Sapphire. Self imposed curfew at 6:00pm as driving on dark mountain roads made the cabin even more inviting. Equipped with fridge, toaster and microwave we were able to provide a number of meals in the room which was important as many of the usual restaurants were closed this time of year. Ingles (grocery) is nearby. Numerous waterfalls and parks nearby and at least for us this was a great central location as well as being comfortable. Liked Game Keepers Tavern and Mica's nearby.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Andy M
Reviewed December 27, 2013

What a wonderful place! I wanted to have a quiet, peaceful Christmas away from home. I reserved the cabin and it was better than I anticipated. The owners are friendly and helpful if you need anything; other than that, no one bothers you. But everyone is very friendly. The cabin is a great size for singles, a couple with 2 children, or possibly 2 couples(twin beds upstairs). Great front porch!!! Even in really cold weather, the front porch seemed cozy. Cabin is within walking distance to Buck's Coffee, life's major requirement, and many of the Cashiers shops. I would go back right now(just got home last night!) And I WILL go back, God willing! I would recommend(actually I already have) this place to anyone looking for a great Cashiers experience.

Room Tip: The cabin, 124, is where I stayed and is excellent!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank MtPleasantraveler
Reviewed November 25, 2013

This collection of rooms at the crossroads in Cashiers, NC is more a cluster of Cabins than a bed and breakfast style Inn. Know that up front.

We arrived on a Friday afternoon in late November for a Saturday afternoon wedding nearby. The gentleman at the front desk was welcoming and efficient, telling us where best to park and handing us a map of the several separate buildings holding the 20 or so rooms. One may relax in the comfortable parlor off the reception area, but truly, once ensconced in one’s own room in another building, there is little desire to do so. The Laurelwood is not conducive to socializing with the other guests at a tea time or a breakfast. It is not that kind of Inn.

Our room was one of several in another building. The rooms have the feel of a cabin: wood floors, dim lighting, in wall heating units, views of the wooded yard in which the Laurelwood sits. The room was cold on our entrance but warmed within 30 minutes when we turned on the rather noisy heating unit. That constant blowing would later prove intolerable at 2 a.m. My wife and I soon preferred to sleep under the blankets in a cold room rather than run the unit. That was probably the chief downside of the stay for us.

The rooms are private enough with the exception that folks in the immediately adjacent rooms are heard as muffled voices and creaks through the shared walls. I suppose there is some risk that one might suffer a rowdy neighbor, but we did not. The bed was reasonably comfortable, a bit sunken on my side nearest the bathroom. but fine for a couple nights. The sheets were clean, the blankets warm.

The bathroom had its own heating unit which was appreciated since the nights and mornings were cold, dipping to 23 by Sunday morning when we left. The water pressure was good and there was plenty of hot water in the bath/shower. The towels were thick. A small bar of soap and a bottle of combination shampoo/conditioner were provided. If you are picky these products, be advised to bring your own.

There was a walk-in closet in which I found a spare pillow, a microwave and a small refrigerator. We stored some local apples in the fridge for one night. There was a somewhat balky TV in the bedroom (low battery in the remote?), but you’re probably not coming up here for TV.

Each morning we walked across the road to Buck’s for great coffee and ham biscuits. There’s a fireplace roaring in Buck’s and big, leather chairs. It seems to be local hangout and I would advise you enjoy it. Across the highway and a short walk away is an open market where we bought the local apples and some freshly baked coffee cake on day. We were not in Cashiers for hiking, but there must be several trail heads within a 30 minute drive.

All in all the Laurelwood Inn was a value at the off season rate of $89 per night. Some of the wedding guests stayed at a nearby Hampton Inn which was felt to be okay too, although the Laurelwood was preferred, perhaps because it is so convenient to Cashiers as well as to Highlands which is just 15 minutes down the road. Again, this is more cabin than bed and breakfast style inn. If you prefer something more predictable, with more amenities and less rustic, than you may be happier at the Hampton or somewhere else.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Wladovich
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Was even better than we hoped. The managers were very nice and helpful. The place was very clean, beautiful, romantic, and convenient to everything. It is seasonal however so plan your eating times early. The food and hospitality were outstanding! We definitely will be back and recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank rudybga
Reviewed November 21, 2013

This property brought me back to my childhood at our Adirondack camp. The kind of place to reflect or read a book. The property is in the process of expanding it's natural setting. We arrived during the peak of leaf change so their were allot of visitors meandering about. My mouth watered as I stared into the little holding pond with those big trout in it. Maybe these guys are going to live in the big pond their about to construct...better bring my tackle box next time... the room was clean, bed was comfortable, and the heater kept you real toasty..and there was hot water to..I liked the big screened in porch, a wine & cheese pre-dinner place. ..we will stay here again when we are visiting this area.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank underwayatlast
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Arrived late at night driving to what seemed to be a remote area (saw a bear cub cross the road!). What a delight when we entered our great room, which was a 2BR (1 up/1 down) with a kitchen, and sitting area with pot belly stove. The decor was lodge style rustic and fun (ski's on the rafters). Comfortable beds, quiet & clean - everything we would want. Getting great advice the next morning on nearby hiking from Doris was the icing on the cake. First visit - won't be our last.

Room Tip: Room 319 is great if you want a 2 BR.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MissShoe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cashiers
Hampton Inn & Suites Cashiers-Sapphire Valley
Highlands Inn
Highlands Inn
#5 of 7 in Highlands
Skyline Lodge and Restaurant
Mitchell's Lodge & Cottages, Inc.

Been to Laurelwood Inn? Share your experiences!