“Not Just A Sushi Restaurant”
Review of Sushi Thai

Sushi Thai
Ranked #20 of 479 Restaurants in Cary
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 23, 2013

First, we had a mixup with the reservations (our error), hostess was very polite and still promptly seated us with a smile. Even if you're not a fan of sushi (which I'm not), there are still many delicious items on the menu. Server was absolutely wonderful in making suggestions and telling us about the fish they use for sushi. My husband and another male friend were impressed. Menu is a great mix of Thai and Japanese. This was our first time here; won't be the last.

1  Thank Bess A

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Excellent sushi and Thai food for a reasonable price. We enjoyed 'by-on-get-one-free" on their sushi rolls. Service is excellent, as well.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

We have been loyal customers at Sushi-Thai in Cary for years going back at least to 2000. They have very good food and though they have at times screwed up our order, we have always gone back. We understand mistakes. It happens! We even liked the wrong food they gave us as it was an opportunity to try something we otherwise would not have ordered. However, we don't understand rudeness or not taking care of good customers. It's on that aspect of the business that our review centers and it's for that reason we don't plan on going back. A brief caveat-- if your group is adults only and you plan on eating in, you shouldn't have any issues and you'll enjoy your visit. But whoa to you with children even though they may be well behaved. Your ilk had better go back to Chuck E. Cheese or prepare to face the Scowl of Sam!!!

1. Restaurant owners who hate customers-with-kids (CWK) shouldn't have high chairs in their restaurants. It is also considered bad form for restaurants to post signs in large print on their cashwrap (this is where the register is) on the appropriate means of raising your kids.

Even before we had kids, we noticed that Sushi-Thai had issues with CWK. Once we had kids, we fully realized the extent of it. Have kids? Like sugar in your coffee? Maybe a little saccharine with your smile? Forget about it. They will clear your table of any and all condiments if you are a CWK. Drop a napkin on the floor? Rice accidentally spilled? Uh-oh. Here comes the Scowl of Sam (he's the owner). He will literally hover around your table grimacing in pain until sufficiently satisfied you got the message.

Did this turn us off or stop us from spending our money here? Nope. We coped and ordered take-out. Which leads us to point #2.

2. Take-out is essential to many businesses. Take-out requires appropriate packaging. The quality of the packaging shouldn't imply that take-out is a hassle and they only do it because its expected, but they really hate doing it. At Sushi-Thai, their packaging also implies that you're a dreaded CWK and they'll show you! Read that last 2 sentences again if you didn't get it the first time; my whole argument hinges on them.

The packaging at Sushi -Thai for most items is extremely poor and very, very , very messy. They take a tin bowl, cover with a plastic top, crimp the edges, and wrap in Saran. In theory, this might work if you never move the food, but the slightest movement causes the enclosed sauces to spill out and get trapped between the layers of plastic wrap. Upon opening, you have a hot, wet, sticky mess everywhere. However, they do have a large plastic bowl they use for their red/green curry chicken that works very well in holding in the juices. These dishes are primarily liquid so something better is needed. I'm almost at point #2; bear with me.

After dealing with Sushi-Thai's take-out issues and even addressing it with them with no resolution, it finally came to a head. Last night (Dec 16, 2012), I ordered 3 dinners and 2 orders of spring rolls. I asked that the orders be placed in their good containers as I didn't want to deal with a mess. I was told that they wouldn't do it. They would cover the dinners in more plastic only. I told her I wasn't going to argue, that she knows who I am, and that I needed the good containers. She said she would have to up charge me. What?! What difference does it make?! There is no appreciable cost difference!! I cancelled the order. I couldn't believe the inflexibility of these people.

The Scowl of Sam and Poor Take-Out Packaging have finally done me in.

4  Thank Epunthesis
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Its always the same, and always good. Lobster rolls are our favorite. Even when they are crowded the food always comes on time and its always delicious. No mattery what type of sushi you like they will do it better here.

1  Thank steve t
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The food seems overpriced for the quantity and quality. The sushi wasn't very well made, but tasted okay. Nothing special about the main entrees and there are other restaurants that have better taste and presentation.

Been to Sushi Thai? Share your experiences!