“Excellent first impression”

Best Western Plus Cary Inn - NC State
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Cary
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My daughter and I stayed there 15th and 17th of October, 2012 and our first impression was this lovely, smiling, eager employee, Robin Woodard. She was so pleasant, patient and cheerful, my
daughter and I were so pleased at how efficient she was and knowledgeable. She made our stay an absolute delight. Thank you Robin.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Betty A

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I was attending an event in Chapel Hill and chose this hotel based on it's being a halfway point between the venue and the airport. Overall, it was a good value and I'd consider staying there again. The staff on the desk was very helpful and friendly, the directions I needed were printed out without me having to ask. The gym equipment was clean and in safe working order. Although they have recently remodeled the lobby the rooms have not been updated. Everything was clean but obviously older and worn. The curtains on my ground floor room were sheers only, which I don't consider adequate. The bathroom felt cramped due to an enormous tub and very small shower. (The tub was ringed with ceiling to tub mirrors, offering a panoramic view of the toilet. That's a design bug, not a feature.) While the hotel breakfast was acceptable, it was what you'd expect from a Best Western. (There is a Waffle House on the property as well). If you're looking for a budget hotel to crash for a few hours before a flight, this will serve you well.

Room Tip: Ask for the second floor, preferably not facing the parking lot due to the curtain weight.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I recently visited this Best Western, I utilized the online for my reservation. Initally I called the hotel directly and the reservation person said they were having internet problems and to call back.
So I went to the Best Western online and booked my stay. When I arrived after being in the car for 10 hours the staff at the desk said he could not fin my reservation so I handed him the printed reservation with the confirmation number. After looking at it it took him an additional 20 minutes to check me in. I think maybe some retraining needs to be done.
Then when I went to check out the next morning I stood waiting for 20 minutes until staff returned. When I return next month to the area I will be staying at The Double Tree down the road.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
BWPCGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Cary Inn - NC State, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review of our hotel. I am disappointed to hear of your experience. Unfortunately, in the past few weeks we have had an on-going problem with interfacing and receiving reservations. Because of our dependency on technology we are not as efficient as we should be. All systems problems have now been resolved. I am taking your comments very seriously and addressing them with all of our associates. Again, I apologize and hope that you can give us another opportunity to serve you if you are in the Cary area again. Please feel free to call the hotel direct if we can be of further service.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed three nights. The bed was excellent, firm, but not a board. The breakfast was a continental breakfast & waffles during the week. Staff were courteous and helpful. It would be nice to have a small refrigerator in the room. NCSU is nearby and easy to get to. Some rooms are inside, others have outside doors. If you have a preference, ask. WiFi is available but isn't password protected.

Room Tip: We like an inside door.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I had a morning business meeting at the McKimmon Center in Raleigh and booked a room here for the evening before on the recommendation of a family member. I was pleased with my choice. The room was comfortable and had all the usual amenties of a moderate hotel, including free Wi-Fi. Plenty of free parking in a well-lighted parking lot. Very friendly staff. The rate was at least 30% less than other nearby hotels with comparable rooms. The free coffee in the lobby was very good. Since I had a breakfast meeting, I did not take advantage of the free breakfast, so cannot comment on that. Would stay here again and would recommend thos hotel to others who have business in the NC State area.

Room Tip: This hotel has regular rooms and extended stay accommodations, which are located on different floors...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank artiekay1227
Reviewed August 1, 2012

For years I have stayed at this motel when I need to be in Raleigh for one or two nights on business. It is a very simple, basic motel. I stay there because it makes it fast and easy to get to the NCSU campus on a weekday morning, it offers state government rates, it has a decent breakfast offering in the morning, and there is coffee in the lobby 24 hours a day. It is clean, but not super clean. It was being remodeled and updated when I was there last month. So nothing fancy, but I always get a good night's sleep there. It is a little strange to get into the motel parking lot anymore because of the median on Walnut Street, but it only takes a minute to go down the road and do a u-turn at the light. Also, the signage is not the best right now. I turn in at the Waffle House entrance. The abandoned Pizza Hut building where you turn in makes the neighborhood seem seedy but the desk clerk told me that their company was building a more upscale motel right next door and the old building would be taken down.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Jeanine D
Reviewed July 22, 2012

As mentioned in the previous reviews, you can miss this hotel very easily if your not paying attention, and there is a median where you cannot make a left into the driveway. The road is also very heavly traveled, so making a U-Turn is about impossible.

At the time of our arrival, they were working on updating the feel of the lobby area. That wasn't a big deal to me, but that area was nice. There are two separate buildings. The front desk clerk referred to the other building as "The Suites Building," which is a nicer way of saying "Extended Stay over here." We stayed in the Extended Stay area.

As with any Extended Stay place, there was a cross of different types of people hanging out by the door going into the building. Some were just friendly people having a smoke while others were on their cell phones and looking suspicious.

We were impressed with the room at first, but this was based on previous poor experiences we had at another Best Western in May. We booked a King Suite. The first thing I noticed was how it looks like everything was crammed into the living area. Removing at least one piece of furniture would have made the room feel a little more comfortable. Since we were right near the second floor entrance to the building, we heard everyone's conversations as they walked in. I bet if I would have said something that fell within their conversation, they would have talked with me at great length with a wall and a door between us.

The bathroom was clean and well stocked, but you had to hold down the handle on the toliet to make it flush properly. If the bathroom door was cracked, the thing would ultimately open. The shower and the water pressure were very good.

The bedroom was very clean, but again, seemed like too much furniture was crammed into such a little space. We had to remove the chair to set-up the play pen for the baby. The bed was very firm, and the pillows were a little firm as well. Unfortunately, we need to have a little less firm of a bed. Not our fault, or the fault of the hotel, but we didn't sleep all that great.

Before this trip, my wife and I were going to swear off Best Western Hotels, but the company sent a $75 gift card for us to try them again. For ultimately coming out of pocket $11.23, it was worth it. Maybe $40 tops for the room, and not the $76.83 AAA rate they were charging. If I could easily get in, not have to worry about butting into conversations from the hallway while in the living area through a closed door, and not have to worry about holding down the handle of the toliet, then the $76.83 would have been good.

Room Tip: If in the Extended Stay building, the higher up you are, you should be okay.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family