“Authentic for this area”
Review of Gourmet Kingdom

Gourmet Kingdom
Ranked #19 of 76 Restaurants in Carrboro
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Lots of dishes to choose from, many that need explaining re ingredients and preparation...fun! Not your average local Chinese joint, for a change.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

But, you should check what you're ordering. I had the sizzling rice shrimp, which had neither sizzling rice nor any shrimp to speak of. It was mostly fish -- tilapia, I'd guess -- and a few tiny shrimp. It was on rice cakes, which were tasty. My husband had a fried rice with much larger and tastier shrimp, so I know they had them back there. We also had the green beans -- terrific. The menu goes back to front and had great choices, We'll go again.

Service was not good and seemed random with no assigned server. I think we had 4 people in the course of our meal.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

I love this place!

I admit the decor is low-rent. Parking sometimes can be problematical.

But the Szchuan dishes! Oh, they are wonderful.

This is the real thing. I just wish there were a Chinese restaurant as good as this in my home town of Asheville.

1  Thank LanSluderBelize
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Quite unlike typical Chinese restaurants across the U.S., the kitchen here turns out cuisine that's close to identical to what one finds in restaurants in China! The a la carte menu is extensive and includes many genuine Chinese dishes that are not found in most U.S. restaurants. This is possibly due to the large Asian population in the area, including students at the University of North Carolina in neighboring Chapel Hill. Unlike the flavorless brown sauce used for too many dishes in typical U.S. Chinese restaurants, the Chinese cooking served here features a variety of delicate sauces, the trademark of authentic Asian cuisine. The Twice Cooked Pork (pork belly) was just one example. The Eggplant in Garlic Sauce is so delicious that it's hard to believe it's made with eggplant. Another treat was Smoked Tea Duck with a subtle, smoky flavor created by smoking pieces of duck over smouldering tea leaves and served with a dab of hoisin sauce on the side, reminiscent of famous Peking Duck. The Squirrel Fish was crispy and sweet (again with a unique sauce), very close to what one finds in China. These entrees were served with a large bowl of rice to be shared along with the entrees.
It was good that we were not in a hurry, since service during our visit was quite slow, leaving plenty of time for conversation while waiting for each entree to appear. It's unknown if the many minutes between servings was due to an off time for the kitchen staff or usual at this restaurant.

1  Thank David O
Reviewed July 20, 2012

. . . then ask for recommendations. Incredible. Spices I have never experienced before. All so warming and delicious.

1  Thank jazzalto