“An oasis...”

Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Cary
Global
“An oasis...”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

The Umstead Hotel know about service, attention to details, and how to awaken all of your senses.

This was my second trip, and I will be back again in December on business.

I was in a room overlooking the lake with a balcony, and it was a nice treat.
Room service is always on time, helpful, and the food is good.
The shrimp and grits for breakfast might be one of my all time favorite breakfast food indulgences.
The gift show is a lovely addition, with well known jewelry designers. The staff in the shop and throughout the hotel are friendly and attentive. They remember you, and seem genuine in their wanting to make your stay pleasant.
My colleague had a massage, and loved it so much -- he had a second one the next day.
On both stays I have seen that some of the GUESTS really seem to be challenging with a sense of entitlement, and I applaud the staff for their consistent patience and calmness.
The tub in the bathroom is heavenly.

Room Tip: If you can try to get a room facing the lake --do it. The suites are HUGE. More room than most would...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Our experience at the Umstead was perfect down to the smallest detail. We spent our anniversary weekend at the Umstead and we were treated like royalty! We walked into our beautiful room to find a bottle of Prosecco and mini desserts along with a card wishing us a happy anniversary. The rooms are huge, the largest "regular" room in any hotel I’ve ever stayed in that was not considered a suite. The bathrooms are also large and well equipped. The room has dimmers on every lamp and light fixture, very romantic. I really loved the room service and how they brought a table to your room and set it up for you (centerpiece and all) just like you were eating in a restaurant! I also loved the doorbell and the "Do Not Disturb" and "Housekeeping" buttons, so much better than having to place a card outside your door. When you press the Do Not Disturb button a red light illuminates outside of your room, when you press the Housekeeping button a green light appears and that is how the maids know you are ready to have your room cleaned! Brilliant! We also took advantage of the free bike rentals that they offer, there is a 13 mile bike trail right up the street from the hotel! Every person we interacted with was extremely professional, kind, helpful and seemed to really enjoy their job.. the service here is the Best around... Top Notch from the Maids to the Bells Hops to the Concierge... If you are ever in the area do yourself a favor and Stay Here! We might make this an annual trip! :)

Room Tip: Im not sure you could go wrong with any room but a room on a high floor with a balcony would be a gr...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
NY
Reviewed October 19, 2012

this was my second stay at the umstead. my first stay was in 2010, and it was great, but unfortunately they made a massive billing error at checkout which was really complicated to fix. however, they wrote to me and offered me a free stay as consolation for that inconvenience (kudos for that), so when i next found myself in NC (october 2012), i took them up on their offer.

the simplest way i can sum up the umstead is that it is a true 5-star luxury hotel. i have traveled around the world and been to a lot of places pretending to be luxury establishments - umstead is not among them. you will not be disappointed with the facilities or the service. the hotel is also really nicely done in terms of aesthetics. the rooms are spacious and everything seems very new. whoever is behind this hotel just "gets it" in terms of attention to detail and anticipation of guests' needs.

i visited herons restaurant for breakfast and the food and service were both excellent. i will say that it was a little stuffy for a casual meal. it was too cold out for me to be interested in the outdoor pool, but i really enjoyed the outdoor fireplace. it was especially nice that servers from the bar will come out and serve you fireside. i spent time in the spa and the facilities were simple, but new and nice. the treatments are overpriced but not alarmingly so. the staff was friendly and not at all pushy about booking more treatments or about how long you want to hang out in the common spa areas before or after your treatments. i also ate lunch in the spa and it was better than you might expect!

overall, i highly recommend the umstead to visitors to the raleigh area.

Room Tip: in terms of rooms, i recommend that you get a suite with a terrace. i stayed on the 6th floor and th...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Portola Valley, CA
Reviewed October 15, 2012

When visiting my Mother-in-Law in Durham and we want a treat, we stay at The Umstead in Cary, where she also joins us on a mini-vacation from her retirement home for a couple nights of luxurious pampering at The Umstead. It is a first class hotel in a market where there are no other options for a high end luxury hotel. The Umstead is on par with The Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton, yet it is a privately run hotel. Staff are all very well trained in European-style hospitality, where interactions are authentic not scripted. The property is gorgeous, with the owner's private art collection of primarily local artists featured everywhere throughout the hotel. The quality of the design, architecture, landscaping and interior decor are breathtakingly beautiful. Rooms are spacious and comfortably furnished. Heron's, the onsite restaurant, is elegant with a creative of fresh, local and healthy options. The spa is as well run as the rest of the property, and we have always enjoyed our massages, facials or mani-pedis. It is a very special place, where we always feel welcome when we arrive and leave refreshed, relaxed and eager to return.

Room Tip: The rooms on the side of the hotel facing the pool, park and pond are especially lovely. All have ba...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
The_Umstead_Hotel, General Manager at The Umstead Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you for your recent review of The Umstead Hotel and Spa. We are delighted to provide a pampering place for you and your family while you are visiting the Triangle. We appreciate your recognition of the beauty of our property but also the graciousness of our staff. I hope to welcome you back one day soon!

With Best Regards,
Jim Beley
Oakland, California
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Spend a weekend here recently while in NC visiting my daughter for her birthday. The hotel is perfection in every way. We had dinner n the restaurant, service impeccable, excellent food and presentation. We had a suite which was spacious, well appointed, comfortable bed, great coffee in the room, luscious bathroom, etc. The spa is very nice and the grounds are beautiful. Be sure to take a walk on the hotel grounds and then over to the SAS open space.

If you stay here, make it an event not just a place to sleep.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ChaChaOakland_Ca
Thank you for your review of The Umstead Hotel and Spa. I am pleased to hear that your experience with us was memorable. We take great care in maintaining the hotel and grounds and we appreciate that you were able to enjoy all of our amenities and features.

With Best Regards,
Jim Beley
London
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I have to travel regularly to Raleigh on business. The Umstead takes a boring trip and turns it into a real treat. The hotel is just perfect. The grounds are stunning and well worth making time to walk round. The bedrooms are beautiful, spacious, great condition and fully serviced. The Spa is expensive but excellent. The hotels public rooms are truly stunning. Its expensive but then perfect luxury usually is.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
dallas, texas
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I am fortunate to be a repeat guest of the Umstead and I have to say this visit is even better than the last time I was here. The room was spotless. The spa-like bathroom had the huge soaker tub that I remembered from my last visit. Toiletries from their spa still smell delicious. I slept well and I never sleep well the first night of a business trip.

The staff is gracious and extremely helpful -- for example, I used the print from your room feature and called down to see where to pick up the print outs. The front desk clerk suggested that he have the printouts brought to me instead. Within minutes there was a knock at my door and a bellman had the printouts in hand.

Dinner in the Heron restaurant was excellent. Everything was well prepared and it was well timed. We did not feel rushed at all. Our group was able to stay and chat for as long as we wanted (we sat on the patio since the weather was nice). Our waiter was very professional and helped several in our party with suggestions.

All in all, a very relaxing time considering we were here for work. Would love to come back for a weekend to enjoy the spa, the beautiful pool, another great meal, and some relaxation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cary
The Mayton Inn
The Carolina Inn
#3 of 18 in Chapel Hill
Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club
Hyatt House Raleigh North Hills

Been to The Umstead Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!