“Great find in Carrboro”
Review of Acme

Acme
Reserve with OpenTable
Acme is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 77 Restaurants in Carrboro
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: The ovens are turned on early. Six o'clock most days. Earlier on Sunday. Within an hour, bread is rising, apples are being sliced. Pecan pies are pulled hot from the oven and left to cool. Ice cream churns in the machine. Cups of coffee steam on the prep table, the baker's cup marked with chocolaty fingerprints. By midmorning, pork shoulder, rubbed with spices the day before, is slowly smoked. And white buckets are filled with sliced onions. Corn is shucked. The stock that cooked all night is taken off the stove and strained. Bags of fresh shrimp are delivered in old grocery store bags. The waiters arrive in groups, shirts and ties on hangers. By then, every burner in the kitchen is being used. Herbs are chopped. Scallops cleaned. Ovens at 500 degrees. All sauces are checked. Bartenders polish their shakers. Silverware is rolled and every surface is wiped down. Music. Lights. Doors are opened. Dinnertime. At Acme. Seven nights a week. Local never tasted so damn good.
Reviewed October 22, 2013

A welcome culinary experience for visitors to UNC. Interesting, creative food in a funky setting. A good change from most of the fast food on Franklin Street.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

This was our second visit to Acme. This time we brought friends. And Acme did not disappoint. Love the laid back atmosphere. Very nice but not pretentious. Service was spot on. And the food was fantastic. Started with the fried green tomato appetizer - mmm, mmm! Slow roasted pork with mushroom mac & cheese was heavenly. My wife had the seafood stew which was also great. Our friends loved their meals as well. Finished with apple cobbler - also delicious. Really enjoy Acme - just enough choice and variety to keep it interesting and they seem to continue to deliver. Will definitely look forward to visit number three soon.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Met friends at Acme for dinner. I've had love/hate experiences here in the past. Unfortunately, this was another in a string of disappointments. The main problem for me was the lack of taste. My shrimp chili relleno with molé was short on shrimp and the molé was somewhat thin with none of the rich taste usually associate with molé. The organic field green salad was fine, but needed more acid.

One of my friends ordered the smoked pork shoulder, BBQ sauce, four cheese & mushroom macaroni & cheese. This came out as two mounds that were about the same size and color. Not particularly appetizing, and she sent it back because it was cold. The oysters in another friend's oyster fried salad were over fried.

It was also very dark. People were using their phones as flashlights to read the menu. Saw at least two tables using this method.

There was a small selection of wine by the glass, but these turned out to be quite nice.

The service as excellent. We were not rushed. The waiter was attentive without breathing down our necks. They were very apologetic about the cold food. In fact, thanks to the service, we had a good time. Otherwise it would have been a shot night out.

1  Thank Julia S
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I thought the food here was excellent, and the service was also attentive. So why am I not giving it a five? I had the BBQ pig and thought that it was a bit dry. Also, all of the portions were way too big: the appetizer, the entree, and the dessert. I know this may sound odd to complain about, but it was a bit much for me.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Went in on a Wednesday night at 8:15pm and the place was hopping! Thank goodness we had reservations - this is a popular place. We were promptly seated and our server was very attentive. Started out with the corn bread app - fantastic! Make sure you order it! For dinner I had the pulled pork bowl and my gf had the shrimp meal. Both were great.

Acme was wonderful - I am glad to spread the word about it and hope you try it out!