“Napa valley in Cary NC”
Review of Herons

Herons
Reserve with OpenTable
Herons is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 468 Restaurants in Cary
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Harrison Avenue
Description: Herons delivers a dining experience that is both refined and relaxed. Led by James Beard Semifinalist in 2016 and 2017, Executive Chef Steven Greene, the expertly trained staff warms the room, providing seamless service that helps guests enjoy the pleasures of an elegant meal. The main dining room offers a full view of the kitchen, while floor-to-ceiling windows let in plenty of natural light and overlook the terrace, lawn and wooded lake beyond. In addition to the 98-seat main dining room, a semi-private dining room seats up to eight, while the private dining room accommodates 12 and showcases pottery by North Carolina artist Ben Owen. Outdoor seating invites al fresco dining in the spring, summer and fall. The neutral palette of the décor in Herons provides a sophisticated, yet understated backdrop to the bright and inspired flavor combinations artfully presented. The dinner menu changes seasonally and draws heavily on produce harvested from The Umstead’s own sustainable farm. The exceptional quality of Herons’ wine list been recognized with a prestigious “Award of Excellence” from Wine Spectator.
Reviewed November 6, 2012

It's the plesant surprise of walking into this gorgeous hotel and finding Napa Valley fresh gourmet menus that are trending now, along a serene pond with nature. The head chef> Scott Crawford, is tops in my opinion. His Really inventive healthy locally inspired dishes are unforgettable.

There are newer reviews for Herons

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Herons is a great spot for fine dining. The wait staff are all very professional and the food is always creative and delicious. One of my favorite experiences is the chefs tasting menu, it usually changes seasonally. The environment is great for romance or business. The next morning be sure to check out breakfast and if it is a busy weekend, make reservations.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Went there for a brunch with friends. Brunch seems to be the best option unless you are to spend a lot.
The food is exceptional. The service is what you would expect from a 5-star establishment. The atmosphere is wonderful, they even had a performing harpist.
I highly recommend it, but beware of the pricetag.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

So I had really high expectations, but why shouldn't I- it's a 5 star restaurant?! Both my husband and I work in hospitality - (we met in at a fine dining restaurant) so we were super excited to experience Heron's since we are missing the high end places we left in Chicago. The service is technically perfect, but there was no warmth, or even interest. Just going through the motions, but I can get over that... We ordered quite a few courses and everything was presented beautifully, however: the foie appetizer was interesting... I like complex flavor combinations - like caramel, espresso and foie - it could have been great if I could taste the foie, at all - the other flavors completely overshadowed it. The entree's took 45 minutes to come out - and we like to take our time to dine, but that's a little excessive. My potato terrine (I think?) was cold and hard - at least put it under a heat lamp. My ribeye was so tough I was shaking the table trying to cut it - (it was MR/M). We ordered a cheese plate, which took another 25 minutes - which I would understand if they were busy - but at that point we were one of like 4 tables left, and it was like a thursday (or someday midweek). I was super excited about the desserts, since that's what I do.. the chocolate and pine... the chocolate was great, the pine mousse (I think?) was like eating pine sol. Sad. But again, the plates were gorgeous and you can tell they care about the way everything is presented. I just wish the food was nearly as tasty as it looked. Maybe we were there while the kitchen transition was going on - chef leaving, new one taking over... I get it. It was probably just an off night, but we were dropping around $500 - with wine. Will I go back, probably not. Why would I want to risk another $500? Sigh, I'm not a big complainer here, I promise, but there was enough wrong that I had to write about it. I just really wanted it to be a fantastic night out, at least the company was exceptional.

5  Thank Bull_City_Sunshine
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Everything on the menu is top notch! You cannot go wrong as the chef is second to none! In addition, the wait staff is professional and knowledgeable of the menu

Been to Herons? Share your experiences!