“Ouch”

The Umstead Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Cary
Reviewed December 27, 2011

This hotel is every bit a match for a Four Seasons except in one respect: The mattress in my room was lumpy, uneven and in general much less good than you find these days in any standard chain hotel. Too bad. I'd love to rate it higher, but even amid amazing art, handsome design and swift and polished service, a bad mattress kinda trumps.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed December 18, 2011

My husband and I have stayed at the Umstead for the last 6 years during the holidays, Thanksgiving or Christmas. Each time we are not disappointed. The location is perfect...right off the freeway, close to the airport, the Umstead Recreation Area and a short drive to Raleigh. The staff is exceptional. The hotel is beautifully decorated with artistic, yet simple fresh flower arrangements throughout. The rooms are large and clean, with nice robes, slippers and huge bathrooms. We have stayed in the premier/lakeview rooms and the patio suites, and sometimes the showers in the premier rooms get the floor rather wet, but there are always plenty of towels! This doesn't seem to be a design problem in the suite-possibly the shower is larger? The beds are very comfortable with lots of pillows, and the grounds are basically a park, with the heated pool, small lake and trail, outdoor fireplace--all perfect for a relaxing stay. The hotel realy has an atmosphere that encourages relaxation and the spa treatments are nice as well. We have had facials and massages, both enjoyable. The food in the restaurant is excellent...although breakfast service during the holiday times we have stayed, can be a little slow. But, with the gorgeous surroundings and delicious food (try the chicken apple sausage), it is still a lovely experience. The bar is fun and I love the fireplace there. At times, there is a pianist or harpist, again, setting the relaxing tone of the Umstead.

I had my 12 and 14 year old nieces stayed one night with me this last stay. We ate in the bar and the waitress made sure they felt special by discussing their choices, asking them about what they wanted or needed, and giving them lots of attention. We had room service deliver our ice cream, and she could not have been more pleasant. The girls loved it. My husband and I got married near here, and the management of the Umstead allowed us to shoot a couple of photos at the hotel and helped us get a bouquet (my stressed husband forgot it) the morning of our ceremony.

We love this hotel and I can highly recommend it! If you can, upgrade to the patio suite. You have the gardens right outside your door and feel like you are alone. We will continue to stay there each time we visit Raleigh.

Room Tip: The patio suites are on the spa level with the gardens right outside your door. Feels like you have...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GatorKaren
The_Umstead_Hotel, General Manager at The Umstead Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay. We are honored to be your destination during your visits to the Raleigh area for the holiday season. We are delighted to know you enjoyed the amenities and services of the property and appreciate your glowing review.

Again, thank you for your valuable feedback and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Umstead in the near future.

With Best Regards,
Jim Beley

Reviewed December 15, 2011

I stayed at The Umstead for a staff retreat in early December. For some reason, I thought the resort would be out in the middle of nowhere, but it's right off the interstate and very close to the Raleigh airport. The hotel is lovely, both inside and out. Tastefully decorated and relaxing, the common areas were stunning. I liked that the elevators were secure, but I'll admit that it could be a pain at times to fish my room key out in order to press my room floor. The rooms are large, well appointed and full of those little extras that set a good hotel apart from a great one. I especially liked the turndown service, complete with slippers.
The meeting rooms were clean and very functional. The rock shaped chocolates are like crack, though. I probably ate my weight in those things.
Food was excellent. I've attended many meetings and often convention food is dicey. That was not the case here. Lots of variety and all of it was very good.
The best part of the hotel, though, was the staff. Without exception, the staff eagerly and efficiently responded to any request we had. Kudos to everyone who works there. Well done!
I didn't use the spa services, but I heard those were very nice.
Overall, I'd highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for an upscale, relaxing place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 10, 2011

The Umstead is a retreat, tucked off an interstate near SAS in Cary. From the moment you enter the door, you know you're somewhere special. It is a beautiful facility. The rooms make you know that a lot of thought has gone into what a traveller cherishes most. The rooms are magnificent. It is quiet - never heard a sound outside my room during the two nights I was there. There is an art gallery for your perusal and a huge Chihully sculpture in the dining room. Room service 24-hours a day is available and quite tasty. Even the gift shop has beautiful things. Didn't use the spa but someone told me it was fantastic. Service is incredible.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed December 4, 2011

The room was clean and spacious with fantastic shower / bath, etc. Slept really well in the comfortable bed. The pond and outside area with fire is lovely. This is a special place to visit and I would certainly recommend it for a couple as a break away treat.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 16, 2011

I've had the occasional massage here and there, but NOTHING compares to my experience at the Umstead Spa!
I booked a couples massage for myself and my boyfriend a week in advance and we arrived at the separate Spa entrance an hour and a half early for our appointment.
Because the men and women have separate changing rooms and facilities, we parted ways and I was escorted back by a female concierge. Talk about Royal Treatment! I was greeted with some hot tea and asked my foot size for flops while I was escorted to the changing area and given the instructions for my personal locker. After changing into the most comfortable robe I've ever worn, I was shown the showers, cold shower, steam room, sauna and whirlpool to use at my leisure, as well as the bathroom (with any product you could ever need to get ready). I also had the option to relax in the ladies lounge or upstairs in the co-ed lounge.
The massage itself was also GREAT! Such a comfortable room with light music playing.
We will definitely be back!
I recommend this spa for anyone who really wants the royal treatment! Arrive early to enjoy all the added bonuses and start relaxing now! It is definitely worth the money!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
The_Umstead_Hotel, General Manager at The Umstead Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2011

We are delighted that you enjoyed your getaway at The Umstead Spa! Our talented staff works so hard to insure our guests comfort and happiness. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon! In the meantime, thank you for such a lovely review.

Reviewed October 29, 2011

Spent four days on business in a lakeview room with the largest balcony I've ever seen in a hotel room overlooking the beautiful grounds. The rooms are large and well appointed. The bathrooms are the best-- huge tub, separate shower area and water closet, and tons of storage space! Attentive, well trained staff were all great. Only problem in my opinion (and this is a pet peeve of mine) is they need to make the housekeeping staff more unobtrusive. On the day we were leaving, housekeeping rang our bell at 8:30 am. Housekeeping in a five star hotel should be aware of who is checking out that morning and not disturb the guests until after check out time. That said, the turndown service was flawless! When is the last time you were provided with ice and complimentary waters without having to call down for it? This was in addition to being provided with the usual slippers and chocolates, of course....

Room Tip: The lakeview rooms have huge balconiies where you can sit and drink some wine while enjoying the flo...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business