“Fantastic, if I come back will stay again”

The Umstead Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Cary
Canberra
“Fantastic, if I come back will stay again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

What a lovely hotel. The rooms are quality and well maintained, and the care and thought that has gone into this design is obvious. The service is fantastic, the rooms are very comfortable and it is very very quiet, which means you get an uninterrupted sleep. It is set in lovely surrounds, at the SAS campus. There is a gym, 24 hours, and lovely gardens with a small lake you can walk around. Useful to have some form of transport, but it is highly recommended.

Room Tip: Most rooms facing the lake have a balcony
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
The_Umstead_Hotel, General Manager at The Umstead Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your review of The Umstead Hotel and Spa. We know how important it is to feel rested whether you are travelling for pleasure or business, so it brings me great joy to know a good night sleep was had! I am also happy to hear you were able to take advantage of our natural surroundings as this surely adds to The Umstead experience!

Jim Beley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Armonk, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

This is an amazing hotel that even outperformed our high expectations. The staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful and the service at all levels is top-rate. We spent a night at the Umstead Hotel on our annual drive back to New York from our Florida house. My wife and I booked a suite (#107) and we were pleasantly surprised by a large living room and bedroom. In addition, we had a small patio that overlooked beautiful grounds. The room was immaculate and beautifully decorated. The bathroom was amazing with a wonderful shower. The linens, towels, soaps, etc. were first-rate. We usually stay at high-end hotels whenever we travel, and the Umstead clearly ranks with the best. This will now be a permanent stop on our trip to the north every spring. My only regret was that we would spend only one night in this wonderful hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I appreciate the review of your recent stay at The Umstead Hotel and Spa. We have many guests who make The Umstead their destination when travelling the East Coast and I am happy to hear of your positive experience. Our Patio Suites are some of the most requested rooms in the hotel due to their spacious size and their secluded garden views. We hope on your journey South you'll visit us again - we'd be delighted to welcome you back.

Fayetteville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Not to sound like a broken record, but WOW! I have now been at the Umstead 5 or 6 times. Sometimes to spend the night, others to have dinner or lunch. EACH TIME the service was excellent! If you want to feel special, experience being pampered, the Umstead is your place!

Room Tip: if you want a lake view room, try to stay in the center portion of the hotel. The outside sections...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Your enthusiasm is greatly appreciated! I am so pleased that the service you have experienced with us has been memorable and excellent. We take great pride in providing exceptional guest experiences and your review validates what we do! Thank you for taking the time to review The Umstead Hotel and Spa and we look forward to delighting you in the future!

Ottawa, ON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

Settled a few miles outside of downtown Cary and across the street from tech-giant SAS, this upscale property is nothing short of perfect. It's just off the interstate adjacent to Umstead State Park. It's lavishly decorated and features pottery, installation, and sculpture from area artists.

I stayed on the 6th floor, in a king suite for 5 nights. Pretty much every detail is accounted for.
An extremely comfortable bed. Linens were clean and plentiful. Marbled bathroom, a fantastically deep tub. Free wifi. Great views in every room. Forest on one side, manicured gardens and fountain on the other. Plenty of parking, plenty of staff to answer any question.

The restaurant has thoughtfully prepared food. Room service is excellent and speedy. It's mildly pricy, but the food speaks for itself. Every detail is considered, every request accommodated.

I was told that the spa was closed when I was here. The gym is state of the art with new machines (treadmills are hooked up to the internet!) and plenty of them.

Less than 10 minutes walk (mind yourself as you cross the interstate off/on-ramps) is the Ulmstead State Park, with beautiful forested walks that go for miles. Take a map. They're provided by the hotel or at the entrances to the the hiking paths. There is also a mini mall 5-minutes walking distance with many more affordable (though less desirable) food selections. Fast-food, thai, mediterranean. Again, limited sidewalks/crosswalks, so mind yourself and the traffic especially at night.

The only thing I was missing was a car to be able to make day trips that weren't work related. However, the hotel was so comfortable I was never disappointed to remain in my room, go to the gym, restaurant, go for a walk. It's truly a great property and hope to stay here again.

1 Thank Stu_W1
Dear Guest,

Your recent review of our property is incredibly gracious and I look forward to sharing it with our team. I am happy to hear you were able to enjoy so much of what The Umstead Hotel and Spa offers including our newly enhanced Fitness Center, our refreshed guest rooms including our new beds, our dining options and our natural environment which we feel adds to the calm of our property. We hope to welcome you back once The Umstead Spa reopens to gain the complete experience. Thank you for your business.

Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

I spend over 50 nights/year in hotels, usually standard type business hotels (Marriott, Hilton, Westin, etc) so it is a real treat when I get to stay someplace special. I just returned from a one day meeting at the Umstead where I got to stay overnight. This is an exceptional property! The room was large, fresh, well appointed and tastefully decorated. As mentioned in some other reviews, the bed was amongst the most comfortable I have slept in. The public spaces are adorned with art work from local artists so there is something to look at between meeting sessions or while you are just walking the hallways. The grounds also look really nice but I didn't have a chance to explore them. I also can not comment on the food in the restaurant (Herons) but the food served at the seminar was a definite cut above most meeting catered food.

The only downside to this hotel is that I did not get to stay more than one night.

Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

While I did not stay here, although I wish I had based on what I saw of the hotel, I did dine there with friends and it was fantastic. Very fresh and local ingredients, some of which are grown on the property I believe. A little expensive but honestly they give you a lot of food. Good service and a nice wine list. Eat outside if you can.

1 Thank bfchef
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Whether its a trip to the spa, an overnight stay in the hotel, or a meal in Herons....this is a nice place. We enjoy the spa and have been there a number of times for just about every treatment on their menu....all fantastic. It does depend on the experience of the staff, but most are really good. The prices are on the upper end, but the spa offers a lot. The hotel itself is very nice, comfortable and located centrally to many restaurants. The restaurant, Herons is very phroo phroo and not exactly what we would repeat many times, but for a special occasion...very nice! Plan on spending some money - definitely on the higher end.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Umstead_Hotel, General Manager at The Umstead Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear that your experience with us was memorable. We understand that the Herons experience may not have met your needs, but I am glad that you enjoyed the expanded offerings that our Bar and Lounge features. We take great care in maintaining the hotel and grounds and we appreciate that you were able to enjoy all of our amenities and features. We hope to welcome you back to the property for a future visit!

Jim Beley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cary
The Mayton Inn
The Mayton Inn
#6 of 22 in Cary
Embassy Suites by Hilton Raleigh - Durham/Research Triangle
Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh-Cary
Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh / Crabtree Valley
Hampton Inn and Suites Raleigh/Cary-I-40 (PNC Arena)
DoubleTree by Hilton Raleigh - Cary

Been to The Umstead Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!