“ok for a drink outside” 1 of 5 bubbles

Southern Rail
Ranked #42 of 74 Restaurants in Carrboro
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Wilmington, North Carolina
“ok for a drink outside”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

It was a beautiful day so we sat outside for a drink. The restaurant was fairly empty so there shouldn't have been any reason that one, of the 3 employees that I asked, couldn't bring me a glass for my beer. I finally gave up and never did get the glass. We wanted to order a snack off the appetizer menu but we were having a hard time trying to decide since the menu was very boring and had nothing different. Before deciding I ran to the restroom to wash my hands and it was absolutely disgusting! It completly turned my stomache and it looked as if it had not been cleaned, or even checked, in a very long time. It was filthy. It seems that the owners/managers could have a goldmine with this location and setting if they just paid attention to details like the menu choices, hiring attentive servers and maintaining the cleanliness of the restaurant. I will never go back, even to sit outside. Big disappointment.

• Visited April 2013

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very Good for Brunch on Weekends”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Delicious Sunday brunch. Good drinks all of the time and fun trivia on most Wednesdays. Plus, it is fun to eat/drink in an old train car. I've never had anything besides tater tots and brunch there, both of which I heartily recommend.

• Visited February 2013
Winston Salem, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I ate here before a show at Cat's Cradle. He had the steak, which he described as divine. He also greatly enjoyed the mashed potatoes and vegetable medley that came with it. I had the chicken sandwich, fried with avocado added. It has to be one of the best chicken sandwiches I have ever eaten. We both agreed that we would eat here again in a heartbeat. We also agreed that we would bring my parents here when they come in to town. Not only for the great food, but the decor, since my dad is a train fanatic.

Chapel Hill, NC
“Terrific and local”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

This place is like a tourist attraction on its own. There was no real major passenger train station on site, as far as I know, but there was a significant railway in this area. They have taken that depot feeling and made an amazing site for a restaurant, especially in nice weather, but great year-round. Food is good, not great, but prices are totally fair. Overall, an excellent space in Carrboro.

Visited November 2012
Miami, Florida
“Go for the atmosphere, not the food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

Nine family members had early dinner reservations at 5pm and already several entrees
were not available so last minute switch to a hotdog, etc was less than what we expected from such a popular place. People line up outside to wait for a table just so they can eat in an old train car. Some of our food choices were very good, especially spicy mac & cheese and philly steak. Drinks and dessert will add considerably to your tab. Desserts are very small so do not expect to share your $8 piece of cake. Waffles & chicken is a mediocre dish with nothing else besides a few possibly previously frozen small waffles and a few fried chicken nuggets. Overall
a unique place to have an average meal.

• Visited January 2013