“Great restaurant for special occasion”
Review of Herons

Herons
Reserve with OpenTable
Herons is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 468 Restaurants in Cary
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Harrison Avenue
Description: Herons delivers a dining experience that is both refined and relaxed. Led by James Beard Semifinalist in 2016 and 2017, Executive Chef Steven Greene, the expertly trained staff warms the room, providing seamless service that helps guests enjoy the pleasures of an elegant meal. The main dining room offers a full view of the kitchen, while floor-to-ceiling windows let in plenty of natural light and overlook the terrace, lawn and wooded lake beyond. In addition to the 98-seat main dining room, a semi-private dining room seats up to eight, while the private dining room accommodates 12 and showcases pottery by North Carolina artist Ben Owen. Outdoor seating invites al fresco dining in the spring, summer and fall. The neutral palette of the décor in Herons provides a sophisticated, yet understated backdrop to the bright and inspired flavor combinations artfully presented. The dinner menu changes seasonally and draws heavily on produce harvested from The Umstead’s own sustainable farm. The exceptional quality of Herons’ wine list been recognized with a prestigious “Award of Excellence” from Wine Spectator.
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Menu changes based on chef's selections. Food is excellent but it can be expensive. Definitely a place to celebrate a special occasion. Sunday brunch is supposedly very good.

There are newer reviews for Herons

Reviewed October 31, 2011

Herons is an excellent restaurant and experience. With that being said they focus on top level presentation and service. Come here with the expectation of being well taken care of and trying some unique foods or seeing 5 star preparations. I enjoyed the meal and will visit again but would not make this a location for consistent dining out.

Reviewed October 16, 2011

For perspective, dinner for two was over $200USD. This included 2, 3-course meals 3 glasses of wine and 1 dessert with 2 coffees. Actually less than I expected. IMHO this is food that is fussed with too much. Kumamoto oysters, I would have preferred on the half shell. Ceasar salad very good, presentation was interesting with lettuce in a roll, white anchovy and some parm on the side. Main course lobster with a sauce that was good. Again, I prefer simply poached. All others in my party raved about their food. Wife had oysters, duck consomme, pheasant. Others had beef and sea bass. Somehow this meal did not pull it off for me. I felt the same way about a pricey meal at Charley Trotter's in Chicago years ago. I guess, I prefer food prepared more simply. If you are into "art food", you will not be disappointed. If you just want an excellent meal at about half the price, there are plenty of other options in the triangle. I expected for that amount of money, to have eaten one of my most memorable meals. It certainly was not that. The service was excellent and atmoshpere comfortable, btw.

Reviewed October 5, 2011

Awesome. I enjoyed 2 breakfast seating’s, and 1 dinner and cocktail hour at Heron's (Umstead Hotel). The food is simply amazing. The staff is well trained, friendly and more than pleasant. I didn't see anyone not smiling. I will return, no doubt. I recommend the salmon and cream cheese bagel, as well as the crab cake eggs benedict for breakfast. For dinner try the sea scallops or tuna.....just wonderful. Don't miss the original and stylish cocktails at the bar outside the restaurant. If you have time take a stroll on the many walking paths surrounding the facility.

Reviewed September 25, 2011

For our 5th anniversary, my wife and I stayed at The Umstead and had dinner at Herons. Hannah was our waitress and greeted us by name and knew the occasion we were there for. She knew the menu very well and answered any questions we had. Her recommendation was right on the money. We had the Chefs Taste sampler that was paired with different wines for each dish. The staff was very precise and attentive. They knew my wishes before I did. The meal was an absolute great dining experience. By far the best restaurant in the area.

Been to Herons? Share your experiences!