“Massage Review”

Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Cary
Apex, North Carolina
“Massage Review”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I have been going to The Ulmstead for massages for the past three or four years (I live local). PROS: As far as the staff, they are excellent - very accommodating, top notch. The facility is clean, warm, inviting, and absolutely what you would expect from a four star hotel spa. Anything you ask for, they will accommodate and make it happen. CONS: Price is, as expected, high. Because of that, you expect the best. The therapists are very good. Each one has a different method, so be sure to try different people to find your favorites. What is an absolute rip-off is the 75 minute massage - DO NOT GET THE 75 MINUTE! I have gotten this on numerous occasions and what I found is this. All other facilities I have been to, you get a 75 minute massage! Here, however, if you spend a lot extra for the 75 minute versus the 50 minute, what you are actually getting is around 60 minutes. Completely wrong and a lot of money for 10 more minutes. Several times now, I had worn my watch. Not on purpose, just had it (except last time was on purpose because I "caught on"). My massage was scheduled for 1:30 - I was still in the downstairs holding room waiting at 1:30 p.m. My therapist didn't get me until 1:35. We then rode up the elevator, went to the room, etc. By the time I was on the table and he started it was about 1:43 p.m. I had my robe on and was headed back to the room for water at 2:45 p.m. Again, this was not the first time it happened. The 50 minute massage is always a 50 minute massage. Stay with that. It will not disappoint.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Ann27539
The_Umstead_Hotel, General Manager at The Umstead Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience from The Umstead Spa. I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed the facility and staff. I regret to hear your disappointment in some aspects of your service interaction. We look forward to serving you again in the future and exceeding your expectations.

Jim Beley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Virginia
Reviewed October 30, 2013

My wife and I spent two days at the Umstead to celebrate my birthday and attend an arts and crafts fair in Cary. From the moment of our arrival, we were very well taken care of. We were upgraded to a suite that had a large balcony overlooking grounds where a wedding took place each afternoon of our stay. Shortly after we got to our room, a tray of macarons and a small bottle of prosecco arrived. Everyone we encountered was very friendly and helpful. On our first afternoon, we received an email containing a document that needed to be signed and faxed. The concierge took care of it for us right away and recommended things to do in the area. We ate each meal at the hotel, once at their high-end restaurant. Every meal was terrific. We did not try the spa services, but the gym provided plenty of equipment for a good workout needed to burn off some of the calories we consumed. When we departed, the valet put a couple of bottles of water in our car for the ride home. This is definitely going to be our place to stay whenever we are in the Raleigh area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I appreciate your review title "Gracious Southern Hospitality". We pride ourselves in creating memorable guest experiences daily and I am delighted to read that you had that experience personally. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to serve you and we look forward to your return.

Morehead City
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We went to celebrate our 34th anniversary and it was 5 star service the entire time. This is how all hotels should treat their guests. It was worth every penny spent and you will spend some money here but it's all worth it. I highly recommend this hotel. The bicycles we used to ride through Umstead State Park were in great condition and were a nice perk; no additional fee for their use. The fitness center was clean and not crowded. The facials we had at the spa were top notch and everything in the spa was first class. Our dinner at Herron's was gourmet and excellent; the service impeccable ......would love to return!

Dear Guest,

Congratulations on your 34th Anniversary. We appreciate your patronage and are grateful that you shared your experience. I am personally pleased you were able to take in so much of what the property offers and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Raleigh, NC
Reviewed October 29, 2013

My wife and I started our 10th anniversary getaway at the Umstead. The service, rooms, and overall experience were great. We even got a nice, unexpected treat delivered to our room in honor of our event. We've already started talking about making the Umstead an annual escape.

We had a 3rd floor room overlooking the lake and enjoyed the relaxing balcony views. We also enjoyed the short walk around the lake and the art gallery with its colorful exhibit. We finished up with an enjoyable lunch at Herons before continuing on our trip.

After staying at the Umstead, we couldn't help but be let down when we got to our next destination.

