“Reliably great food and service”
Review of KoMo KoMo - CLOSED

KoMo KoMo
Cuisines: American, French, Korean
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We are proud to bring our seasonal menu! BEST soups in Triangle!Signature dishes are Korean Rice Bowl, Ginger lemon grass Creme Brule which is very French.. No one can resist.Chef Jae and his wife, El, are very enthusiastic to bring "Not a typical fine dining". Everyone is welcome to enjoy our excellent food and service in a very cozy dining room. Wednesday Tea service is very exclusive. Reservation for weekends are appreciated.
Cary, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Reliably great food and service”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

It's hard to find high quality food in Cary with the focus on chain family restaurants. I discovered Komo Komo soon after they opened. I have been a regular ever since. Chef Jae has a great pedigree- his food is unique, complex, and innovative. El and staff have always been attentive and polite. The atmosphere is cozy and intimate. I take great pleasure in introducing friends and business associates to this little gem of a restaurant. Keep up the good work.

1 Thank Mf-ewga

Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
“Lost in the translation”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

They clearly do NOT know how to run a restaurant. We made reservations for Valentine's Day as that is my daughter's birthday and she turned 21 that day. We knew there was a Prix Fixe Menu available but didn't think that was the onlly menu that was going to be available as this was not stated on their website and they didn't tell us this when we made the reservation. Strangely they called us the day of the reservation to ask if we were still planning on coming. I thought this might have been because of recent bad weather. In any case, we arrived gave our name and got a seat although I never saw them looking at any reservation list. Once seated we were given menus. We were give full menus with a one sheet insert with the Valentine's Prix Fixe information inside. This would lead one to believe the entire menu was available or otherwise why give it to you? This is a small place but there was only one waitress for the entire restaurant. There were two other people but it appears there only function was to clear tables, fill water glasses and open the door for guest who were leaving. It took awhile but the waitress finally came and took out drink order. She apologized. We got white wine because we were thinking we would order something that would go with that type of wine. Another long period of time went by. Other people came in who had reservations and they had to wait because their tables were not ready. From what I could tell the people in the table behind us were politely told they needed to leave as someone was waiting for their table. We got no bread just our wine as we sat and waited some more. Finally the waitress who did not speak English very welll came to take our order. She then informed us that they only had a limited menu which consisted of the Prix Fixe menu at $59 a person and a very limited ala carte menu. I didn't want either of the ala carte entreess - one was a flank steak and the was either a tofu or beef rice bowl and I would have got up and left at this point but it was my daughter's birthday and I didn't want to upseet her.
I already had a glass of wine that wouldn't go with either of the entrees. My husband I I ordered the Rice Bowl w/beef and my daughter, who is a vegetarian, ordered the Rice bowl with tofu. We shared an Shrimp appetizer. The appetizer came out in a reasonable time and was pretty good but one of the "table clearer's" swooped in and took the plate away from us before we had finished and even before I had time to protest. Were they short or dishes? Then we had to wait a really long time for the rice bowls. The waitress came over and told us she was sorry for the wait and that they had "put a fire under the chef". I guess that meant they told him to hurry up. When we finally got our rice bowls we were told they had run out of tofu so I'm not sure what was in my daughters rice bowl. We still didn't get any bread. The rice bowls were bland an unexceptional.
For $14 per bowl they were overpiced. We could only eat so much and asked for leftovers to be boxed. The bowls were hot. Instead of boxing the dishes themselves as you would expect in an expensive restaurant they simply handed us boxes and we did this ourselves from the hot bowlss. No bread was ever brought to our table. We shared a dessert of chocolate creme brulee which was good. They kept opening the front door for people leaving and keeping it open even though a very cold breeze was coming through the door. The creme brulee was small but good.
The bottom line - maybe the chef is good but I don't care if Julia Child is cooking if you don't know how to treat customers they won't be back. A disastorous evening with a lot of apologies from the waitress that didn't make up for a bad time. Don't bother.

1 Thank Terri M
Raleigh, NC
“Food still outstanding, a couple of small disappointments”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

This was our third time dining at Komo Komo, a small but excellent Korean-French fusion restaurant in a shopping center in Cary. We made reservations for Valentine's Day a month ago and arrived on time. However, there was a set menu of two appetizers (shrimp with spring peas, asparagus, and pickled cucumber, and then slow cooked brisket with noodle, ginger soy broth, wood ear mushroom, and pickled pineapple), followed by a choice of flat iron steak or Korean stone rice bowl, and a shared dessert, for $59 per person without wine. An a la carte menu was available but it included only these choices for diners who didn't want two appetizers or a dessert. We heard some disappointment around us about the lack of other choices because many of the items on the regular menu are so good. The service was excellent and the food was, as usual, very good, though the appetizers were not among the best choices for the price (I couldn't find the asparagus in my shrimp appetizer and it looked like it had been prepared earlier in the day, and the brisket was more of a soup than an appetizer). We both had the flat iron steak and it was cooked to perfection, accompanied by brussel sprouts and tiny potatoes, and a terrific reduction. The wine pours were a little skimpy, however, for the price, and varied according to the waitress (other tables had larger pours). The cost of the fixed-price menu seemed a bit steep. Considering that it was a special day, it would have been better for the full menu to be available; however, perhaps the restaurant anticipated such heavy activity that they needed to focus on a few dishes. We will go back, but probably not again for a "special" menu.

1 Thank DoctorCompRhet
Elryoo, Owner at KoMo KoMo, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Thanks for coming on Valentine's dinner!
Chef Jae and I appreciate your kind reviews on trip Advisor again. We were so glad that we could serve you here on your special day.
We were exceptionally busy on that night considering the size of our kitchen and staff.
I felt sorry that we had somewhat inevitable mistakes and obstacles that we always are dealing with for limited available resources. Please do understand this and think of that we tried to do our best to make sure everyone's Valentine's day memorable and special.
Making progress in serving with good food and service is an the first goal for us, Jae and me, this year! Thanks again!
Santa Cruz, California
“Terrific Korean-French fusion in Cary!”
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

Great Korean-French fusion restaurant in Cary! Savory appetizers definitely worth checking out include their signature sweet potato-leek soup, chicken dumplings, and lettuce wraps - and beef bulgogi bibimbop (entree) is fantastic! Small but decent beer and wine list; creme brûlée is quite good. Informal but intimate setting with very friendly and knowledgeable staff - worth going out of your way for dinner here!

Visited December 2013
1 Thank brocdog
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Unique restaurant, wonderful service”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Great fusion of French/Korean. Best BiBimBop in town, hands down. Chef Jae is lovely, talented, and warm. We always go here for special dinners or those days where we are like 'we need to do something nice'. It is a best kept secret of Cary and I hope more go so she stays in business. The desserts are outstanding. The soups.. mmmmmm.

Visited October 2013