“American or authentic Chinese: your choice!”
Review of 35 Chinese - CLOSED

35 Chinese
Cuisines: American, Asian, Chinese
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

We visited last evening and liked the fact that we could mix and match American standby's such as Crab Rangoon and house lo mein with Chinese additions such as garlic pork belly. Everything was prepared fresh and tasted great. Service was efficient and friendly. Easy to drive by as its in an office building. Beer and wine license only with limited choices, but that didn't matter to us. Would return!

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I will never be able to go to another "americanized" Chinese restaurant again without being disappointed. A co-worker, who is a Chinese immigrant, recommended 35 Chinese when he knew I was going to be in West Raleigh for a weekend. He also knew I favor Asian and Middle Eastern food over anything else. I had had good Chinese food after spending a week in Toronto's Chinatown several years ago and missed the cuisine when I came back to the states. I can say that I have found it here, in all places, North Carolina. The restaurant is hard to find. It's situated on the back side of a bank building so if your GPS seems to get you lost, go around to the back. I knew this was going to be authentic when I saw 3 van loads full of Chinese students (from NC State) piling out of their vehicles. Apparently they were there for a birthday celebration. The place seats about 200 guests and was packed (Saturday night). I was only one of, maybe, 6-7 non-Asians there. Another good sign, in my opinion. The maitre d' asked me if I wanted the Americanized or Chinese menu. I asked to see both. The Chinese menu has many more selections. My co-worker had recommended that I order from the Chinese menu. I asked the waitress a few questions and she was extremely helpful (also an NC State student). I love spicy, aromatic foods so I ordered the Szechuan fish and two spring rolls (okay shame on me for ordering an appetizer from the Americanized menu). The waitress brought me a delicious chopped salad appetizer (compliments of the house) and the spring rolls. The spring rolls were typical but the chopped salad was delicious and spicy (albeit a little salty). When the dish arrived it was on a HUGE plate. I was not aware that the Chinese menu items all come served "family style". I've gotten so used to ordering "combination" dishes from other Chinese restaurants that I expected some vegetables with my fish. When I asked, the waitress explained that everything was served family style so I asked for her recommendation on a vegetable. She recommended the Bean Leaf. Found out "Bean Leaf" is actually pea greens. And, again, a huge plate full. So with the appetizer, salad, rice, fish and bean leaf I had a feast! The fish was nicely fried and had a wonderful sweet-spicy glaze and lots of Thai chilis garnished all over the plate. The bean leaf was a nice non-spicy side with the greens being freshly sauted in fresh-cut garlic with a touch of butter and seasoned rice vinegar. The Chinese menu items were delicious. I am a big eater but was not able to finish these family style dishes. They made a wonderful lunch the next day.

The service was excellent and fast. The waitress apologized for the food being slow since they had a party of 30+ there for a birthday party (the vanloads of students), but I found the food was served very expeditiously.

So, to those of you who find General Tso's Chicken and fried egg rolls with packaged duck sauce your kind of Chinese then stick with the "express" Chinese and buffet restaurants. However, if you want to expand your culinary repertiore and extend your palative tastebuds, definitely make this your destination and order from the Chinese menu. Make sure you take a date or your family and enjoy 3-4 dishes sharing around the table.

1  Thank JamestownRGW
Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

Great service. Try the crispy duck, Its amazing! They have a turtle pond, I'm sure kids would like that...I know I did! Authentic menu is the way to go, but you really can't go wrong on either menu.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

This was our first visit and we liked it very much. I was told from a coworker that the food was good.
We ordered seafood hot pot and crispy duck from the Chinese menu. We asked the server what the difference was between the American and Chinese menu. American menu would be Americanized Chinese food and the Chinese menu would be prepared with more authentic Chinese flavor and spices. We loved both dishes.

Reviewed May 10, 2012

After some strong recommendations from a couple of friends, we gave this place a try for lunch . I must admit that finding it was quite the mini-adventure.

When the GPS lady said: your destination is on the left, my first thought was - I don't see authentic Szechuan food coming from RCB. So, I continued on aways, and circled back, and looped around, while Sweet Alice suggested I ask for directions. I, of course, refused - if the GPS lady can't find it, why should I believe a complete stranger could help. We called the restaurant, they informed us the RBC was indeed our destination - Alice felt vindicated, while the GPS lady was strangely quiet.

This is a nice place, roomy, with Chinese lanterns that are a bit much. We were initially given the standard Americanized lunch menu, but ask for the authentic menu, which is extensive.
I was going to order the Hot Pot Beef, and said I wanted it spicy - the waiter said if I wanted spicy, I should try the Lamb Cumin, and I did. Really didn't care for it - entirely too much cumin taste - it smothered the lamb completely - and the heat was moderate only.

We also tried the 3 Pepper Chicken, which was hot, really hot. I liked this dish, but I really feel that Super Wok's and Gourmet Kingdom's versions are better - it doesn't have actual peppercorns in it, just sliced peppers.

The Dan Dan Noodles were good, with some nice green onions, but little meat, and almost no heat. I liked the flavor, but again, there is better available in this area, for my taste at least.
We'll definitely give this place another try. The service was excellent, although they placed the first four parties in four consecutive booths, when the entire restaurant was open. The owner came by after we ordered to be sure we really wanted very spicy food - nice touch