“Learn from my mistake! Don't stay here!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Extended Stay America - Raleigh - Cary - Regency Parkway South

Extended Stay America - Raleigh - Cary - Regency Parkway South
Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in Cary
“Learn from my mistake! Don't stay here!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

The absolute worst hotel I have ever, ever, ever stayed in!!!! Ever!!!

I was in town for a quick overnight trip, and had to book late, so this was the best hotel I could get on short notice since the US Open was in progress. This place will haunt my dreams forever. For ever ever.

Let's start with the entrance: it was dark and poorly lit. There were dozens of random people just milling about the parking lot at 11pm on a weeknight in the burbs. Bad omen #1.

When I checked in, a woman sitting at the desk had a fresh black eye. The lady checking me in and I just pretended neither of us saw it. Bad omen #2.

Once I got my keys and hiked the stairs (there is no elevator) to my room, I realized I'd made a mistake. Random people were just hanging out in the stairwell. The entire place reeked of smoke. Can you even smoke indoors anywhere, anymore?

I arrive at my room. And wouldn't you know it, the damn door number is laying on the floor, outside the room. Did it occur to anyone to perhaps glue this back up? Apparently not. Bad omen #3.

The room itself looked like something straight out of Section 8 Housing. Stained carpets. A broken door stop. A door latch that had clearly been caulked back on after someone broke it. A nasty stain on the couch. Filthy linoleum on the kitchen and bathroom floors. An HVAC unit with an inch of dust covering it. A bath tub that needed to be recaulked badly. Rusted lamps. Towels that might not have actually been laundered this week. A sprinkler that was probably not operational. A persistent smoky smell. Dim lighting. And the capper: a ring of unine on the toilet and one roll of single ply toilet paper. I've never been to prison, but I'd imagine it to be something close to this bathroom. I didn't use it.

At least the TV was brand new, so there's that.

At this point, I wasn't even thinking about laying in the filthy bed so I started looking for other hotels that might check me in if there was a last minute vacancy at midnight. No luck after an hour. I just went ahead and got in the bed (the linens probably hadn't been changed, and if they were, they definitely hadn't been washed) took some Melatonin to help me drift off quickly, and prayed to God nothing happened to me in my sleep.

Seriously, folks. Don't stay here. I don't care how much this place is discounted (my rate was about $79), just don't do it. If you have dignity and another $20, find someplace safer. If you don't have another $20, beg someone for it and stay somewhere nicer. Or just stay home.

Room Tip: Pro Tip: Don't stay here. Period.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Jay A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Beaumont, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

If it weren't for the smoke smell throughout this facility or the sandpaper towels this would be a nice low priced hotel.
Problem is those things cannot be ignored. We did not mind so much that it was required to turn in the towels to obtain fresh ones. But the ones given back are worn out and hard.
The breakfast looked unappetizing at best - we did not partake.
The kitchen in the room is nice and the overall cleanliness and comfort of the rooms were acceptable.
Fortunately Cary is easy to navigate and there are some nice cafés in the vicinity. Two in particular wee great - cary cafe and la farm are both can't miss for breakfast. Also nearby is Bocci Tratoria at which we ate twice.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Kelly B
Albany, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

Checked in for 2 nights, too late the first night to go elsewhere. 1st room assigned to we opened door to find ALL of the FURNITURE on TOP OF the beds. So creepy!!!! 2nd room was on 1st floor (not our preference). Best I can say is sheets & towels looked clean. Rest of the place not so much. Wouldn't walk in room or bath barefoot at all. No glasses or cups to use to drink water. Not enough trash cans (only 1 tiny one in bathrm). No hairdryer or shampoo or anything. Awful place except Danielle at front desk was as helpful as she could be Checked out in morning & went to nearby Courtyard by Marriott! Our trip was saved! To their credit, this hotel did refund the $ we had paid in advance for 2nd night. PS: Free breakfast worth skipping it.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Collegemargot
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Rohit D
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

We had a family get together in Cary and used Extended Stay for my wife and I, daughter, son, and granddaughter. We took two rooms and had a great time. The rooms were clean, large, well equipped and quiet. The beds were very comfortable and the staff was great.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Stonemountain
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

I had stayed at this hotel during the simmer 7/2013 and it was pretty clean and comfortable. I stayed again last month 9/2013 and I could not believe the room I was given! There were stains on the sofa and the bed linen was spotty. There was a very unpleasant order in the room and throughout the hallways. The staff is pretty friendly however, when you need someone at the front desk, there are times when you have to stand and wait for some one to come and assist you and you can actually hear them in the back office. The housekeepers do a half job cleaning your room. I actually sat in my room while the housekeeper cleaned and could not believe what I saw. They do not use any type of real cleaning products to clean the bathroom nor kitchen. She had a rag that she put on the floor and used her foot to wipe around the floors. It is over priced and not worth the money I paid for a week! I would not stay at Extended stay America on Regency Parkway in Cary, NC again!! A total different experience from my first visit and this will be my last.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Peaches G
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

I loved this hotel! The room was outstanding - a huge suite with a living area (couch, work table with two comfortable work chairs, large-screen flat panel TV, DVD player), a sleeping area (one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept in - a 4 or 5 star type bed), and a complete, separate kitchen with full-size refrigerator, four-burner range, dishwasher, utensils, long counter with two barstools, etc. It was very clean and modern, with modern heat/AC etc. This is an excellent hotel, and for the money, it's not just a bargain - it's a steal!

This hotel is a business suites type property in the economy/value segment of that market. In case folks are not familiar with the concept, I will describe it here, because it's different from more typical hotel properties. These hotels are designed for longer-term stays by people who are typically on business in the area. In general, the room is better (bigger, nicer) than many two-star hotels, but the level of some services is not that high. For example, housekeeping is only performed once a week (unless you're willing to pay an extra charge), although you can exchange linens and towels for clean ones at the front desk at any time. And there aren't bellmen/valets, etc. Which may or may not matter to you, depending on your needs. The folks at the front desk were available and helpful.

Regarding those services...

• Free Breakfast was a "grab and go" breakfast, consisting of apples, oranges, granola bars, packaged mini-muffins, or toast.

• Free Internet in room - the standard internet is free, and speed is sufficient for e-mail and web browsing. Thursday night it was speedy enough to watch TV shows, but Sunday it wasn't, showing them with herky-jerky motion. For an optional charge of $4/day or $15/week, you can get a higher-speed priority, but that really wasn't necessary for my needs.

• Outdoor Swimming Pool - closed for the season

• Free Parking - yes, and plentiful

This hotel was outstanding and perfect for my needs. I loved the room and the area. And it was an incredible bargain. I highly recommend it.

Note that there are two Extended Stay America properties just down the street from each other, with similar names. This is the one at 3100 Regency Parkway. It's in a nice area, surrounded by other hotels and corporate office buildings.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo