“Great chicken and waffles!”
Review of Southern Rail

Southern Rail
Ranked #48 of 76 Restaurants in Carrboro
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
North Pole, Alaska
“Great chicken and waffles!”
Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

This was my second trip to Southern Rail and both trips have been very pleasurable. I love their fried chicken, in any form. I usually end up stealing a chicken strip from my 3 year olds plate. The restaraunt has a laid back feel and possibly over exuberant wait staff (Sterling that means you). Overall I definitely recommend.

Pittsboro, North Carolina
“Better then expected lunch!”
Reviewed April 10, 2014

My girlfriend and I stopped in because it had a nice little patio area. We both had the Little Christy, which was a veggie sandwich with basil pesto that we added grilled chicken too! And when I say grilled chicken, it had the grill marks. Oh my, the flavor was awesome and they toasted the sourdough, the sweet tater fries were nice and crisp! Will be back again, service was great!

• Visited April 2014
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Disappointing.....”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

On a recent Saturday visit to the area, we chose Southern Rail to have lunch. We didn't realize they only offered brunch on Saturdays and since we had an an early breakfast, brunch was not what we wanted -- so I'll take the blame for not realizing it was a brunch menu. But....my son-in-law wanted a beer -- they were out of both that he ordered (and they were on the menu). To their credit, they served the beer on the house. From there, it was downhill. We asked our waitress if it was possible to order something more lunch-like. She checked with the kitchen and they sent word that they didn't have ingredients -- it was 12:45 and this menu concluded at 2:00. How could they not have ingredients??? I specifically asked if the spinach salad was entrée size -- at an $8 price tag. She said yes -- it was the size of a house salad. The rest ordered burgers and they all were disappointed -- to the point my daughter wondered if she would get sick later. Too bad -- the atmosphere is fun and attractive. Maybe they are more interested in being a bar instead of a restaurant. I doubt we will return. We spent way too much money for such poor quality food.

• Visited March 2014
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Vintage train cars and train station restaurant in downtown Carrboro.”
Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

First warm day of Spring and came for lunch on their patio. Recommend their BBQ sandwich with tater tots. Lots of beer on tap to select from.

• Visited March 2014
Charlotte
“Interesting, but don't expect much.”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Carrboro is a cool little town, and the Southern Rail initially appears to have great promise to fit in as a cool place to eat and drink, having the converted rail cars and all. The 4 of us had been eager to try it out, but we wished we'd had lower expectations. The service was very bland, a low interest in the diners, more interest in hanging with co-workers. The food was so-so, only one of us especially enjoyed their meal. We tried the black bean burger, an omelet, and huevos rancheros (the latter being the best). Also had a bloody mary - one of the worst ever had. Dashed hopes, but there are other good options in the area.

• Visited November 2013