“Disappointing service” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Cary
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Disappointing service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I live local and have read about the Umstead since the Goodnights began development.
My experience is only with the bar/lounge service which was poor.
Arrived Saturday evening to have drinks with friends who were staying there. They had drinks when we arrived so my date and I decided to order a bottle of wine to share. Four trips back and 20 minutes after we ordered our wine we still didn't have our bottle of wine. Waiter didn't seem to care and was unenthusiastic about overcoming this problem. Apparently our "good" bottle of wine was stored downstairs and there was only one person who knew where it was???
Our waiter never apologized, offered an alternative, gave us a clear idea of when the bottle might arrive or any number of options that might have been ok. He stopped by periodically to see if our friends might need another drink. Finally after around 25 minutes I said forget the wine I'll have a drink instead. At this point there was still some hope that he'd recognize the problem and make at least a half-hearted attempt to do something or offer even an insincere apology. Instead, he said "Ok, what would you like?"
I have heard the restaurant and bar service is typically very slow from numerous friends and this was my experience as well. I can't imagine I'll be back anytime soon. At these prices, great service should be expected.

• 2 of 5 stars
      Cleanliness
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank 779933

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Oklahoma City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Beautiful quiet hotel nestled in hilly North Carolina landscape. Luxury accommodations and good food. A few tips--there are not enough pool chairs so if you are there to relax by the pool, go down before 9 a.m. and stake out your spot. Also, unless you need valet, park the car yourself for the guest parking lot is a short walk from the lobby and the speed of the valet service is inconsistent. Other than those few items, it was an extremely pleasant and relaxing experience.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 stars
The_Umstead_Hotel, General Manager at The Umstead Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay. I'm glad you had an overall positive stay and appreciate you sharing the constructive comments. We strive to exceed guest expectations and your comments will be shared with our team.

Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

This is a wonderful place to come for a weekend getaway or just to unwind. The staff could not be more helpful and courteous. They greet you by name everywhere you go in the hotel & spa and go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. The rooms are comfortable and spacious with plenty of room for your things and to lounge. The spa is relaxing and a wonderful place to spend time. I did the morning yoga class (offered on Sat & Sun) which was great. It was outside which I enjoyed except for the mosquitos which were fierce. We had breakfast both mornings at Herons which we strongly recommend. Overall, well worth it and I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: You can valet or self-park
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us! I am truly glad you were able to participate in our weekend yoga program. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

I am posting this for my husband who doesn't usually write reviews however however he was so disappointed about the experience that he put this together. As we were together (he planned a BD celebration for me), I am posting:

I started the day calling at 9:00 am to let the to remind them that we might be in a bit early - 1:30 ish to a 3:00 p.m. GUARANTEED check-in. We had other options to spend our time but getting checked in to the hotel was our preference. I had also noted such on the notes to the reservation. The nice, but somewhat clumsily spoken man let me know that he would "prioritize our check-in" as a result of the call, but couldn't guaranty our "priority status". (Fair enough). At about 1:30 p.m, we were about 40 minutes outside of Cary, I called again to confirm and was again told that they were not sure about when the room would be available. "Leading Hotels" have leading systems that help them manage rooms. Maybe the staff isn't trained yet in how to use the room allocation system?

Actual arrival at the hotel was 2:20 p.m., only 40 minutes before the guaranteed check in time. At check-in, a pleasant enough young man (David) noted that our room wasn't ready, didn't know what time it would be available, but assured that we wold be on priority status. We decided to walk around the grounds as we waited for our room.

