“Pretty impressive”

The Umstead Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Cary
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised with how great The Umstead was. I was not sure what to expect for my first visit to North Carolina. The hotel was a pleasant oasis. It is close to the highway, but managed to feel very secluded. The pool area was beautiful and well-staffed. We appreciated the ice cold water that we were offered, as well as a spritz bottle to keep cool in the sun. The hotel had a very calming feel. There was a harpist playing at night in the lobby / lounge area. Our room was immaculate, nicely appointed with a very large bathroom. I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Raleigh / Cary.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PAG224
The_Umstead_Hotel, General Manager at The Umstead Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing The Umstead Hotel and Spa for your first visit to North Carolina. I am delighted to hear that we exceeded your expectations. We pride ourselves in providing the highest quality services and facilities and your recognition of that is appreciated. If your travels bring you back to North Carolina we would be delighted to welcome you back.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

The Umstead Hotel was the best hotel I have stayed in so far. The employees are dynamite. Their service is impeccable! The hotel itself is well cared for and very elegant. I couldn't have gotten a better sleep. I loved it!!

Room Tip: Higher rooms are the best for quietness. Not too sunny, not too bright. Fifth floor perfect.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for enthusiastic review of The Umstead Hotel and Spa. We appreciate every guest comment we receive and seeing "The Best" makes us ecstatic! We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

This place does everything right: impeccable service, beautiful exterior surroundings, custom designed interiors, a top-notch restaurant...everything a luxury hotel should be and have. This was a business trip for my wife, but my daughter and I tagged along for some family fun. When in the Durham area, I would choose to stay nowhere else.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Elvis355
The_Umstead_Hotel, General Manager at The Umstead Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for making The Umstead Hotel and Spa your destination when visiting the Triangle area. We appreciate your recognition of our quality facility and staff. I am happy to hear of your positive experience with our property and we hope your travels find you back to us one day soon!

Reviewed June 1, 2013

In North Carolina, there is no place better than The Umstead Hotel. Without exception, this lovely property, which, though very secluded, (if you didn't know it was there, you wouldn't know it was there,) sits right off Raleigh's main Interstate 40. Yet once you step inside its wonderfully understated and naturally themed contemporary decor, you enter a tranquil and serene oasis totally devoid of life's mind numbing ambient distractions. I suspect it was the mission, if not the dream of the creative team behind The Umstead, to design an environment where everything would come together in perfect balance and harmony; with a home run and a half...they succeeded. Everything about this hotel is wonderful...from the people to the furnishings to the services provided. I have never stayed at this property and not been greeted by a cheerful, pleasant, helpful employee. This is true of everyone from the individual who opens the beautiful front glass doors as you enter the premises to the person checking you in. The employees who keep your room immaculate during your stay in residence are also always friendly and professional. Okay, so accommodations are kept painstakingly neat and always super-super clean, Are they comfortable? Let's just say that if a room at The Umstead had been available all those many long years ago, Goldilocks would have never found herself in the woods having trouble with those bears. With its superb spa, the Umstead's staff and services rival those of any similar top of the line establishment in any major metropolitan city. And don't even get me started on Heron's, the hotel's onsite premier restaurant. (Note: Please read my separate review for them. In my opinion, the fare coming out of their kitchen should be classified as its own food group. Yes, it's really that terrific!) I live within 5 minutes of this Triangle "nirvana." I am proud to say that my husband, my little dog and I have spent many long weekends at The Umstead to unwind, take a walk around the peaceful pond that is situated just behind the hotel, partake of their heavenly afternoon tea service (again, another offering unmatched for hundreds of miles) and be treated to the best service in the area. Sure, we could go to the beach, to the mountains. North...south...but why? No one does it better right here in Raleigh's own back yard.

Room Tip: When traveling with a dog, the Governor's Suite is wonderful, as it opens out onto a private pat...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful description of your experiences with The Umstead Hotel and Spa and Herons. I've personally shared your review with our team as it exemplifies what we aim to deliver every day in our business - provide exceptional guest experiences. We hope to welcome you, your husband and your dog back to the property soon!

Reviewed May 30, 2013

When arriving I didn't know what to expect. The exterior was unassuming. The staff gracious and the food great. The grounds off the patio were lovely on a gorgeous spring day. With it being so close to the airport it was easy to get to once I arrived.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank RI02886
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Staff is gracious. This quiet, luxurious place is just the perfect start or end to a flight to the West Coast. The bar and Hawks restaurant are excellent with a large patio if weather permits. We would stay there again and again when in the area. It is a short drive to campuses, art museums, downtown, restaurants, shopping and Umstead State Park.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Umstead_Hotel, General Manager at The Umstead Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your thoughtful review of our property! I am delighted to hear you thought our location was not only convenient but more importantly, quiet and relaxing. We hope to welcome you back one day in the future!

Reviewed May 21, 2013

This resort is truly a hidden gem but it's close to everything including the Raleigh Durham Airport. If you don't plan on doing much driving then call the resort and request their pick up service. You can charge it to your room but the tip is NOT included. Any close transportation can also be obtained through the Concierge for minimal cost, again charged to the room except for the tip. The resort only has one main dining room but you can eat in or outside of the bar area as well as the pool. The spa was closed for remodeling but it did not diminish our stay at all.If you golf the Concierge can hook you up at a private course called "Prestonwood" which has 3 different 18 hole courses. Cost as of now is only $100 to play and $50 to rent clubs.

The Umstead delivers in every way and the staff is top notch too. Well worth the stay but I don't know how child friendly it is. None the less we will be going back again.

Room Tip: We had a Garden Patio walk out suite. Very nice and nestled away amid the flower and fauna.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us. I'm glad to know that the Concierge was able to assist you with your transportation and recreation requests. Prestonwood is a world-class golf course and I'm delighted you were able to enjoy it. We hope you will return once our spa is opened to take full advantage of The Umstead experience.

Jim Beley

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cary
The Mayton Inn
DoubleTree by Hilton Raleigh - Cary
3 mi away
Hyatt Place Raleigh West
Renaissance Raleigh North Hills Hotel

Been to The Umstead Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!