Dear Guest,

Congratulations on your 10th Anniversary! I am delighted to read that we provided an outstanding and memorable stay for you and your wife. We look forward to being a destination for your celebrations in the future!

Lexington, South Carolina
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Cary, NC is a suburb of Raleigh. Stay here when you visit to enjoy the beauty of NC and still be close to the activity of Raleigh. Conveniently tucked in right by I-40 makes it a perfect choice when you have tickets to the PNC Arena about 5 minutes away depending, of course, on traffic. From the moment you drive up, and until you sadly have to leave, you will be telling yourself that you selected THE BEST HOTEL around! The professional staff are extremely well-trained to ensure that you have whatever it is you need without being obtrusive. There wasn't anything we could find that they could do better than they already were! Highlights: fast and delicious room service, 5 star spa (even if you don't get a treatment, you can enjoy the amenities--coed hot tub outside), and the super cool one touch controls for temperature and lights in your room. Plus comfortable beds that are perfect--not too soft to hurt your back but just right! There's so much more to this luxury hotel and the price is very fair. You will keep patting yourself on the back saying you did good by selecting The Umstead for your stay in NC.

Room Tip: It's located in a gorgeous location, I cannot imagine a bad room, but we chose a view in the rea...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent review of The Umstead Hotel and Spa. I'm glad you found our location convenient and a luxurious choice. We are honored to be considered "The Best Hotel" and appreciate your patronage.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Having lived in Chapel Hill for several years, I've spent a good amount of time at the Umstead for work, but had never stayed in a room there until recently. Predictably, it was fantastic.

The hotel has the feel of having been built, designed, and furnished to be 100% high quality, regardless of profitability. Now, maybe it's very profitable, I don't know; I just know that every detail was filled in perfectly. This extends to the resident artwork, some of which originally inspired me to purchase Ben Owen pottery, for example.

What stood out on this trip was 1.) the room and 2.) the spa. I ended up in a suite, which was just great. The bed is fantastic, the room was quiet, the bathroom is perfect. After running around the adjacent SAS office complex, which is great, I visited the sauna/steam room. This was wonderful, too, and I had the place nearly to myself.

All in, I'll look for an excuse to return. And, as for which hotel the Umstead is tied with: the Rosewood in Menlo Park, CA.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of The Umstead Hotel and Spa. I am happy to learn how pleased you were with your stay. We are humbled to be tied for your favorite hotel and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Greensboro NC
Reviewed October 15, 2013

You can't beat this place, located just off of !-40, minutes away from Raleigh, Chapel Hill, and Durham.

We were able to get a AAA rate on a Sunday evening and were pleased to learn that there were no additional resort surcharges or parking fees.

There is a wide range of spa services available; however, the workout room, sauna, steam room, whirlpool and comfortable spa lounges are included in the room rate. Each guest is offered a private, comprehensive tour of the options and areas by a spa concierge.

Rooms are impeccable and beautifully appointed... great bedding and state of the art room controls. Service personnel are very attentive; nightly turn down, daily newspapers, robes and slippers are some of the amenities.

The knowledgeable barkeep tends an upscale bar with a wide range of offerings.

Throughout the tranquil hotel are many examples of artists' works from all over. In essence, it is an art gallery (including a guide for art exhibits).

The outdoor activities include a ten minute walk around a lake, or 45 minute walk through the adjacent SAS campus. About a mile away is Umstead State Park, which has thousands of acres of wooded walking and running trails, streams, and lakes.

1 Thank CarolinaTrekkers
The_Umstead_Hotel, General Manager at The Umstead Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback and remarks. It is wonderful to know that you were able to take advantage of our property amenities during your short visit! I am glad you saw value in your stay and we hope that translates to a return visit. We would be honored to welcome you back.

Jim Beley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cary
The Mayton Inn
The Carolina Inn
#3 of 18 in Chapel Hill
Hyatt House Raleigh North Hills
Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club

Been to The Umstead Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!