“A dream come true”

The Umstead Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Cary
Reviewed August 18, 2013

My family spent the weekend of my husband,s 70th birthday at The Umstead, it was all I could have hoped for and more. The pool provided charming buckets w water and misters. Towels were abundant. Our suite overlooked the lovely lake and grounds. Loved the beautiful art work throughout even in the guest rooms. The gift shop had unique things and several came home with me. We did not want to leave.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
The_Umstead_Hotel, General Manager at The Umstead Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing The Umstead Hotel and Spa for your special birthday celebration for your husband! I am pleased to hear about your memorable stay and hope that we can welcome you back for future occasions.

There are newer reviews for The Umstead Hotel and Spa

Reviewed August 16, 2013

From the moment you pull up you realize you are at a world class hotel. The lobby is very inviting and open. The room was more like a room at your house, modern and cozy. We swam in the outdoor pool overlooking a nice size pond. So relaxing! The restaurant was first class and allowed us to dine on the terrace. On the second night we went across the street to Ruth Chris. Great relaxing stay!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ScottBWeaver

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your positive review of The Umstead Hotel and Spa! I am glad you were able to enjoy the facilities including our seasonal outdoor pool and Herons, our five star dining room. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future!

Reviewed August 5, 2013

We arrived on a rainy Saturday afternoon for an overnight getaway, but as soon as we drove onto the magnificent Umstead property, we were transported to an oasis of luxury and decadence that made the rain clouds disappear. From the moment we walked through the sleek and stunning lobby, we knew we were in for a memorable stay. As a surprise, we were upgraded to a lake view suite - and all I can say is WOW. The decor, the amenities, the size, were beyond expectation. Had we not had a reservation at Herons (one of our best dining experiences ever) we might not have left the room. Our stay was made complete by ordering room service for breakfast. And that by far was our best room service experience ever. Hot, delicious and surpisingly reasonably priced for room service, and did I say DELICIOUS?!?
I'd highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for comfort, elegance and luxury. Hope to return!

1  Thank shannonalyce

Dear Guest,

The review of your recent stay is the reason we are in the hospitality business. I am delighted to hear that your day was transformed by stepping foot through our doors. We hope that the memories you created will last and that we'll be your choice in the future. Thank you for being our guest.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

In town for a night for the Robert Plant show at Booth Amphitheater - I booked a night at the Umstead. The hotel really exceeded my expectations and the photos on the Umstead website completely understate how beautiful the property is and how well appointed the rooms are. I have stayed in hotels around the world (see my reviews) and I put the Umstead near the top of the finest hotels I have ever stayed in.

The hotel makes a great first impression and when I pulled out and was greeted by the staff I knew I was in for a great stay. We arrived early around 12Noon and was fortunately given a early check-in. The staff was cheerful and helpful. The lobby area is beaufiful with many pieces of original art, including a Chiluly glass sculpture.

The room we had was wonderful. The bed was among the most comfortable I have ever slept in with exceptional high quality linens. The bathroom was huge with everything we needed.

We had both lunch and dinner at the bar area and sat out on the terrace with a wonderful and peaceful view of the pond that is to the rear of the hotel. The pictures on the website do not do this justice. The terrace is beautiful, quiet, and relaxing. The food offered at the bar is just not bar food but exquisitely prepared and served. We did not get a chance to try the restaurant Heron's.

Having some time in the afternoon I wondered over to the spa and tried it out. As part of the room rate I was able to access the sauna, steam room, and hot tub. It was delightful. I will say the outdoor pool the hotel has is not particularly big and was slammed during my time there and was not able to try it out.

Overall, the Umstead is simply magnificent. I look forward to staying here again!!

Room Tip: My sense is the best room views are going to be to the rear facing the pond.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Umstead_Hotel, General Manager at The Umstead Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for making The Umstead Hotel and Spa your destination while in the area for a concert at nearby Booth Amphitheater! It gives me great pleasure to learn how impressed you were with our facility, food and beverage and quality of accommodations. All of our beds are a custom Stearns & Foster mattress and were part of a complete renovation of our guest rooms and suites.

We hope on your next visit you'll be able to take even more advantage of your stay by dining in Herons, having a treatment at The Umstead Spa or by taking a refreshing dip in the pool!

Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

A wonderful retreat with spacious rooms and a lot of amenities. A little uptight of a feel for me (created simply by those staying there). However the staff were delightful and eager to please. The gym and path around the pond was ideal for a little circuit training which was much needed because I discovered their room service breakfast which was delightful. So I had to earn my meals in the morning :)

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of The Umstead Hotel and Spa. I am delighted to know you enjoyed our grounds and facilities while staying with us and that our staff was accommodating to your needs. Also, I'm pleased that you treated yourself to our fabulous in-room dining experience! Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We went to the Umstead for the weekend to celebrate my birthday. This was a fantastic experience. Everything was first class - from the facilities, the room, the staff, the spa, the pool and the grounds. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and felt very pampered.

We had a lakefront balcony room and it was very roomy. I had a great pedicure in the spa - would have had more services but it was booked up by the time I called.

The hotel staff did everything they could to make my birthday special!
I would highly recommend a stay at this hotel!

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us at The Umstead Hotel and Spa for your recent birthday celebration! I'm glad you were able to take advantage of the property during your stay and that your stay was a memorable one!

We hope to welcome you back for future special occasions.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

We have been fortunate to stay here several times and the last time was as part of a college graduation for my son in North Carolina. The Umstead is simply an amazing place. From the moment you walk in, it is like stepping back in time as you are treated like not just another guest but part of the family. As part of LHW Unlimited, we were in the Presidential Suite and it is over the top. We didn't want to leave. I cannot underscore how much you will enjoy your stay here. On a scale of 1 to 10, it is a well deserved 11.

Room Tip: GO! We also ate in Herons for both breakfast and dinner and it was excellent,
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank intrepidtravelerfla

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your glowing review of The Umstead Hotel and Spa and Herons. We appreciate your enthusiastic comments and I will definitely share these with our staff who always try to make each guests stay memorable. Congratulations on your son's graduation and thank you for staying with us!

Jim Beley

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cary
The Mayton Inn
Renaissance Raleigh North Hills Hotel
The Carolina Inn
The Carolina Inn
#3 of 18 in Chapel Hill

Been to The Umstead Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!