“Luxury comfort, spacious, quiet room”

The Umstead Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Cary
Reviewed June 10, 2011

Beautiful room, view, pool and grounds.

Quiet comfort. Hated to leave.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the gardens and or lake
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed May 30, 2011

I adore the Umstead Spa. Every time I visit I find something new to luxuriate in. The facilities are very very nice and offer everything you want in a spa but the customer service is the real gem. I have never once been disappointed with the staff. They are super attentive and professional. Maria gave me the best deep tissue massage I've ever had. I think it is the best spa experience available in this price range anywhere. Affordable luxury and so worth it.

Room Tip: Look for discounts on mid-week days.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed May 29, 2011

I love The Umstead! I won the two night stay through Our State magazine. The stay included two 50 minute spa treatments, breakfast at Herons restaurant each day and a pairings dinner (wine and five-course meal). We also added a High Tea. Everything was incredible. The room had a balcony with Lake View where we watched a wedding.. The staff always went out of their way to be helpful. If we wondered where something was the staff would escort us there. High Tea was a real value. The cost of $32 per person included tax and tip. It was a three course feast!
Herons restaurant has an open window to the kitchen and looks like Hell's Kitchen without the screaming! The pairing meal was incredible. Every wine and dish was explained to us and the service was amazing. Your bread plate and water glass will never be empty. My wife want to return to Herons every birthday!

The Umstead offers food and drink wherever you choose to sit - at the pool, on the balcony, or in the lounge. The staff is efficient and always helpful. You never see a frown!

This is a real treasure only 15 miles from our home!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2011

This place is a hidden gem right in my backyard and I didn't even know it. I took my Mother as a surprise for Afternoon Tea and got so much more. The personal service started before we even got out of the car and during our time spent having tea. The staff was helpful and so friendly, wanting you to feel at home and comfortable. The quality of not only the staff but the beautiful setting made for a memorable time having tea which was the best I have experienced. I have had afternoon tea in places such as London to Washington DC which were wonderful and I would have to say this by far was one of the best. The attention to the detail of tea courses and tea was perfect down to having real lump sugar which my daughter would rate how authentic a tea room would be. The decor and my favorite is the most beautiful art including a Dale Chihuly piece we sat next to while having our tea. It was wonderful way to treat my Mother coming here and we will be back. If there were more stars, I would rank this way over a 5 star.

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank Dee1349
The_Umstead_Hotel, General Manager at The Umstead Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2011

Thank you for selecting The Umstead Hotel and Spa for Afternoon Tea on your special occasion. I am delighted to hear of your experience and we hope to welcome you back to the property soon.

Best Regards,
Jim Beley

Reviewed May 7, 2011

Wow! If you are looking for a nice hospitable staff do not stay at the Umstead!!! The ONLY good thing about my stay there was the staff in the spa (they were amazing!).
We stayed the night before my friends wedding in the room that her soon to be husband and were to be staying in the night of their wedding. The room was supposed to be cleaned while we were at the spa so that the photographer could take pictures of the bridal party getting ready. When we returned nothing was cleaned and the cots were still in the room. We had to move everything ourselves so that the makeup and hair artist could have room to get us ready. When the Umstead finally did send someone to clean, they never even took the cots. When we complained, lady at the front desk offered to send mimosas up to the room for the inconvinence. 5 minutes later a manager called and asked the bride if everything was ok. She told him it would be fine. An hour later we still didn't have the mimosas and when we asked the manager about it, he said "well I called up and the bride said she was ok"! Really?! So you took that as now we dont have to send her the mimosas??!! He practically had his nose up the whole time he was speaking to me...so rude!!!
When we were ready to go take photographs we looked out the window to see debris flying and realized a funnel cloud was in the area. We were terrified and ran downstairs and none of the staff would even tell us were to find a safe place!! We had children and babies with us!!! When we finally found our way to the ground floor, numerous Umstead staff came and asked us what we were doing there and we finally got asked to leave the area. There were around 60 tornadoes in the RDU area that day!!!
The wedding was amazing but when the bride and groom finally got to their room that night, the cots were still there and the room was a disaster. The bride was in tears...the bed was not even made and food from brunch was still on the tables!
My friend called the Umstead when she got back from her honeymoon and was assured by a very nice manager named Eric that he would pass the message on to the General Manager and PR person and they would call her the next morning. Sadly, no one ever did.
This hotel is supposed to be a five star hotel and but if you really want 5 star service I recommend you stay at the Embassy Suites any day over this place! You will save money and the staff is amazingly helpful and friendly. Shame on you Umstead!!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
8  Thank melody_lasiter

