“Needs to polish up on basic customer service”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Raleigh - Durham/Research Triangle
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Cary
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Front desk agents not really friendly. They seem to be troubled by questions from guest. Decent sized rooms and 4 stars on the breakfast. Good location. Shuttle service is not defined on the website very well. Most hotels go within a five mile radious, is one only goes to the airport.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
EmbassyCary, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Raleigh - Durham/Research Triangle, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear JeepJeep33: Thank you for staying with us. I am sorry that we did not provide transportation service as you requested. The hotel does provide van service within a five mile radius of the hotel upon availability. Our principal transportation responsibility is the airport as guest count on us to get them to their flight on time. There are a nice selection of restaurants within easy walking distance. There is no excuse for not being more helpful. I will use your comments as a coaching opportunity for out Front Desk team.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Room smelled like a locker room; hotel never fixed the problem. They save money by having the cleaning staff turn off the AC daily, this made the smell worse. Everything else was good. I will not stay at this hotel again.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Dear Mr. Christopherw S: Thank you for staying with us. I am sorry that the AC was turned down prior to your check in and during stay over service. Our instructions to housekeeping is to set the AC at 72 with a medium fan and to leave the guest's settings in place on a stayover service. I will re-state those expectations with our Housekeeping team. Thank you for your visit and comments.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

For the reputation and price this hotel should have been excellent, but the bathroom was moldy as the fan didn't work and you had to stand in water when the shower was running. In addition the strength of wireless connection was woefully inadequate and disconnected or was so slow as to be pointless.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Gary M

Dear Gary M: Thank you for staying with us. I am sorry that your room was disappointing. We detail our rooms three times a year. I'm sorry that yours was in poor condition. We are currently in our annual process to clear all guest bathroom drains. I hope that the rest of your visit went well.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The hotel was exactly what you'd expect from an Embassy Suites, given how cookie-cutter they are. No complaints there although nothing exciting either. We were the only ones in the restaurant - I had a basic chicken caesar salad which was OK, although their homemade caesar dressing was thin and uninspiring. What really got me though was the darn hotel shuttle from the airport. I called at 6:50pm as I walked out of the gate - I was assured a shuttle would be departing at 7pm. The shuttle did not show up until 7:25pm, then we "had" to wait another 20 minutes for one more passenger - more than enough time to go to the hotel and back. So a 5 minute ride took an hour. As you can imagine, I arrived not in the best of moods and that did color my entire experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear wiltshs: Thank you for staying with and posting your comments. I am very sorry for the delay in airport service. As you saw, the hotel is only ten minutes from the airport. Our record for speedy transportation service is usually much better. I hope the rest of your visit went well.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights during a USA Baseball event. We've done a TON of travelling this summer, so we have a lot to compare to. The hotel is older, but well kept. The rooms have a living area, fold out sofa and table. The furniture in the living area needs updating, but the bed room, sheets and pillows were new and in great shape.

We took advantage of the daily happy hours from 5:30-7:30 (yes, free drinks and snacks!) and the buffet breakfast with omelette station. The breakfast blows away any other hotel's breakfast (and it's included, too!!) All the eggs, bacon, grits, oatmeal, toast, fruit, coffee etc you can handle. Also, for those of you who are travelling for sports, there are free washers and dryers, though you may have to wait if there are other teams staying in the hotel. The hotel also has a decent (but small) gym, a pool, basketball and tennis courts.

The hotel location is very good. There are a lot of dining options in the immediate area. For those who enjoy getting outdoors, the entrance to the Umstead State Park is a couple of hundred yards away. I took advantage of that and while on one of the trails came within 30 yards of a deer...very cool. Overall, I strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 7,691

Dear 7691: Thank you for staying with us and for being a USA Baseball family. I am delighted that the suites and complimentary breakfast and evening reception were a great value for you. I hope to see you on your next visit to the area and good luck to your young USA Baseball player.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

My husband, son and I traveled to Cary last weekend for a youth sporting event and spent three nights at this property. Arriving around 7 pm, the woman at the front desk encouraged us to check out the reception, held nightly from 5:30 to 7:30. In fact, we did not miss one evening of enjoying wine and cheese, or beer and chips, raw veggies and hummus with a gin and tonic. Such a treat to unwind in their lovely atrium after a day in the sun, but before we went to dinner. The rooms were spacious, and my husband and I were able to spread out in the living area to work while our son slept a bit later. Breakfast far exceeded our expectations, with made-to-order omelettes and other hot items, a good spread of fruit and bread items. They even opened a bit earlier than usual on Saturday because all the players staying at the hotel had to get to the field by 7 am that day. My husband and I both used the gym, which was small but had a treadmill (for me) and dumbbells up to 50 pounds (which was fine for a couple days). The laundry facilities are free, but there are only two sets of washers/dryers, so I spent some time chatting with others who were in line. (I suggest you bring your own laundry detergent, but if you forget, the Gift Shop sells little single-use bags of powder detergent and a fabric softener dryer sheet for under $3.) We were very pleased with our stay, and wish all hotels treated their guests with this kind of class and respect.

Room Tip: The 8th Floor is the Premium floor -- very nice if you are HH members, like we are.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank AZSportyMom
EmbassyCary, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Raleigh - Durham/Research Triangle, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Dear AZSportyMom: Thank you for staying with us and for your very enthusiastic comments on the hotel. I am delighted that our suites, complimentary cooked to order breakfast and complimentary evening reception were just the amenities that made you stay so enjoyable. We understand how important getting out the door in the morning on a good footing is to sports groups. We work with the group planner to be sure we meet your needs and expectations. If opening breakfast early is what it takes, we are glad to do it.
I hope to see you on your next visit to our area.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

The hotel rooms are very cozy and well maintained. The best part of stay is nice breakfast, complimentary drinks and snacks in evening and shuttle service. The location is also very scenic and calm place. I will definitely going to prefer staying in Embassy Suites during my next visit to Raleigh. It is worth staying there.

1  Thank Pankaj S

Dear Pankaj S: Thank you for staying with us and your very nice comments on the hotel. I love your description of the hotel as a "scenic and calm place". We are near I-40 and RDU Airport but at the hotel you would think that you are in a forest. I hope to see you on your next visit.