“Tired facility, but at this price, it's okay.”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Raleigh - Durham/Research Triangle
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Cary
Reviewed November 24, 2010

Stayed here for two nights in a two-double bed suite, as they had no king suites left.

The hotel is located off the highway, near a couple of strip malls, but there are gorgeous oaks all around, so it's actually a nice location despite being in the middle of nowhere. Conveniently near the RDU airport, it's a quick hop down the highway from Raleigh proper.

Check in was swift, and the lobby impressive. It's a soaring 9 story atrium, so fairly awe-inspiring given the plain exterior of the hotel. All rooms are off the hallways that wrap around the open atrium space -- it's like indoor motel doors.

My room itself was ho-hum. TVs were old 21" CRTs, but I suspect they're being swapped out as crews seemed to be doing this as I left the hotel. The furnishings in the rooms are fairly outdated in style, but comfortable, and not in bad repair given their age. The carpet in my room was stained -- I'm hoping someone dropped a bowl of soup, because the other explanations for that kind of stain are gross!

Bathroom was plain but clean and bright. Definitely worn though -- tub surround had grimy seams, and floor tiles were chipped and nicked all over the place. The bathroom door is inconveniently hung to make it hard to close or open without dancing around to straddle the toilet.

Beds are comfy, though linens were so bleached/starched that my skin was itchy the second I layed down. The room was quiet, and sleep was uninterrupted -- though the noise in the hallways due to the open atrium (bar patrons on the lobby level were having a great time) was high, it didn't carry much into the room, and certainly not back to the bedroom. Yay for suites!

Complaints, aside from worn out furnishings and floors? The ventilation system was so loud I was constantly annoyed. Usually I welcome the white noise of a fan, but this sounded like it was on super-high when it was in fact just on low. Because it's in the hallway space between living room and bedroom, it bugged me no matter where I was in the suite. I was also annoyed with the lighting -- all the lamps were positioned so I had big dark spaces to contend with in places throughout the suite. Some lamps had dim bulbs, other obnoxiously bright fluorescent ones...it just became tedious to get the lighting right. A small thing, but something I don't want to have to work on in a hotel room!

Internet was good, and at $10 per day, not too bad -- though I find the practice of charging extra for this to be dumb in any hotel. The kitchenette was nice to have, as it provided a sink, microwave and mini-fridge. Staff were friendly, though sparse. Free parking is a great feature, and with the ample lots, never an issue to find a spot. The free breakfast of Embassy Suites locations continues to please me in terms of value, though this location certainly didn't have the attention to detail or care in preparation of others I've eaten at.

Overall, a cheap option with a bit of space to spread out in -- just not the epitome of niceness. Needs an update to become a truly great location.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,007)

Reviewed November 8, 2010

I recently traveled to North Carolina for a business trip. I stayed at the Embassy Suites in Raleigh-Durham. Overall the hotel was really nice. My room was clean and everything worked great. One of the lamps was a little broken, but it still worked. The complimentary breakfast in the morning was good, though I did feel that they had less choices than some of the other Embassy Suites I have stayed at. Since I was there for a conference for work, they also provided our lunch eat day which was very tasty. In addition to the complimentary breakfast, they provided a free happy hour each night which was enjoyable. Overall it was a great hotel and I would recommend staying there.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank saksheppard
Reviewed October 12, 2010

We went to Cary for the weekend and stayed in the Embassy Suites and had a wonderful time. The hotel rooms are HUGE - and perfect for people with young children (we have 3 - and we all fit perfectly in the rooms!). The breakfast is beyond amazing, with plenty to choose from (even my egg white preference) and the children had huge waffles and cereal. We swam in the indoor pool (which is heated) in the morning, enjoyed their happy hour in the afternoon, and watched the large fish inside (which was very entertaining). I would go back to this hotel anytime I go to Cary!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank jpmcc1
Reviewed June 24, 2010

With all of the new properties in this triangle area, you would think that this property would try to keep up. However, this is not the case - the rooms are vintage early 1990's and smelled abit "wet". The reason I'm not rating this a 2 star is the service more than makes up for the age of the property. The staff in the breakfast area are efficient and pleasant. Check in was a snap, they have a free shuttle to/from the RDU airport. This is not a corporate property so perhaps that is the reason for the delay in Hilton 4-star quality sheets, room features, etc. With the other newer choices within a few miles of the airport, I would stay somewhere else (for this trip, the meeting was in the hotel).

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank rggsquared
Reviewed June 22, 2010

This is probably the 5th time we've stayed in this hotel on the way to the ocean. The separate bedroom is perfect for traveling with kids because you can put them to bed without having to go to sleep at 8:30. This is the first time we got there in time for the manager's reception in the evening. They told us about it at the front desk upon check-in, and we enjoyed soda and drinks after a long day of driving. The room service was reasonably priced for room service, but more than I would have paid for the food somewhere else. Breakfast was amazing for a free breakfast, and in fact I would have gladly paid if it was required. The downside of the Embassy Suites in general is having to pay for internet. However, there was a code inside the key card folder that allowed us to access it for free. I don't know if that was a part of hhonors or not, but we happily used it. Another great stay at this hotel for us. We will be back.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank flightlessbirds
Reviewed June 8, 2010

In preparation for a busy hectic day, which included a long drive I wanted to go to bed at 9:30. By 10:30 the air conditioner was so loud and rumbling I couldn't sleep. I called and asked if their was another room available. Dan said they were completely full, but offered to send an engineer up. He came said I'd have to run it on low , but he thought it would work , he'd have to replace the motor in the morning. Just before 1am I was awaken, perspiring because the the air conditioner was putting out hot air. I called and Dan said all he could tell me was to open a window. I told him I expected some compensation for this horrible experience, he said he would write in in his report.
At check out nothing was said so I asked Robert. He looked it up and said he would take care of placing my reward stay back in my account. ( I am a Hilton Diamond member) I waited a week , nothing happened, I called and spoke with Chris , the manager he said he would take care of it that day, I waited another week nothing . I finally called Hilton Corp. , they will take care of me. However, this hotel needs to better maintain its equipment and they should have been far more hospitable since I was only able to sleep about 90 min. the entire night Awful experience. I am accustomed to far better service from Hilton properties.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank TEF2005
Reviewed January 11, 2010

What an incredible hotel! I was up in Raleigh for a conference and stayed overnight. The Embassy Suites is a modern, classy, and immaculately clean hotel in a convenient area. I particularly enjoyed the Manager's Reception with free cocktails after a long day on the road. The room was large, comfortable, and spotless. The business center and exercise room were also very welcome. Service could not have been more friendly or professional. Thanks so much to Mr. Soren at the front desk for going above and beyond to make sure my stay was comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business