“Great for the price”

Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Cary
Hampton, Virginia
“Great for the price”
Reviewed November 11, 2010

A lot of people have given negative reviews of this La Quinta and their complaints are valid. Why am I so positive? This is a value hotel that's clean and accommodating. For me they have been the best at their price point. When something goes wrong, and it will, the staff is more than willing to take care of it. It's hard to keep up with everything that goes wrong with a room if it isn't reported to maintenance - you really can't fault them for that. I have been given a room where there was undiscovered damage so I know that things do go unreported; especially if someone feels that they'll be charged for damage. On mentioning the problem I was immediately given another room. I am one of those people who sometimes travels with their dog. True, some dogs will bark and whine but for the most part I've encountered responsible owners. The hotel tries to keep people with dogs in a single area so as not to disturb people who are not animal or dog lovers. And if you've ever had to make an emergency trip (which this was for me) and had no one to care for your pet the convenience of having them travel with you with NO added cost is great. So before you book you may want to call the hotel and ask them if any special events are in town or if they are hosting a lot of guests. This will help you determine if staying there is right for you. Again, clean and cheap? On a budget you can't go wrong.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed July 17, 2010

I booked this hotel, day of our stay, I called the "direct" number to book a reservation. I was told that there were rooms available, gave my information, including my credit card #. When we arrived with young children after 8pm. We were told that they were sold out. I explained and showed my confirmation number. I was then told that I booked it through there national # and that no rooms were availalble. The front desk girl was only slightly helpful, making it seem like my issue. I demanded that they contact a hotel nearby, find a room, with the same options that we had booked. She seemed frazzeled, I ended up calling from my cell another nationally known hotel. They were happy to take my family, even at a lesser cost, than this hotel would normally charge.This hotel needs to get their issues under control.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank eagleoh
cortez
Reviewed March 26, 2010

5th floor smoke makes it into 2nd floor bathroom vent and stinks room up. Dogs barking and whining and owners talking too loudly in halls at nite and early am. Sunday Church
service was way oo loud and 4 hours long, sounded like a voodoo ritual with yelling and chanting.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
North Carolina
Reviewed February 28, 2010

We are usually a LaQuinta family, so we were extrememly disappointed in this stay. Checked in on Friday night; our television did not work. Switched to another room and started unpacking only to find our room would not get warm.; heater didnt work! Repacked and taken to another room. (3rd one)
Next morning, Saturday, we went to "breakfast" downstairs, which is sort of minimal and arranged in the most nonsensical way....coffee on one end, cream on the other end; toaster on one counter,bagels on a different table; cereal on one end, milk opposite side, really wierd! 'So...we grab an English muffin, and make one waffle.As we are eating, we notice the kitchen worker straightening up and bringing food out. She was getting wrapped plastic forks out of a box and dropped them all on the floor...scoops them all up off the dirty floor and still stuffed them in the container on the counter! Then proceeded to push the trash down in the garbage can with her gloved hands that she then touched breads and food items on the counter. THEN as we sat and watched to see if it could get any worse, she scraped stuck on food off food counter with a plastic knife, then used the same knife to clean the waffle iron, and she got rid of the crumbs by BLOWING on it! We stopped eating, and left.
THEN we go back to our room and our key does NOT open our door; had to go back down to tell the clerk. She told us we were trying to get into the wrong room, that we were 414 and not 403. We tried 414 and it did not open that door! Went back downstairs and told the clerk and said "Oh you ARE in 403 and not 414, your key just didn't work." and gave us the another key!
The entire day was spent at a memorial service and then a family gathering till 9:00 pm...we returned mentally and physically exhausted only to find our room had not been cleaned or serviced at all!. My daughter went down to the desk to ask for towels and to inform them we were leaving in the morning, (we were supposed to stay one more night!)
We actually thought at one point we were being "Punked" but it was not funny.
This is exactly what we experienced.
They did give us a free stay but I would have preferred to pay and had a much needed stress-free stay!

• Stayed February 2010
2 Thank tannerlukenana
the Berkshires
Reviewed November 12, 2009

We stayed 3 nights during visit to family. Spacious comfortable room with good climate control. Hotel has excellent breakfast area - even waffles! We found it convenient to everywhere we needed to go in Cary. There was a light mildew scent when we first entered the room, but it was addressed more than adequately by the General Manager, Carl. We were on the first floor and there was ample parking. We would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Montreal
Reviewed October 20, 2009

I've recently stayed at this La Quinta Hotel at Cary, NC and enjoyed my stay, including the free breakfast and the overall clean impression of the hotel. I consider this is better than average 2 star hotel, with news paper delivery, a fridge, coffee maker in the room, easy check-out service, but don't expect a bar in the room or in the lobby, nor good smelling shampoo or moisturizers...:)
The sound proofing could definitely be improved as you hear the neighbor’s TV/alarm quite clearly.
Staff is friendly and beds are comfortable. Location is fine within the Cary, NC area. Walmart is close by and so are some restaurants. Good for a business stay. No complaints, but I wouldn't stay for a family vacation, though, even though a small outside pool and a gym are available.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Durham, NC
Reviewed October 17, 2009

Was on weekend getaway with wife and son. Chose LaQuinta because I've had good experiences when staying in their suites, however, this time big disappointment. The front desk staff was friendly, however, the overall presentation of the hotel was a disappointment the moment I went to the elevator and walked to the room. Carpet unkempt in halls. The first room I went looked like it wasn't cleaned properly and smelled like a cheap hotel. The bed sheet didn't look fresh. The room just didn't have a good feel. I asked front desk to see another room and they complied. I went to another room and that room was also gave me the creeps. Finally, I just went to front desk and told staff I didn't want to stay. So I left.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family