At 3:30 p.m., 30 minutes past the guaranteed check in time, I decided to check with the front desk to determine the status of our room (as no one had thought to communicate with us)

Apparently the hotel staff had decided that we were worthy of an uprade to a one-bedroom suite vs. the executive suite that I had reserved....great!.... .oops, but that room wasn't ready and would be at least another 30 minutes. However, the very pleasant gal could tell that I was getting a bit annoyed, especially when I noted that my wife and I could have spent the afternoon over at Prestonwood CC where we are members (irony – the Goodnight family was involved in the development of Prestonwood CC and The Umstead Hotel) rather than in the lobby of the hotel...so she offered up some free drinks. A nice enough waiter came by and asked a couple which was sitting near us if they would like to order their free drinks. The couple seemed confused and refused...and the waiter didn't approach us.

About 5 minutes later (3:45), one of the front desk associates let us know that we could have our regular executive suite or wait another 20 minutes for the one-bedroom suite. My wife and I noted we would take the our original room, expecting that should would immediately return with our keys. After another 5 minutes a member of the bar staff came by to offer us drinks and provided drink menus. Immedaitely thereafter the front desk associate came back with our keys to our original room....dilemma! Drinks? our execuite suite? or a counter offer for the one-bedroom suite?

We decided to have a drink and the wait for the upgrade to the one-bedroom suite. It was past the promised time on the one-bedroom suite but we felt we needed a libation to calm us down.

The rest of the stay passed uneventfully - an excellent room and no recurrence of poor customer service. However, it could have started so much better if the staff knew the room availability and managed accordingly.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank KPDallas
Wytheville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Loved this five-star, five diamond resort. It was absolutely beautiful, set into a peaceful, gorgeous location which were calming and romantic. Restaurant "Herrons" was absolutely fantastic, food was sensational and delicious, service was unbelievably wonderful, décor was beautiful, wines choices were numerous and fine. Room for us, and next door suite for brother and family were large, beautifully decorated and quite elaborate. All accomodations were regal and staff were professional, and yet friendly and warm. No where else have I been in the past year that made me feel so relaxed, pampered and happy. Spa services were most professional, massages were delightful, steam room and hot tub were perfect. Pools were lovely, relaxing, clean and absolutely delightful. Hotel staff made each guest feel like a prince/princess. Loved it !

Room Tip: Each and every guest I spoke with loved their accomodations.
      Location
Charlottesville, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

This pretentious property just doesn't fit in with Cary's lack of pulse and personality. It reminds one of a resort you would typically find in Florida or along the California coast.Cary is hardly a tourist destination but I recognize it was probably built for SAS and its clients who have deep, deep pockets. Very expensive and pretentious, with unnecessary valet parking, this resort is an overkill to say the least.Even spa membership is around $4,000 a year, clearly beyond the pockets of most people living in a small town.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 stars
8 Thank Jake B
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

A quick trip to celebrate my birthday at the Umstead was a lovely surprise! The curb appeal is spectacular with the verdant flowers and landscaping. Valet staff is prompt and welcoming. Property is a peaceful and lovely oasis in the midst of the research triangle. Our spacious room was filled with natural light and lovely decor. The bellman took the time to familiarize us with the numerous amenities in the suite. The one disappointment was the 45 minute wait we had before checking in, despite the fact that we arrived at suggested time. No complimentary drinks were offered other than water. This over site was frustrating after a driving 2 hours. Felt that the spa changing rooms & pool could have been suggested as an option to sitting in the lobby.

Room Tip: Request a room over looking the pond. It's beautiful.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 stars
The_Umstead_Hotel, General Manager at The Umstead Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing our property. I regret that you were inconvenienced during your arrival to the hotel and that suggestive alternatives were not provided. I appreciate your patience and am glad the remainder of your visit exceeded your expectations. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back!

Jim Beley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cary
Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh-Cary
SpringHill Suites Raleigh Cary
Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh / Crabtree Valley
Embassy Suites by Hilton Raleigh - Durham/Research Triangle
The Mayton Inn
The Mayton Inn
#6 of 22 in Cary
5.0 of 5 stars 47 reviews
Hampton Inn and Suites Raleigh/Cary-I-40 (PNC Arena)

Been to The Umstead Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!