“chinese”
Review of Gourmet Kingdom

Gourmet Kingdom
Ranked #17 of 76 Restaurants in Carrboro
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We were wanting to find a real chinese restaurant. This is it. We picked the worse day to attend (New Years). My husbands pecan shrimp were large and plentiful but the dish was served warm. After an hour this was the first dish served so he did not send it back. The waiter told me not to get the fried whole duck. It was tasty but I would not get it again. The other dishes were very nice. One was the sizzling shrimp and chicken. It came very hot and looked wonderful. The lamb and green onion dish also looked very good. We plan to return and sample more dishes. Very few people speak clear English so it was hard to communicate. They split the check at the end at the cash register which was complicating for us. They took a reservation but they could not find it when we arrived. They sat us quickly but service was slow. Again it was New Year.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

The menu here is extensive, with some very exotic choices. My favorite so far is the eggplant. I've tried two different dishes so far. My husband loves the General Tao Jumbo Shrimp dish. You can eat in their large dining room, they also have a small private room, or take out. Service is prompt, but it's sometimes difficult to get the waiter's attention once you're served, so try to get everything you need while he's there. Their pot stickers are handmade there, I saw them being made.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Lots of dishes to choose from, many that need explaining re ingredients and preparation...fun! Not your average local Chinese joint, for a change.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

But, you should check what you're ordering. I had the sizzling rice shrimp, which had neither sizzling rice nor any shrimp to speak of. It was mostly fish -- tilapia, I'd guess -- and a few tiny shrimp. It was on rice cakes, which were tasty. My husband had a fried rice with much larger and tastier shrimp, so I know they had them back there. We also had the green beans -- terrific. The menu goes back to front and had great choices, We'll go again.

Service was not good and seemed random with no assigned server. I think we had 4 people in the course of our meal.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

I love this place!

I admit the decor is low-rent. Parking sometimes can be problematical.

But the Szchuan dishes! Oh, they are wonderful.

This is the real thing. I just wish there were a Chinese restaurant as good as this in my home town of Asheville.

1  Thank LanSluderBelize