“Lovely hotel; Helpful staff”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Raleigh - Cary
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Cary
Reviewed July 8, 2008

This hotel was centrally located and provided basic amenities. I was skeptical when I read the reviews but I was pleased!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Kimme2525

Reviewed May 20, 2008

I found this hotel because it is close to where my parents live. They just moved to Cary from Chicago and I am visiting them for the first time. We LOVED staying at this hotel. It is not what you would think of when you think about Holiday Inn. It has an indoor pool which was great for my 6 year old daughter. It also had a restaurant on site that served a very nice hot breakfast buffet. We went back for second and third helpings. They also have room service which was really nice for us one night when my husband was not feeling well. They delivered a salad and a sandwich to our room which allowed him to rest. In addition, the room we were in had a microwave and a fridge so we could go to the store and stock up on bottled water and snacks. The staff was great when we checked in and was very helpful when we asked for directions or restaurant suggestions.
Check it out...it is close to EVERYTHING!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank BlueJay86
Reviewed May 7, 2008

I had difficulty finding the hotel even with internet directions. I finally stopped at a fire station to get good directions.
PROS: Very, very clean. Every time I passed through the common areas, I found a staff member cleaning...windows, doors, woodwork...even stairway steps. The room, although small, also was clean and comfortable. Within a mile or so, one wil find just about any shopping, dining experience that can be wished for
CONS: As stated in previous reviews....the walls are VERY THIN. First night - room full of kids next door climbing the walls until 2:00 A.M. Second night - room full of partying adults next door. Third night - finally ti's quiet. From my experience and other posts, I wonder if this is not really a "party hotel" on the weekends. Water in the shower was luke-warm at best. Be aware that there is major construction going on next door.
Would I return to this hotel?......probably not!

Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank TravelerFL
Reviewed April 18, 2008

Nice hotel. Location is awesome, lobby area is clean and welcoming. Appears to be a newer hotel. I was assigned a room on the fourth floor. The hallway leading to my room did have a bit of a musty smokey smell to it but it wasn't horribly strong. The room itself was very large. The setup was long and thin which kind of detracted from the feeling of spaciousness. The room itself had no odor to it and was a suite with a living room area with a couch, table and tv, a hallway which had a sink, fridge and microwave and then a decent size bedroom area complete with a seperating door. The room was very clean and the bed and bedding was high quality. The bathroom was decent but the countertops and shower area were definately low budget. Hot water was plentiful and the water pressure was good. The pool was operational but the hottub was drained and out of service for the duration of my stay. The high speed internet was wireless, very fast and reliable. Overall a nice property that i would choose again and recommend.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank michtraveler1969
Reviewed September 21, 2007

This was our first visit to Cary N.C. We spent 10 nights at the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, from 27th of Aug until 6th Sept 07, I read the reviews on Tripadvisor before we booked. We were very impressed. Great size rooms, very clean, good food especially the breakfast. and especially the staff who were very kind and helpful to us. Good location for UK visitors especially if like me you do not want to drive. stateside. Local bus stop outside the hotel will take you to the main shopping centre. Some good eating places within 10 to 15 minutes walking distance. Will visit again next time we are in N.C.

Stayed: August 2007
4  Thank Willie O
Reviewed September 11, 2007

Wife and her friend stayed there for a weekend. They were pleased with both room and service. They plan to stay there again for upcoming trips.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank SC_Sam
Reviewed September 1, 2007

Stayed for three days while visiting relatives and would probably not return. On the positive side, the room was large and comfortable and clean.
On arrival, the odor in the lobby was an assault on the senses. The swimming pool and hot tub were being painted with a very toxic smelling paint and the contractor was blowing the fumes into the hotel with a fan (instead of trying to blow them outside.) We were planning on using the pool during our stay and at no time were we warned that those facilities would be closed. The Fitness Room was adjacent to the pool, so it too was basically unuseable. If this wasn't enough, an Orkin contractor was spraying the lobby, for who knows what, on our arrival.
Just when you're getting that uneasy "feeling" that things are about to get worse, a group of about 50 two-night-stay wedding attendees took over the hotel and made it virtually impossible to sleep until 4 am.
We made a complaint about the noise with the front desk, and were told that others had also complained....but there was nothing they could do about the room next to ours because "every time we call their room, they hang-up on us."
Eventually, we offered the front desk the choice of us leaving the hotel and a refund of balance....or transfer to another room. We were given another room.
Lastly, three minor issues. We requested a non-smoking room and the room reeked of smoke. That and cigarette burns all over the vanity tell me that the room is available to smokers and non-smokers. The air conditioning units are quite noisey and although insignificant, compared to our other complaints...we really could have used a luggage cart to get our stuff to our room. This 120-room facility had a grand total of one luggage cart.

Stayed: August 2007