Thank you for your feedback. I regret that you were disappointed with your visit. For your information, the couple that you reference, have been in fact contacted by the hotel and the matter has been resolved to the best of our abilities.

Reviewed April 25, 2011

We were looking for a quick weekend getaway location and limited our search to 4-5 star hotels with spas, reachable by a single plane flight from Columbus, OH. The Umstead met the criteria, but we had no idea what a special place it is. (I'm a little afraid to publish this review - I'd like it to remain a hidden gem ;)

Location - 10 minutes from the Raleigh airport, but you feel like you are in a country oasis. Yes, occasionally you can hear the highway, but the sound is nicely muffled by the fountains in the lake.
Hotel decor - We've stayed in some pretty nice hotels, but this place is simply beautiful, inside and out. The entire main public area, from the front desk through the bar, into Herons and out onto the terrace including the outdoor fireplace, is seemlessly decorated - the furnishing, the gorgeous wood paneling, the artwork - all beautiful and inviting.
Staff - Every single person we dealt with was absolutely top-notch, from the front desk to housekeeping, to the spa, to Herons.
Herons - what an amazing surprise. We expected a good restaurant in a hotel of this calibre, but every meal at Herons was truly memorable. Chef Crawford is a real star - lots of great local, seasonal fruits and vegetables with absolutely highest quality meat and fish. My favorite - the spring chicken soup. And the service was perfect - Lori was knowledgeable and appropriately attentive, without being intrusive.
Spa - Excellent services, very nice facility. It was not that busy when we were there, but I can imagine the whirlpool/steam/sauna area getting crowded.
Honestly, I don't usually gush, but this place truly did blow us away....

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
The_Umstead_Hotel, General Manager at The Umstead Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2011

We are delighted that you enjoyed your recent visit to The Umstead Hotel and Spa and we thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

We look forward to making your next visit with us just as memorable.

Best Regards,
Jim Beley

Reviewed April 17, 2011

First of all the front desk staff couldn't have been less friendly and helpful. What a snooty buch of people. The door men on the other hand were kind. We were staying at the Umstead when we experienced the worst tornadoes Wake County has every witnessed. The staff was clueless. They didn't even know there were watches for the area.When family called us to make sure we were safe and when we saw huge pieces of debris flying from the sky, we went down to find out what we should do. No one seemed to care and everyone was so aloof. We were leaving for a wedding and were treated like we may be fussy children. In the mean time homes, businesses and lives were lost. Hope you don't need a emergency plan if you should stay her or even a smile from the desk people. Someone should tell these people their condescending attitude doesn't equate quality and luxry.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank jeffersonnc
The_Umstead_Hotel, General Manager at The Umstead Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2011

Please accept my sincere apology for the confusion you encountered during your visit. We do have a severe weather plan which was implemented and followed through by our Security Team.

I thank you for bringing this to my attention. If I can assist you with a future visit, please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cary
The Mayton Inn
The Mayton Inn
#7 of 22 in Cary
Embassy Suites by Hilton Raleigh - Durham/Research Triangle
Renaissance Raleigh North Hills Hotel
DoubleTree by Hilton Raleigh - Cary
Hyatt House Raleigh North Hills
Hampton Inn and Suites Raleigh/Cary-I-40 (PNC Arena)

Been to The Umstead Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!