“Not the best, just okay”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Raleigh/Cary
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Cary
Reviewed August 11, 2010

Booked here on a suggestion from my local salesman, it is close to his house and calls were were going to make. The location is very remote and quite, but close to food and shops.

The front desk folks were great, food service people very friendly. Food was average, but folks you have to realize it is free afterall. If you want quality go to a restaurant to eat. Some of the other reviewers were knocking the food, guess what you get what you pay for, this stuff is free so what do you expect?

The hotel is a little rough around the edges, but is okay, nothing more than that though.

The shower head in my room would only allow a dribble of water. Called the front desk and in 2-3 minutes a guy came to fix it.

My biggest issue is the guest computer that I needed to use to print my airline boarding pass. It took 45 minutes to print what should have taken 5 minutes max. It was like being on dialup again. The wireless in my room is quick so it had to be the computer. They either need to replace that junk computer or offer from the room printing options.

I stayed here two nights, the rate is on the high end considering the night before I stayed at another Hilton owned hotel (Hampton) for almost half the price and had a much nicer bath room anf bed.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed July 26, 2010

I stay in a lot of Hilton Properties on average 70 a year and this Homewood was a difficult property to review. It's like one minute you like something then the next it slaps you in the face.I'll start with the room it's big has flat screen TVs etc, but the decor is so 1980s and the fridge and micowave are from the 80s! I know we had the same microwave when I was a kid and I'm 37 now! But then you hit the bedroom and another nice big flat screen TV not bad and still plenty of room for a king suite, but the old decor and 1980s appliances leave you wanting a little more.

The fitness room had no AC not that it was busted just that there was no AC and it's 103 outside. The exercise mats had a lot of dirt on them and needed to be cleaned.

The dinner downstairs was a joke horrible instant mashed potatoes, steamed veggies and some kind of riblets, but what's this Redoak on draft and Miller lite plus red and white wine. Again slap me in the face with crappy food, but pull out free draft beer and wine. Also there was a very vulgar comment made by a woman staffer to a male guest that really shocked me while there was a whole dinning room full of kids I'm glad the guy didn't respond back as she was way out of line.

So to put it this way I would stay here again but not for the free food or the staff but I like free beer and the rate I can justify, but if you are a business traveler of have a family the food is not worth it so save your money and if you like to work out then move on to another Hilton property.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 13, 2010

The customer service at Hilton Homewood Suites is called "pass the buck". I was charged for two rooms but only stayed in one. Each person, including the manager, Bake Baker, says it will get corrected. But, to date there has been no correction. Mr. Baker never returned the last phone call. When asked for a regional manager, I was told there was none. I was also told there were not supervisors in customer service. No one at this Cary NC hotel wanted to help you.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
HomewoodAGM, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Raleigh/Cary, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2010

I noticed that you stated that you were charged for 2 rooms and you only had one... could you please provide me with contact information so that I can follow up with this to ensure that this is corrected. If someone has corrected already at the hotel it normally takes 7-10 business days for the credit card company to reflect it back on your credit card. If you would like to contact me please feel free to do so.

Alisha McKenzie
Assistant General Manager
amckenzie@alliancehospitality.com
919-467-5934

Reviewed July 8, 2010

The Homewood Suites is a great value. They have a beautiful hotel, nice landscaping, big rooms. The breakfast was awesome. On the negative side - the pool closes at 8 pm, and the hotel is pretty isolated. There is not a large selection of restaurants nearby.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 13, 2010

I've been using this hotel for the past 6 years and I will not stay here again. This stay was for nearly three weeks.

Upon my arrival I had a conflict with the room rate and a published promotional rate. Hotel Management was unwilling to honor published promotional rate which is good until December 2010.

I left my tooth brush at home and asked the front desk if they could help me. "NO" was the answer. Two days in a row I heard “We have toothpaste but no brushes for you to BUY" Wow thanks for welcoming me back "Home" what a joke!

Its 90+ on the weekend so why not head out to the lake. I asked the front desk for a pool towel for the beach at 9:15am and they told me I couldn't have a towel until 10am when the pool opens. I insisted I must have a pool towel to avoid soiling the room towels. In an unpleasant tone the front desk instructed me to use the room towels. Well now their beautiful soft white towels are orange.

One good thing is the Hilton furnishing are a good quality. The bed and pillows are nice.

In the end Poor food quality and selection combined with horrible service makes the Homewood Suites anything but your Home away from Home. What a shame.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
bakebaker, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Raleigh/Cary, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2010

We are sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of services and amenities you deserve. We understand that business travel is very important, therefore we try hard to make sure all our guests have a rewarding experience at Homewood Suites. I will be reaching out to you in order to make this right.

Bake Baker

Reviewed May 13, 2010

Upon check in, I walked into the kitchenette of our two bedroom suite and slipped. It was like the floor had been cleaned with pledge. I placed a towel down and warned my family. My daughter slipped, and I slipped again, falling badly. I called the front desk, they came back and cleaned, but it did not help.
Asked for a pack n play. We got one, without sheets. Asked for sheets, and they gave me regular bed sheets. Moms, you know that regular bed sheets on a pack n play presents suffocaiton issues, which I informed the front desk of. No response. Not even a word.
Our room was right next to the pool, like directly in front of it with a door leading out. Upon check in, I told the clerk that this was probably too close to the pool for a family with two kids under 2 noise wise. She said the hotel was booked and she would be happy to check me out. LITERALLY, those were her first words. I WOULD BE HAPPY TO CHECK YOU OUT.
Let's go straight to 1am, when I am awakened by my two children awake and crying. I see shadows outside of my window, and loud shouting. I look out, and there is a full blown adult party, complete with drunk men STANDING ON COOLERS literally 5 feet from my window. I call the front desk, I hear someone yelling to SHUT UP after I complain. No improvement in noise. I call again, no response. After a half hour, I call the front desk, tell them that the next step will be me calling the police and my husband going out to shut down the party in his boxers. They finally shut it down. No sleep for me.
Let me tell you that the next day, I called the same clerk and asked for the manager. "I am the manager." I decided to call it quits as there was no desire to make me happy or make it up to me. Even though on the TV at the hotel, there is something called the suite guarantee, where if you are not happy your stay is free. Garbage. I am not happy. and we paid over 400 bucks a night for two nights for the worst stay I have ever had. I would rather stay in a budget motel and get what I pay for than to throw my money down the tubes to be treated like I do not matter by the staff MANAGER. Poorly done. This hotel lost the loyalty of my family and company after this stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 2, 2010

While I will admit that the other reviewers are correct about the inept front desk staff, I still love the rooms at this hotel! Staying there was a very restful experience, the rooms are lovely and sparkling clean! The hotel is located in a beautiful wooded area, but still close to restaurants and shopping!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple