“Excellent hotel, picky customer”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Raleigh - Durham/Research Triangle
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Cary
Reviewed February 27, 2014

I am picky about where I stay. I stayed here with my sis and my baby while I attended a conference on site. Easy to find and right off I-40. I will say upfront that it's obvious the hotel is just a little bit dated, maybe renovated in the late 90s? (ex., furniture, ceilings) and the beds could use bigger pillows, firmer beds. But it has been very well kept and is beautiful. It smells fresh, is well lit and quiet. Plenty of space in the rooms. The breakfast is free and was delicious. There was also a lunchtime buffet that was very reasonably priced ($9 approx) and the food was excellent (seafood, pasta, chicken, dessert, salad and more). The restaurant entrees are a bit pricey, but also tasty. Evening social offered free drinks and snacks (pretzels, etc.) The only other complaint I had was in re: to the little convenience store on-site. The clerk there told my sister she was not allowed to come into the store with my baby buggy (she sat for me during the day). She asked was the policy written anywhere and he said no and pretty much blew her off. He was equally rude to me. I had to wonder was he stereotyping since we are black. It's possible he was just suspicious toward any and everybody...that said, the store is smaller than the hotel rooms and he had visibility at any point in the store. Just a turnoff. At any rate, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
EmbassyCary, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Raleigh - Durham/Research Triangle, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2014

Stephanie W Thank you for staying with us with your family. I heard about the gift shop incident with your sister and spoke with our gift shop operator about it. He is also sorry that he offeneded you. It was a good coaching opportunity for him. Thank you for you many nice comments on the hotel. You are right that our decor is a bit dated but we work all the harder at friendly service, clean clean clean rooms and well maintained facility.
I hope to see you on your next visit to our area.
Russ Smith

There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton Raleigh - Durham/Research Triangle

Reviewed February 27, 2014

I was pleased with my stay here. Check in was smooth. I was upgraded to a corner suite on a high floor (just as my Diamond preferences requested). When I opened the door, all the drawers were open, doors to closet open, pillows off the couches. It looked very clean, just very odd. So, I closed the drawers, and proceeded to get settled in. While sitting at the desk, a member of housekeeping walked into the room...correct...walked in! We surprised each other. She said no one was supposed to be in the room but I showed her my key. We ended up having a great laugh about it since, as she said, "good thing you were just working at the table!" Umm...yeah! It really was no big deal - simple mix-up. I guess they were trying to get me to the suite so quick they hadn't done the final check.

Workout room was awesome! Several treadmills, free weights...regret I didn't take pics. The pool had a jacuzzi and steam room, but when I started the jacuzzi I could tell the jets didn't have much power. It looked very old. It needs updating/repairing because it's basically like just sitting in a hot bath...which is not what I need for my muscles.

Steam room looked fine.

As with all Embassy Suites, full, cooked to order breakfast was available and I made full use. GREAT start to my day.

Grounds were great. The hotel is just a skip from the airport and right off the main freeway, so it's easy to get to everything.

Overall - excellent for both business and families...it just needs a little updating.

Room Tip: Get a high floor, away from the elevators...corner rooms are HUGE
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Deaer WindyCityFinest: Thank you for staying with us and for your very nice comments. I'm sorry that we checked you into a suite that had not had it's final inspection. We ask our suite attendants to leave the suite as you found it so that the inspectress can move through the suite quickly and thoroughly. I'm glad that her intrusion was no worse than it was. I'm glad that you enjoyed our hotel and the brand, Embassy Suites. I hope to see you on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

The thing I like most about Embassy Suites is the consistency across the entire hotel chain. This consistency has been the same for many years. Whether I am traveling for business or pleasure the experience is always the same. The hotel guest services personnel is always polite and friendly. I like the fact for the most part the front desk is always well staffed.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Dear Yvette R Thank you for staying with us and for your very nice comments on our hotel and our brand, Embassy Suites. Embassy Suites is known for its friendly fun and un-stuffy service. I am glad that your stay worked out so well.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

On a conference stay, I found the hotel able to handle all needs. The friendliness of the staff was exceptional and having breakfast in the open space looking into water where koi were playing was memorable.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
EmbassyCary, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Raleigh - Durham/Research Triangle, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Dear Tom M: Thank you and your group for choosing our hotel for your conference. I am delighted that you enjoyed the stay. Our Koi Fish pond is a favorite feature for many of our guests. It is relaxing and beautiful just to watch them. I hope to see you on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Slow checkin, unattentive staff, poor quality food in restaurant and room service, tired rooms in need of renovations. I am surprised at some of the other reviews, maybe they are not well traveled guests or they are accustomed to a red roof inn or econo lodge. Overall not a good stay!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Dear AlissaD: Thank you for staying with us recently. We are not the newest hotel in the market. We strive to overcome that disadvantage with friendly service and a well maintained very clean hotel. I am sorry that we disappointed you on this stay. I will use your comments to help improve our service delivery.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Tired and exhausted from driving in wintery conditions. Embassy suites had a room for me in my time of need. What a great place. Love it! The staff went out of their way to accommodate me. Due to the snow and freezing conditions, this may have saved my life, literally.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
EmbassyCary, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Raleigh - Durham/Research Triangle, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Dear Gregory K. Your travels that day sound horrific. I can only imagine how the driving must have been. The local news was full of horror stories. Many were so extreme that they were picked up by national and international media. The snow was predicted but it came with much more suddenness than anyone expected. I am delighted that we had a room for you and that we were able to get you off of the road. In situations like this we will find some way to make travelers safe no matter what. I am very proud of our heroic and resolute service team. I hope to see you on your next trip to the area on a sunny day.

Travel Safe

Reviewed February 17, 2014

I stayed at this hotel during a winter snowstorm. The staff was caught off-guard by the sudden influx of stranded guests. They handled it extremely well. Every staff member I encountered was helpful courteous and very pleasant to deal with. I know they were snowed in themselves and had to work two back-to-back, very long shifts. But, everyone remained pleasant and focused on serving customers. Congratulations and thanks to all. I will definitely continue to recommend and support Embassy Suites hotels in the future.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Dear Bill M, Thank you for finding us in the snow storm and for being a Senior Reviewer with TripAdvisor. I am very proud of the heroic, calm and friendly service that our limited sized service team provided during this storm. Although, the snow was predicted the suddenness of the downfall and accompanying suddenness of our guest arrival was not predicted. It is situations like this that bring out the heroic nature of many of our service team members. I have used your comments to thank many of them individually. Thank you for sharing your impressions with me.
I hope to see you on your next visit to the area under more pleasant weather conditions.

Russ Smith

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cary
The Umstead Hotel and Spa
DoubleTree by Hilton Raleigh - Cary
The Mayton Inn
The Mayton Inn
#6 of 22 in Cary
Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh-Cary
Hampton Inn and Suites Raleigh/Cary-I-40 (PNC Arena)
Embassy Suites by Hilton Raleigh - Crabtree

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Raleigh - Durham/Research Triangle? Share your experiences!