“Great Food Laddie!”

Doherty's Irish Pub & Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 466 Restaurants in Cary
Cuisines: Irish, Bar, Pub, Gastropub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: To Our Patrons,We created this relaxing and fun neighborhood Irish pub in Cary for you as a place to meet to bring your friends and family, meet new friends and get to know our family at Doherty's! Let us know if there is anything we can do to make your time with us more enjoyable! Enjoy your favorite pint from one of the ​19 draughts on tap and some Irish - American fare from our menu prepared daily using only fresh ingredients by Chef Irais and his team. We also have a kid's menu for the little ones!​We are open for lunch, dinner, late night and serve a Sunday brunch. Our pub has 7 HD TV's with multiple sports packages for you and your friends to enjoy your favorite team games! We also have live music 3 nights per week, patio dining, drink specials and free WiFi. The "Whiskey Room" is our private dining room that can be reserved Monday - Thursday by phone. We hope to see you soon!
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great Food Laddie!”
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Started with Brisket Nachos that we highly recommend...then Fish & Chips and Seafood Pasta. Both delicious. Did I forget that we washed everything down with Smithwicks? Quick/Friendly Service. Will definitely be back.

1 Thank Go4theGreen

Cary, NC, United States
“Great neighborhood pub”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

One of our favorites! The food is great and they treat us like family. The manager Sam does everything to make sure you are pleased. The bartender Dexter is genial and efficient. All the waitstaff we have encountered have been great. We eat there quite often and are always pleased. The fish and chips is the best I've ever had. Also love the Shepherd's pie and the reuben, and the soda bread -- and the cold draft beer. Can't stop recommending the place!

• Visited April 2014
Cary, North Carolina
“Great Food - Great Staff”
Reviewed April 1, 2014

This is a fun place to visit - very convenient to my home and shopping. I come here often and have always had an excellent meal and excellent service. Their staff are very friendly and capable and their food is far above the normal tavern variety. In addition, they usually have a great band playing every Saturday night. I highly recommend Doherty's.

Cary, North Carolina
“Bad Food -- Bad Service - Don't Waste Your Time”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

After hearing and reading rave reviews about Doherty's, we decided to try it today (3/30/14). Sunday brunch was still available when we arrived (close to 1 PM).

It was not that crowded, but it took our waitress more than 5 minutes to come to the table to take our drink order. We each ordered a beer and waited. We were given lunch/brunch menus that offered a much smaller choice than the menu we had downloaded from their web site. The beers finally arrived and we placed our order. My husband ordered The Doherty Melt from the lunch menu only to be told that there was none available and would only be available at dinner. Very disappointed, he ordered a brunch special of steak and eggs. He ordered the steak cooked rare. I ordered the Braised Brisket Melt. We waited, and waited, and waited. I asked the waitress if our food would be out soon and she said she thought so. After waiting 45 minutes, our food finally arrived and all of it was cold. My husband's steak was cremated. The brisket sandwich bore no resemblance to brisket, more like dried out, tasteless shredded pot roast.

Evidently the cooked food had been sitting out all that time. When I asked the waitress earlier when we could expect our food, she should have checked on it then. The brisket would still have been dry and tasteless, the steak would still have been cooked incorrectly, but it would have left a better impression than having to wait 45 minutes for bad, cold food.

I asked to see the manager who wanted to cook us new meals. I told him we were hungry, done waiting, and just wanted to settle up for the beer and go somewhere else to eat. He was very adamant that he could have the food out quickly (why couldn't the food have come out quickly the first time?) I refused and he kept insisting. He said they got "a little backed up - things happen." He kept insisting and I kept refusing. Finally we got up to leave and he reminded us that they are the #1 restaurant in Cary. All I could think of was "not for long." He did give us cards for free meals, but we will never go back there, nor would we recommend it to others. Wonder how many of those "free meal" cards he has given out for bad food and poor service. Many other Cary restaurants are more deserving of the #1 spot.

Big disappointment.

5 Thank olfolks
Sami T, Owner at Doherty's Irish Pub & Restaurant, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
At Doherty's we pride ourselves in our great service & consistently high food quality. On occasion we do fall short and make mistakes. Feedback is always welcomed by myself and my staff and we use these opportunities to learn from and get better. As I was when I spoke to you during your visit, I am still very sorry for the bad experience you had. We work very hard to make Doherty's a great restaurant and hope that you will use those meal cards I gave you to come back and give us another shot on me so we can show you why Doherty's is great. Again, on behalf of my team & I at Doherty's we sincerely apologize and hope to see you again!
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Authentic Irish Meal with great service, setting and price”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Like so many other reviewers here, I had to try the #1 place in Cary on TripAdvisor. I think they deserve it.

Even though we came on a Sunday during brunch, I wanted to try an appetizer, so we went with the Irish Egg Rolls, at the suggestion of our waiter. Oh wow! They were amazing. Simple yet delicious. We each ate one so we could save room for the main entree.

My hubby ordered the Eggs Kilkenny ($9.95, White cheddar and scallion potato cakes topped with rashers and three poached eggs. Drizzled with hollandaise and served with fresh fruit.) and he liked it. It was obviously an Irish take on the traditional Egg's Benedict. The potato cake under neath was Ok, but lacked a whole lot of flavor. I think it just needed more salt.

I ordered the Traditional Irish Breakfast ($11.95, The real deal. Bangers, rashers, eggs, sauteed mushrooms, grilled tomato, potato hash, brown bread & Irish baked beans.) and asked her to just bring the to=go box at the beginning of the meal. It was lots of food! I loved the brown bread - it tasted very similar to the brown bread I had when growing up.

I loved the menu options, the Irish setting, the authentic Irish food items (bangers and rashers), etc. They have music during the weekend, brunch on Sunday, specials during the week.

While we were eating an employee stopped by to see how things were going. I took him for the chef, but he was actually one of the owners. Very personable. And so nice to have the owner come by to check on things. Of course, we had no complaints.

On the way out I spoke with him again, and found out the bangers they serve are made from a NC butcher. It took the owners about a dozen different places from around the state before they settled on this one. Yummy.

On the negative our server was good, but seemed hurried and not as friendly as she could have been. Also, and being very picky here, but she brought us three small to-do boxes, which is fine, but no bag to carry them in. Again, nothing major, but attention to these small details is what kept me from giving them a 5 in service.

I only gave the outdoor seating a 5 because, there is outdoor seating, but nothing to write home about. They could spruce it up a bit with a few tall trees, some planters and possibly a water fountain.

We will definitely be back. I want to try their most popular dish, Fish and Chips, as well as the Brisket Nachos and the crock of onion soup. Their menu is extensive with plenty of unique and tasty options for everyone. Go try it! You will want to go back!

2 Thank kimmisk