“Not worth it”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dayton OH
“Not worth it”
Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

From the mixed reviews of this place, I didn't expect much but thought it would be good enough for dinner during my business trip. It wasn't. Waste of $20. Cheap and nasty food.

1 Thank dayton_dan

new hill nc
“Best Chile Relleno Anywhere!!!”
Reviewed June 5, 2014

I've eaten Chile Rellenos everywhere and in multiple states; even out west where Mexican food is supposed to be great. No one makes a Chile Relleno like Los Tres; it's the best. Their salsa is very good, although very mild, and I like a little "Kick", but I can eat a bowl full of theirs, and they will bring you more. Enchiladas a excellent, too. The staff is superb and friendly, and the service is fast and gracious. Your glass never gets empty, but they don't hover. Can't say enough nice things about Los Tres; it's my Mexican Restaurant of choice, anywhere!

Visited June 2014
Denver, Colorado, United States
“Good service food is aversge”
Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

Stopped by for late lunch and was surprised by the good amount of vegetarian items. The veggie spinach enchilada was good, not great. The chips were probably made on site but were a little heavy. Service was good but it was not very busy.

Emerald Isle, North Carolina
“good service, good food $ atmosphere”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Had a party of 10 for birthday, the staff accommodated us & was very friendly and courteous. Food came in a timely manner & everything was as ordered & was fresh & delicious. Even got a birthday song

Visited March 2014
Cary, North Carolina
“Friendly staff, quick service but food was bland”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We decided to stop by since we'd never tried this chain before. Wish I hadn't but at least I'll never wonder about them again.
We stopped in for lunch on a Sunday spur of the moment since we were nearby for another purpose. The wait staff was attentive and friendly. We ordered and our food arrived quickly.

I had the fish tacos. The fish was thin and over-cooked. Crispy is how I'd describe it (and it wasn't deep-fried crispy, just too long in the skillet crispy). There was some half melted shredded cheese on the pitiful little pieces of fish. The garnishes were nice. Fresh chopped cabbage, diced tomatoes, etc. But nothing to give it flavor given the fish didn't add anything it was so small and cooked too long. I prefer a bit of spice and sweet with my fish tacos. Other places will have a mango or pineapple salsa or chutney along with hot sauce. Not here.

Speaking of hot sauce, the stuff that they put on the table with the tortilla chips looked very similar to and tasted a lot like, canned tomato sauce. There was very little spice at all. Even my wife, who tolerates spicy a lot less than me commented on how the sauce didn't have any spice. It also didn't have any discernable chunks of tomato, onion, pepper or anything else typically found in a good salsa. No cilantro, nothing. The tortillas were ok. Not the best I've had by far, but not too bad although a few were oddly chewy. I think we may have had the bottom of the lot where the grease had set too long and turned some of the normally crispy chips into chewy affairs. I asked for some hot sauce after our food was delivered and it took awhile for the guy to finally come back with a small bowl of hotter sauce. It had a smoky chipotle flavor that I liked, but still not completely what I was looking for. Even a bottle of store bought hot sauce would have improved on their house sauce.

My wife had beef enchiladas. They were a good portion and not really too bad. But this place just didn't cut it for either of us. We won't be back but you'll probably live through the experience if you decide to go.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank nittanydave

Been to Los Tres Magueyes? Share your experiences!