“This hotel is truly first class”

The Umstead Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Cary
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Just stayed at the Umstead and was completely blown away by the service of every person I encountered. All of the staff work to make you happy and seem to truly value satisfied customers. The rooms are of course beautiful and luxurious, but I think the staff here is the real reason to visit.

• Stayed: November 2012

Reviewed November 7, 2012

My husband and I got married here in October and it was exactly what we wanted it to be and more. The customer service, attention to detail, execution, and overall ambiance made our day simply amazing. Thank you to the staff and everyone behind the scenes who truly made our wedding one to remember!

Room Tip: Bridal Suite was SUPERB!
Reviewed November 6, 2012

The Umstead does everything perfectly and you always feel like you are in some sort of euphoric state when you are there. Even though it is right down the road, my wife and I enjoy going there for weekend trips as it seems like you are worlds away. The grounds are gorgeous, the staff would let you walk on their backs if you asked them, and the food is incredible.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We only live an hour away, but the Umstead is a great getaway for a mid week break or a weekend to relax. The spa and dining options are a big plus! Watch for packaged specials on the web site. I have gone for a girls night out, a couples weekend and by myself to just unwind. Weather permitting, the pool is great and there are area's to walk near by. If you are a shopper, South Point Mall is an easy drive as well.

Room Tip: In the summer go for the garden level for privacy and easy access to the pool.
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Went on a get away with wife and stayed at Umstead and even had requested a special lake view room. Our room (#308) had a large (2+ feet x 1 foot) stain in the carpet which could have been dog urine, vomit, or who knows what. For a FOUR STAR hotel, this is unacceptable. Also the hotel ask you in aadvance about special considerations...I had requested foam pillows from THEIR form, but when we went to go to bed, all the pillows ar efeather which I am allergic to. Why bother asking and haveing special request forms if you are not going to bother fulfilling your customer request???

Again from a Days Inn or Holiday Inn I would have not expected much more...but from The Umstead, and any supposed four star hoterl I sure would have expected much more

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TTNIC99
The_Umstead_Hotel, General Manager at The Umstead Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Thank you for your valuable feedback. Please accept my apologies for the condition in which you found your guest room. We are aware of discoloration or “watermarking” of the carpet in a few of our accommodations which has been caused by sun exposure. The hotel will be replacing areas affected which should eliminate this issue.

I am also sorry that we failed to accommodate your request for foam pillows during your visit. It was an unfortunate oversight that has been addressed with additional staff training. Our records have now also noted your feather allergy and we will ensure that upon your next visit to the Umstead, your service requests will be fully met.

With Regards,
Jim Beley

Reviewed November 4, 2012

I just spent 3 days/2 nights in the Umstead's Executive suite (room 218) and was absolutely thrilled with every aspect of the facility, except for the food. It's not that it is bad: it's fresh, well prepared, thoughtful, but I think WAAYY too thoughtful. During our stay we tried:1) grilled pizza, 2) BBQ pork croquettes, 3) mac and cheese (entree), 4) club sandwich, 5) pork belly sandwich, 6) yogurt breakfast, 7) omelet breakfast, and others. These were the only things on the menu that had any appeal. Everything else was far to complex for us. The pumpkin crème brûlée sounded good until it said, "Maple Mousse, Curried Granola, Ginger Sorbet, Pepitas Fritas". How about just pumpkin crème brûlée? Really? Curry and ginger? Further examples: the grilled pizza: try to eat more than 1 slice- it's very rich. Club sandwich - try taking a bite. Mac and cheese - very good but not much mac. The BBQ croquettes - that mush in the middle ain't BBQ, take it off the menu. The mashed potatoes were the best thing I had all weekend. Sad, but true.

Me? Yes, I'm a simple man. I know you're catering to paletes much more sophisticated than mine, but remember the KISS principle (especially if you're trying to serve southern food!). I do enjoy exotic foods and have traveled the around globe, literally. But too much is too much. While sitting at the bar watching people eat I wondered if the chef ever looks at the plates as they return to the kitchen? I never saw anyone eat all of the BBQ croquettes.

I will be back. It's too fine of a facility to not visit. And Ruth's Chris is a block away.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RTWin80Days2008
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Great hotel, lovely rooms and excellent service ( maids, doormen, concierge and reception). Use of spa ( whirlpool, steam and sauna) included with the room. Outdoor heated pool. Spa is divided by gender with a co-ed lounge. Spa staff very helpful and a delight. Excellent spa facilities, changing rooms, hairdryers, toiletries and towels. Great lake with walking/ jogging track around it.

A meal in the bar was very good ( fillet steak) but the service was nothing short of deplorable. Multiple staff serving the table and all intent on pouring wine but not providing either food or the bill. very disappointing and frustrating.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be quiet as this is not near a road. Not that i tried any room other than my own !
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank cultureoutdoors

We appreciate your comments on the food served in The Bar and Lounge on your recent stay. We will certainly investigate each menu item to ensure the highest level of quality. We regret disappointing you with our menu offerings but I am pleased to know how satisfied you were with our surroundings and accommodations. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to ensure your next stay is exceptional!

Best Regards,
Jim Beley

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cary
The Mayton Inn
The Mayton Inn
#7 of 22 in Cary
Embassy Suites by Hilton Raleigh - Durham/Research Triangle
Renaissance Raleigh North Hills Hotel
DoubleTree by Hilton Raleigh - Cary
Hyatt House Raleigh North Hills
Hampton Inn and Suites Raleigh/Cary-I-40 (PNC Arena)

Been to The Umstead Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!