“You can't run a restaurant like this. Appalling.”
Review of Southern Rail

Southern Rail
Ranked #49 of 76 Restaurants in Carrboro
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed June 10, 2012

My husband and I stopped here since Tyler's was closed for renovations. We were looking for a decent meal and good beer. The waitress informed us they were out of 5 of their 8ish drafts, all the good ones. We decided to stick it out, so I ordered the house salad ($7) plus the tots and my husband got the fish tacos. They came out reasonably fast but the salad was a handful of mixed greens and a handful of chopped tomatoes, carrots, and cucumbers. I could have purchased all the ingredients for less than $2, and would expect to pay $5 tops for a salad like that in a nicer restaurant. The tots were decent but tasted like grease. Mahi mahi in the tacos was dry but they were decent overall. After taking our order, the waitress never showed back up until bringing us our credit card after we had to give it to someone else to pay. All in all, it was one of the worst restaurant experiences I've had in the triangle. The positives are: really nice host and nice back porch. If they had all their beers on tap, a good place to get drinks and chill.

Reviewed April 17, 2012

Huge place with a variety of music and seating options, beer garden, box car, deck, you pick. Food was generous, had the Nachos (huge). Prices were reasonable. Beer garden looks like a great summer spot to cool off and enjoy a beer.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

Some friends and I went to this little place, and I was very pleased with everything they had to offer. The food was very good, the wait staff were awesome. The bartender did a wonderful job with our drinks. And the atmosphere will give you something to talk about. It is really an awesome place to eat and hang out.

Reviewed March 7, 2012

I made reservations because I heard it was very small. That was fine. But when you get there no one is there to greet you & it is hard to know if you are in the "right place" The waitress was not friendly & did not sem to want to be there. It took about 20 minutes for 1 beer and a glass of wine to get to the table. She realized that it was slow! but she did not seem to care. The food was fine. I am not picky but we were dissapointed. I think it might be a better place to go hear music and stay in the bar? I

Reviewed February 2, 2012

Was recommended to us as a place where they have good music (live entertainment).
Not very clean and very poor service.
We ended up leaving without eating.